Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Angry Mechanic thrashing my car? wtf???

Well i have a local mechanic that does the majority of the work to my car, and what he cant do (panel beating etc) he will arrange someone to do and generally for a good price. So i've always been pretty happy with him.

Well yesterday arvo i dropped my car off to him in order to get it lowered more in the a$$ end and get new ball joints as they are noisy, after dropping if off and walking back home i hear the sound of a worked 8 hammering up the street so i turn around and BAM! theres my AU!

About to explode in a fit rage the better half tells me not to worry, its only a car etc etc. So as we wait for the traffic to cross the road he pulls into the bus car park that was behind us, and some chick walks up and gets in! Am i now a bloody bus service????

So as he pulls out of the car park he nails it launhching the car sideways and leaving 2 big black marks up the street!

I dunno what to do cuz he is a great mechanic and always does good prices, but then again just because he is a rally driver i dont want my F$@&ing car being used as a rally car!

/end rant :

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Thats pretty poor by the mechanic.

Not very professional at all.

Time to take it elsewhere, the problem is if you tell him what you saw he may charge you more and if you don't tell him it will continue. Catch 22

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
Old 31-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be mighty ****ed off. I'd have gone straight back, demanded my car back, given him a serve and taken my car elsewhere.

my 2c
Old 31-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
outside
off in outer space

give him the flick , this guy is showing no respect for you and your car.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
DA68ZA

Let me guess he did his aprenticeship at heartland holden blacktown .

No matter how good he is i would not take that .
Old 31-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

He wouldn't be getting another cent from me.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
davonafairlane
Fairlane 4eva

Don't put up with that, there are plenty of good mechanics. Take it somewhere else
Old 31-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Cam
Stroking it...

I have decided I am going to wait until i get my car back probably tomorrow and am going to let loose at him, i am stewing over it and if it wasn't for the fact that I was worried he'll rip me off then i'd be on the phone now.

I really never thought he'd be like that, an older guy, he owns his workshop, usually it'd be the 19 year old apprentice that'd be acting like a clown in customers cars... Clearly not..

If he was hammering my other car (POS daily) then i wouldn't really care, but if something let go in my AU (347 stroker) the cost of rebuilding the engine or gearbox (or whatever broke) would surely be paid by me, THATS what pi$$es me off!
Old 31-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

I would ring fair trading and ask them where you stand,I wouldn't be taking my car back to him.......ever....When my car is getting any work done either myself or my husband stand around and wait for it....

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
Old 31-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

youl probably find that just about every mechanic out will give a good car thrashing hey if it goes goods.....
Old 31-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

There is only one thing wrong with this post. You did not tell us who he is and where his shop is.

Bad publicity via word of mouth can hurt a business.

Personally if it was my car I would return to the workshop and tell him I had changed my mind, due to the fact that I had just witnessed a person driving my car in a manor I did not consider to be respectful or me or my property.

Do this in a quiet calm manor and then never darken his doostep again. Cheap work is not worth that!

Mechanics like this annoy the daylights out of me. They tarnish the image of all the caring good mechanics out there.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
youl probably find that just about every mechanic out will give a good car thrashing hey if it goes goods.....
Sorry not this one. Never have and never will. If I break it or broke I would have to pay for it. Not good for the profits of the company.

Besides someone worked along time to purchase that car. It deserves my respect.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I hope you havent paid him for the work yet, tell him where to go and dont go back. What can he do if you dont pay him, you already have dirt on him.
I normally check how many k's are on the clock before and after the mechanics just to see how much he's been driving it.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjoolz
I would ring fair trading and ask them where you stand
I have been thinking the exact same thing this morning..
Old 31-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Tell him your last mechanic use to thrash your car, and you kicked the S@#T out of him because of it and that you hate people who dont respect other people's property.

Unless you trust someone enough to give your car a bit of a thrashing without going to far,It isnt on.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
Cam
Stroking it...

Oh and he is in Underwood QLD, They are Called "Icy Cool Car Care"

So anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Springwood area?

And no i haven't paid him for the work yet, and as for waiting for the the work to be done, I leave for work at 7am and get home at 5:30 when he closes..

I want him to hurry up and finnish my car so i can get it back and vent this anger!
Old 31-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'd go in and smack the living bejeesus outta him, I wouldn't care how much he has or hasn't done to the car, or whether you've paid him or not.

Totally unprofessional.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

i know the guys at ford service give my car a thrashing. i always take note of the odo/dte reading before i give them the keys to do their thing. i get it back with like 10 kays more on the odo, but about 100 kays less on the dte :
Old 31-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

I dont know a mechanic that doesnt thrash the a$$ out of cars. If your worried about that, dont ever buy a demo from a dealership, you wouldnt want to know what happens to those cars.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #20
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Axe
I'd go in and smack the living bejeesus outta him, I wouldn't care how much he has or hasn't done to the car, or whether you've paid him or not.

Totally unprofessional.

Nah mate you wouldnt, then you would have an assault charge on your hands.

Start up a conversation about it and se how he reacts.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

damn.... that really sucks...
wait till he finishes with your car, take it back, then question him about it, if he admits too it an apologizes and swears not too do it again, MAYBE you MIGHT go back there.... (chances would be slim too none for me though)

another option is fitting a 3000rpm rev limiter too your car so when they take it into service they can't have any fun with it, i know someone who does this, it ****es off the machancs but its your car mate, there is a lot of money tied up in it...
Old 31-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #22
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

If he doesn't respect you and your car, what sort of work is he going to do? I don't think that he will take any pride in his work either.

Cheapest sometimes is not the best....
Old 31-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #23
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
I dont know a mechanic that doesnt thrash the a$$ out of cars. If your worried about that, dont ever buy a demo from a dealership, you wouldnt want to know what happens to those cars.

Ah, that makes it ok then.........
Old 31-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #24
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I know I would be saying the last bit of work done vs the cost of the new tyres he ripped up equal he owes you about nothing....

Craig
Old 31-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #25
ef_classic
Banned

What a of a mechanic.

Wait till you get it back and then abuse the hell out of him.

Try and do it infront of customers and his work mates.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #26
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Trainer
Sorry not this one. Never have and never will. If I break it or broke I would have to pay for it. Not good for the profits of the company.

Besides someone worked along time to purchase that car. It deserves my respect.
Ditto ... i never thrash the cars out at work, they deserve respect, their expensive cars so the owners have worked hard for them ... i don't thrash my car out, so im not about to go and do it to somebody else's pride and joy!!!
what a dud of a mechanic, don't go back, and tell people that you know that go to him not to either!

if i were you, i would contact Consumer Affairs and report him!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 31-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #27
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Actually Cam, I’m extremely surprised that you haven’t already gone down there and had words to him. Shows great self control, especially when you actually saw him doing what he did! I would most certainly be going to another mechanic, makes you wonder how many times he has done this before or if he takes your car home and uses it as a taxi service the other times you have taken it to him. Going off your nut isn’t the way to go about it though so waiting is always good, that way you have it clear in your head what you are going to say and do about the situation. Make sure he knows that you and your girlfriend saw him that it wasn’t just word of mouth, it’s always harder for people to deny stuff when it’s seen first hand. Most of all, be cool and as calm as you can be while talking to him, as blasting him will only get his back up and it could turn into a bad situation.

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 31-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfords-dot-org
Oh and he is in Underwood QLD, They are Called "Icy Cool Car Care"

So anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Springwood area?
Hi mate, there is a place in Springwood on Watland street that my boss uses and reckons they are pretty good... Can't remember the name though sorry. You have to drive down a steep driveway to get to it.... Next time i am out I will cruise past and check out the name for you.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Old 31-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #29
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

With out proof your a bit screwed to do anything about it. He will deny it. Some one has to make a nanny cam for cars when they are being serviced. That way you have proof of what was done and how the car has been treated.

I picked up my car once smeeling of fish and chips and at the time I never put food in it at all and that was at Coffey Ford in Dandy was not impressed to know it was used for the lunch run.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
Old 31-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #30
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can't recall ever using client's cars as taxis or food delivery cars. both places i worked at would use their own cars for such things. one was a small private workshop, really dodgey looking place, but we still used the workshop's cars for these, the other one was a big dealership, and again, we used the company cars for this type of thing.

your mechanics actions are an embarrassment to the trade. don't put up with it.
Closed Thread