Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default I'm over it..

Yes, Im over it. Went to work today and had the sales meeting to discuss the results for June. My division - 17 leads, 4 sales, which I thought was pretty good seeing as June is the first month Ive been with the company, and what I sell is in excess of $4k+ per unit on average.

But noooooooooooooooooo - evil numbercrunching dollar chasing %$#@& of a boss doesnt think its good enough, and Im really tired of it. She carted herself off up to the Gold Coast for the past 2 weeks while i worked my **** off trying to sort thru the mess my predecessor left the business in, and I get no thanks or support, i just get told I need to sell more. Not happy.

At this particular point in time Im actually very tempted to setup a business for myself, doing something automotive related - was thinking of becoming a one stop shop for most auto modifications i.e. bodykits, window tints, exhaust systems etc, because there is literally one place like that here, and they dont do anything other than Bodykits and tints. The only thing stopping me from doing it is the insecurity, and the crapload of work setting up a new business takes.

Argh, so annoyed about now. So this can be "have a vent about your workplace/boss/coworkers" thread. I know we've done it before, but it never hurts to have a whinge :.

Old 19-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Hahah try working with your farther!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your determined and can afford the setup go for it,you will need to do a business plan projecting about5/10 yrs. There is a lot of help out there from the gov't with grants etc to help you setup.
Do your homework,check it out and if your up to it...go for it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I wanted to work for my Dad and he wouldn't let me. :
He owns a bus company, and I'm the only child, but I don't get the business when he goes anyway, so he didn't see the point of me working in a dead end job.
Instead I have a dead end job in Woolworths :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least woolies will be around for while yet.lol

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Fair enough your making the turnover, but are you seeing enough profit? I think that could be the point your boss is trying make. I could be wrong however.

Why not ask her for clarification, then guage what you should do.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Fair enough your making the turnover, but are you seeing enough profit? I think that could be the point your boss is trying make. I could be wrong however.

Why not ask her for clarification, then guage what you should do.
Yeah, done that. I'm not selling enough. In other words, Im not making enough money for her to cover the $1240 speeding fine she got this week.
Old 19-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oh snap!

Fair enough then.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
Damo
Banned

where do you work ? What do you sell ?
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

You may find this a strange suggestion.
Let me reccommend you read a book called "who moved my cheese"
It's about dealing with change and insecurities and "comfort zones" we all get into. It may be just the thing to allow you to open your own buisness.
Its a very short book and I read it in two hours, I am a very slow reader.
Cheese is used as a metaphor for what makes you happy.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

why not set-up an internet parts/supplier business to feel the water.. No shop front rent, alot less overheads... If you have a market then expand to a retail situation. Just a thought..

Don't worry to much about it B2TF, some people always hide their own inadequacies by belittling the people they have working for them. She was probably a school bully

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #12
hambo_12

Aussie,

For the sheer number of car enthusiasts locally, and the lack of (good, reliable) performance shops, you cant really go wrong...

I mean, im sure a hell of a lot of work has gone elsewhere due to Wagga's lack of options...

Mate, GO FOR IT, ill be the first customer in line...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Tell her to get funked and set up your own business.

Your boss sounds like a royal b.i.a.t.c.h, B2F. The kind of boss that no matter what you do, she will never be satisfied.

Set your self up to go into business for yourself. You already have the attention of an advertising medium with 6 653 potential customers and rising. Once you're set up, you can headbutt the cow and kick-start your own company.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.

Last edited by Shonky; 20-07-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
You may find this a strange suggestion.
Let me reccommend you read a book called "who moved my cheese"
It's about dealing with change and insecurities and "comfort zones" we all get into. It may be just the thing to allow you to open your own buisness.
Its a very short book and I read it in two hours, I am a very slow reader.
Cheese is used as a metaphor for what makes you happy.
Bad enough to have to sit through that optimistic tripe because the HR Nazi's have goose stepped into the building to lift the moral of the slaves.

Reading it of my own volition would make me consider checking myself in for psychiatric treatment involving large amounts of drugs and electricity.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

How your employer conduct their affair or uses their time is not your concern! Granted many lose the way, but your only concern is your corner.

Think you can do better with your own business go for it. Think starting/running building a business is easy think again.

The issue is your time and work, and your rewards for the same work how your employer conducts their time is their business, their cash being played with and their ultimate demise if they get it wrong or lose the business focus.

Business focus isn't a late model 4cyl ford on a novated lease btw.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #16
eb2flyz
bettering 13.7

i would highly suggest reading Robert kiosaki's Cashflow Quadrant, it will help you decide on what you really want to do and also ways of looking at building a real business. as some body has already said look @ setting up an internet based business, because this is where the future will be.

1 ? does anybody know what critical mass is? if you do you will be the ppl that understand what i'm talking about

FPV/Tickford Club of W.A

Performance is Electronic

BPT Motorsport
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #17
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Aust., if you are seriously considering starting your own business, PM me. As you know I'm a local (almost) and some of the stuff I've learnt from my studies (Bachelor of Business, Marketing) could be VERY beneficial in starting a new business. We could make a good team! I'm looking for full-time work in Marketing atm (hint hint to anyone needing a marketing graduate)

Its ironic that you want to start your own performance shop, some of my mates and I have talked about doing that ourselves (have friends that include a mechanic, accountant, sparky, and real estate agent in Wagga...and I also know a very reputable [diesel] mechanic in Wagga that 'knows' people). Sometimes its who you know, not what you know!
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Mmm, it's very tempting.

Here's a little background on the situation.

I work for a company that sells Patios, Glassrooms, carports, that sort of thing. My focus is Solahart water systems, which is a different avenue but still run by the same business. Hence Im employed to keep selling them and handle any problems that arise.

The pay is good, the commissions are handy but lately Ive just found myself not enjoying it. I like working with people, but if somebody says no, then as far as im concerned, it means no. This is where I differ in opinion with my boss, she feels I should be able to 'convert' these people into customers. But when we're talking about hot water systems (not a product you buy for the hell of it) that cost in most cases in excess of $3k (as compared to around $2k for gas etc), it can be at times very difficult.

But more to the point, Im not enjoying what Im doing. I not enjoying having to charge people to help them, and i know thats called business, but to me, if im getting up and going to work every day for the next x amount of years, I want to be making a difference, helping people, and more importantly - having fun doing it. And lets face it, selling hot water systems isnt exactly thrilling at the best of times.

I like the idea of being able to help somebody enjoy their car further - just tonight dad and i fitted a woodgrain shifter surround, and he loves the result. A simple change but one thats made him happy he did it. Thats the sort of stuff i thrive on - seeing people happy because of something ive helped them with. And working with people to make their cars even nicer sounds like a lot of fun to me.

There's no doubt it would be a BUTTLOAD of work, to say the very least. But I think in the end it'd be worth it. A long, hard, frustrating road, but at the end - not so much buckets of money, but more satisfaction. Id rather be poor and happy than rich and snobby anyway.

There's definately a lot to think about.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

btf,take your time sus out all your options,perhaps start small while you still have full time job,the internet stuff.

Whatever you do do not give up a pay packet until you are sure you can generate your own.

Yes it is a great feeling that you've helped someone but remember this....YOU still have bills to pay.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
btf,take your time sus out all your options,perhaps start small while you still have full time job,the internet stuff.

Whatever you do do not give up a pay packet until you are sure you can generate your own.

Yes it is a great feeling that you've helped someone but remember this....YOU still have bills to pay.
Oh dont worry John thats all the first thing in my mind. I wont be giving this job up until I find another secure one.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Bad enough to have to sit through that optimistic tripe because the HR Nazi's have goose stepped into the building to lift the moral of the slaves.

Reading it of my own volition would make me consider checking myself in for psychiatric treatment involving large amounts of drugs and electricity.

He He, they gave us all a copy before the last series of redundancies, a couple of months ago Catbert made us watch the video, 14,500 job losses announced today. Me thinks a pattern is forming here......
Old 20-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #22
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=back2thefutura]Mmm, it's very tempting.

Here's a little background on the situation.

snip/

Me thinks that you need to consider whether you want to be in sales at all, we have engineers who have made the transition to sales and they always get frustrated with management who expect them to convert every prospect to a sale.
Having said that if you can find an organisation that allows you to sell through building a genuine relationship with the customer and providing them with what they need you will do well, it's just that the organisations that sell that way are few and far between.

Regards,
Tote
Old 20-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #23
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TOTE you work for IBM/HP...thats a lot of jobs to go 30000+ world wide man that sucks,unfortunately it justs proves the .....your nothing but a number on a bit of paper...theory.
It does'nt matter how loyal.how much you haved proved your value to the company,when your numbers up ...your gone.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #24
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Try working with your son
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #25
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
i work with my father-in-law hes my boss
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #26
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Hey Aust, i think i have finally figured out who your working for and if i'm guessing correct you boss is a !! They done the olds patio, is was surpose to take a month, ended up taking 4! One of mate good mates also worked for them as an installer (after the old's patio install) and was getting shafted, he tell her to stick it.

Good luck mate.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 10:16 AM   #27
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

After years of working as a general shytekicker (reception, payroll, etc) I realised that I disliked having a boss and decided to do something about it.

I went back to TAFE, trained in something that I found interesting (Aromatherapy and Massage) and could use as my very own business, and loved it! I originally started working in a Health Day Spa and contracted myself to them until I had enough guts to start on my own... which I just started doing, three weeks ago.

Course it's going to be a slow start, but I love what I do and am dedicated to helping people. There is nothing like the satisfaction of seeing someone come in all grumpy, tired, or in pain and they walk out after you've taken all their stress away for an hour and they are SMILING and LAUGHING and HAPPY It's the most beautiful thing in the world.

DO IT B2F, research, do a small business course, and just DO IT. Life is too short to be doing something you hate.

Books I recommend:
Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch (books 1, 2 and 3)
Choice Theory by William H Glasser
Free Thinking by Stephanie Dowrick

That's just a few to get you started and realising that your dreams can be your reality. Life is about much more than just "getting by", especially when you are feeling low and demoralised.

CHIN UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ive contemplated starting up a garage..I just dont have the capital. Also its usually after I watch my latest download of pimp my ride; so I guess its just an impulse.

I could think of nothing better than do up cars for a living; I just dont have any experience other than my own car..lol

Those ricer guys pay good $$$ for quality stuff....its a big business that will never die as long as cars are around.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Bakes
Hey Aust, i think i have finally figured out who your working for and if i'm guessing correct you boss is a !! They done the olds patio, is was surpose to take a month, ended up taking 4! One of mate good mates also worked for them as an installer (after the old's patio install) and was getting shafted, he tell her to stick it.

Good luck mate.
Haha, PM me and tell me who you think it is. She drives a new Camry Sportivo if that helps? (and yes im wondering how she managed to get fined in it, its got no guts at all).

Another thread may be coming soon, related to my idea a little further.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #30
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE]...This is where I differ in opinion with my boss, she feels I should be able to 'convert' these people into customers....[QUOTE]

I have exactly the same style of boss. What you have to remember is that sales companies usually have former top salespeople as managers, and they stepped on everyone on their way up, became a manager ( usually with zero management skills..) and expect you to be as self centred as they were. I have been doing my sales role for 2.5 years now, and whilst it's actually quite technical and interesting ( orthopeaedics selling direct to surgeons, lots of operating theatre time ) I cop the same demand. I am only interested in helping out my customers, and pass up lots of "conversion" sales so as not to pressure them. And most appreciate it, and I sell heaps cause I am trusted. I now turnover more in a month that they had the entire year before i started, and it's not enough. You can never achieve "more".....so I know how you feel. The commission is great, but at what price your soul?

I don't know about you, but I will miss a lot of my customers pretty darn soon...

[QUOTE]...I not enjoying having to charge people to help them, and i know thats called business, but to me....[QUOTE]

You definately have to change this opinion if you are to succeed in your own business. People will pay, and pay well for one thing. Good service. You need to accept that. I learnt the hard way, had a flash bike shop for a few years, was really generous with my time, did lots of favours, freebies etc, helped everyone, charged pittance for great service, became far too busy, stressed out, and ended up walking away frazzled out with nothing. Well I had learnt a valuable lesson. Charge, and charge well, but provide something WORTH paying for. Does anyone really believe Oakley sunnies are really worth the money they ask? No way, but they are percieved to be worth it. Herrods are another prime example of a well run business. You need to aim the same way.

Funny but I want to get out of sales and back into my own business too....just do it a lot smarter this time round. Internet is a GREAT idea, having a shop full of stock is a LOT of stagnent money...trust me!