Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

Default Call me a noob if im wrong.

Im no mechanic, and im no racing car driver, so please read on.

Now, as far as i have been told, the standard ford falcon BA XT 6 cyl does not come with a LSD. Knowing this information, please read on.

I used to own a 180sx turbo so i know how an LSD operates and what effects it has on the cars handling etc...

Point....

in my falcon XT (x telstra car),

1- when i do a lock up burnout (not very often i do it) but both wheels spin.

2- when i decide to be a tool in the rain in a carpark or grass etc.., the back end kicks out (not quiet like the 180sx) but also kicks out from BOTH wheels spinning.

so having both 1+2 and my noobieness or so i personally beleive, what is the chance that my car has a LSD and how can i make sure that it has one?

also, why would terstra have an LSD in 1 of their cars lol

ps: its 2:22am so mind the useless talk

mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

When the BA came out, the LSD was a $480 or $490 (or maybe reverse the 9 and the 4?) option. I don't know if they made it standard or not later...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

Ooooo sweet,
Old 21-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #4
xr6ist

Your a noob bow to the owner
xr6ist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some Government fleets insist on different options, ours insist on dual airbags, cruise, so it it is quite conceivable that Telstra insist on LSD.

OR

Telstra were in a hurry for a car and that was the next one on the lot!
Old 21-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah i think Trev is correct, fleets normally tick 2 option boxes for resale, so maybe that was one of them?
Old 21-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
yeah i think Trev is correct, fleets normally tick 2 option boxes for resale, so maybe that was one of them?

I don't think an LSD would add resale value. The majority of used car purchasers wouldn't know what they are.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Its ssoooooo noob why does every noob ask the dumbest questions about their crap old ex taxi having and LSD and how good they are at doing brnouts it just gets my goolies

As I have said before if you have to ask if you have an LSD you dont have one!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
XR.1967
XR 1967

Chock the front wheels then jack one back wheel off the ground. Put the car in neutral and see if you can turn the wheel that is off the ground. If it spins easy then no LSD. If you can't turn it well I'd say LSD. Please don't forget to make sure the handbrake is off. (seen that done b4 lol) I'd say if your doing a foot on and both spin it would be a LSD but I have been wrong b4. Good luck with it..
XR.1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1978 XC definitely has an LSD, they came standard on all GXLs even the 6 cylinders. It also has a 5.8L V8 with 270 rear wheel HP that I could pull burnouts all day with, but I choose not to be a moron. I also have 245 tyres that I want to last me as long as possible.
Grow up and drive like an adult instead of like a stupid teenager.
Teenager to me once: "Does it have a LIMO? Two wheel spin??"

Last edited by GXL078; 21-04-2007 at 10:48 AM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the diff centres in BA/BF non LSD are so tight that they will spin both wheels. We have 2 patches on our workshop floor where a spares employee did a burnout during after work socializing, non LSD BA ute. When new try holding one wheel while turning another, I takes a lot of effort, and they stay that way for quite some time.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Its ssoooooo noob why does every noob ask the dumbest questions about their crap old ex taxi having and LSD and how good they are at doing brnouts it just gets my goolies

im sorry that my mother wasnt drinking petrol when she was pregnant and i wasnt born a mechanic.

also to comment, i dont want an LSD for burnouts, im happy i might have an LSD so i dont have to get 1 in the future if i do start making my car faster for 1/4 mile times.

also, read the thread, its not an ex taxi and i wasnt saying how good it does burnouts, i was saying that it feels like it has an lsd.
Old 21-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

jack the rear up (fronts chocked, axle stands under rear) so that both wheels are off the ground. put in neutral and spin a tyre whilst lookng at the other side tyre. if its an lsd they should both spin in the same direction. if the other does not or goes the opposite way then you have open wheeler.

factory lsd's are not very strong, esp on less powerful cars where a lot more effort is req to break traction. keep driving that way and you'll be up for a rebuild regardless of whats in there.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
XRchic
Hello

OK I think we all heard him say that he has just done a couple of burnouts and he also said not very often. Everyone should get off their high horse and think about their own driving behaviour - as if everyone on here has never done a burnout??? Geesh I know I have!

He may have been asking because he was thinking of modding it for the drags - in which case LSD might be very useful - I have just put it in mine!

I think it is also a fair question to ask a) because he doesnt actually know and b) because often the fleet cars have such options (as mentioned) so give the guy a break - he is here to learn something, so relax and be helpful!

Now, I recall when I had my NON LSD diff, it was quite easy to get both wheels to spin doing burnouts (oohhhh yes, I did burnouts in my car.... on a track)... so it doesnt necessarily mean anything.

Best way to tell is to get under and have a look, or launch it hard with one wheel on gravel and one on road...

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

in my own defence i was merely pointing out that factory lsd's are not that strong and ba's are heavy. :yeees:
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #16
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

thanks xrchic for summing it up for me ,

i think ill do some more testing since its not 100% proof of lsd
Old 21-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #17
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick the car up on ramps/stands and read the diff tag, that'll tell you what the centre is.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
in my own defence i was merely pointing out that factory lsd's are not that strong and ba's are heavy. :yeees:
I thought your post was fine actually, I dont know what the thread starter thought.

Old 21-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do donuts and look at the tyre marks.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never done a burnout and never will.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
My 1978 XC definitely has an LSD, they came standard on all GXLs even the 6 cylinders. It also has a 5.8L V8 with 270 rear wheel HP that I could pull burnouts all day with, but I choose not to be a moron. I also have 245 tyres that I want to last me as long as possible.
Grow up and drive like an adult instead of like a stupid teenager.
Teenager to me once: "Does it have a LIMO? Two wheel spin??"

How has this tool not been banned???

Quote:
m no mechanic, and im no racing car driver, so please read on.

Now, as far as i have been told, the standard ford falcon BA XT 6 cyl does not come with a LSD. Knowing this information, please read on.

I used to own a 180sx turbo so i know how an LSD operates and what effects it has on the cars handling etc...

Point....

2- when i decide to be a tool in the rain in a carpark or grass etc.., the back end kicks out (not quiet like the 180sx) but also kicks out from BOTH wheels spinning.

so having both 1+2 and my noobieness or so i personally beleive, what is the chance that my car has a LSD and how can i make sure that it has one?

As said above, it's possible to spin both wheels with an LSD, jack it up, chock the front wheels, and spins the wheels...

Wouldn't the LSD option be listed on the compliance plate?
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Does mine?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
How has this tool not been banned???
It'll cost ya :Reverend:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #24
AU dude
Flying high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnsx
Im no mechanic, and im no racing car driver, so please read on.

Point....

If the road surface or any surface has the same amount of friction and you decide to drive of quickly then its going to spin both wheel even if it has no LSD because there is no difference in load put on both rear wheels. So driving in the wet or on grass there isnt much friction.

Ive had open centres spinning two wheels because the road surface provided an even amount of friction or load.

Have you seen a wheel spining (open centre), then to other wheel starts spinning? This is because the wheel that is spinning heats up causing more friction on the road and then the other starts spinning because of less friction or load on that wheel.

A test to see if its an LSD is to find two different type of surfaces. For example, have one wheel on gravel and the other on a road surface and drive of quickly.

If it struggles to spin the wheel on the gravel then you have a working LSD, if it just wants to spin the wheel on the gravel then you either have a ro0ted LSD on open centre diff.

AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I have never done a burnout and never will.
Lol, I did a burnout the 3rd day I got my L's.

In a controlled enviroment of course (the driveway)
Mum wasn't too pleased with the black mark.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #26
steamin63
old skool

in late 2002 i was in the process of buying a ba. test drove the xr6 and the xr8 but ended up buying the coupe instead[heaps cheaper and way cooler].one thing i was told was that traction control and lsd were only available on the 5.4L v8. not believing the salesman i did some homework and found out he was correct .the option was not available on the barra 180 [it was available on the turbo as standard when they came out]
one thing that gives me the sh*ts are the muppets who pay out on noobs for asking dumb questions. we all ask dumb questions sometimes[you dont learn if you dont ask]
steamin63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #27
Skooter

Wouldn't the simplest way to check to be slide under the car and look for any tags or even an identification number on the diff somewhere? Its the first thing I would have done. My wagon with the 2.97 open wheeler gets both wheels spinning in a straight line sometimes. Its if they both spin when you have no traction around a corner or something that its going to be an lsd.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
in late 2002 i was in the process of buying a ba. test drove the xr6 and the xr8 but ended up buying the coupe instead[heaps cheaper and way cooler].one thing i was told was that traction control and lsd were only available on the 5.4L v8. not believing the salesman i did some homework and found out he was correct .the option was not available on the barra 180 [it was available on the turbo as standard when they came out]
TC was not an option for the BA1 but LSD was. I know because I forgot to tick the box when I should have and I know others who did. Still, not common I wouldnt have thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
one thing that gives me the sh*ts are the muppets who pay out on noobs for asking dumb questions. we all ask dumb questions sometimes[you dont learn if you dont ask]
Couldnt agree with you more.

Old 22-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #29
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

:P i dont count myself as a noob, but i guess no1 living can claim they have nothing to learn

if u dont ask a dumb question, then ull stay dumb..

anyhow, i think sadly i have no lsd from the other tests :(, none the less, now i can get a better than standard lsd