Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sigh - Another Month, Another Motor Mag

Anyone read todays released 'motor' magazine with the BF Cobra and the HSV R8 comparo?

What a crock. They test the cars on a wet/damp racetrack and then go about saying the R-spec suspension kit doesn't feel as hardcore as HSV when obviously not being pushed as hard as they should be. And, go about quoting the Cobra as 13.9 sec 'Estimated' 1/4mile time. Would it really have hurt them to actually run it down the strip back to back with the HSV to see how they BOTH perform in same conditions and weather.

And my favourite - "Trust HSV to spoil FPV's party" at the end of the article. I'm not whinging about the outcome ... But - Would be good to get a comparison from a non-biased bunch.

Why do I buy this ?

DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635

Why do I buy this ?
You're an idiot? :

Just kidding mate. Seriously, Motor have NFI nowadays. Why buy that rubish when the internet has all the scoops, as it comes to hand. Motor rehash obvious Mondeo pictures and proclaim they're as close as possible to the Orion. They're clueless.

Their comparrisons are rubish and pointless. The news is dated and often wrong. Stick to CarAdvice, WorldCarFans and the rest. If it's a magazine you're after, then buy TopGear, I'm not sure if Aus has a 'localized' version sorry but the NZ version is great.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
You're an idiot? :

Just kidding mate. Seriously, Motor have NFI nowadays. Why buy that rubish when the internet has all the scoops, as it comes to hand. Motor rehash obvious Mondeo pictures and proclaim they're as close as possible to the Orion. They're clueless.

Their comparrisons are rubish and pointless. The news is dated and often wrong. Stick to CarAdvice, WorldCarFans and the rest. If it's a magazine you're after, then buy TopGear, I'm not sure if Aus has a 'localized' version sorry but the NZ version is great.
And these websites don't cost $8.50!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
3vXT

I've said it before but its worth repeating

Car mags are just other peoples opinions with ad's in between. People might agree or disagree with the opinions but thats what your paying for when you buy the mag.

I mostly stick to the internet now because its cheaper and more entertaining IMO.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why can't you just admit that V8 Holdens/HSVs will always be better than V8 Fords/FPVs.

IF on the other hand MOTOR wrote that the BF GT Cobra is better than the Clubsport R8... THAT would be a biased review.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Why can't you just admit that V8 Holdens/HSVs will always be better than V8 Fords/FPVs.

IF on the other hand MOTOR wrote that the BF GT Cobra is better than the Clubsport R8... THAT would be a biased review.
Thats not the issue, did you read his post, or the posts that follow? Couldn't care less that the Cobra wasn't better (I agree with Motor on this) than the new HSV, its just they way they go about it, the inconsistancy, innacuracy etc.
Old 14-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people buy these magazines at all when they just jump on the forums and complain when it's not the result they expect?

I've never bought one and never will :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats not the issue, did you read his post, or the posts that follow? Couldn't care less that the Cobra wasn't better (I agree with Motor on this) than the new HSV, its just they way they go about it, the inconsistancy, innacuracy etc.
You're entitled to your opinion. However, I actually think reviews in Australian websites are pretty watered down and generalized. Motor's way of writing is more fun to read imo.

I do agree however about Top Gear magazines.... but often the cars reviewed in the UK magazine are slightly different to the ones sold in Australia. They should start publishing Top Gear Australia magazine. I'd love for Top Gear to go global.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah we are stuffed, crappy car mags (which are owned by the same company and you see them sharing articles all the time), and not one good car website either.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Damozxr6
FORD4LIFE

" Motor " always tends to be biased towards Holden. editor must be a holden BOY
Old 14-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #11
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. However, I actually think reviews in Australian websites are pretty watered down and generalized. Motor's way of writing is more fun to read imo.

I do agree however about Top Gear magazines.... but often the cars reviewed in the UK magazine are slightly different to the ones sold in Australia. They should start publishing Top Gear Australia magazine. I'd love for Top Gear to go global.
You can get Top Gear NZ, so surely you can get Top Gear Aus (although about half of it is just the english articles, but it does have some local content).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
XR8putts

Quote:
I'd love for Top Gear to go global.
It has!
Old 14-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you expect when the employees from MOTOR are on GMHs payroll lmao

Nah on a serious note, MOTOR has always said smart @#$ comments towards Fords for as long as i can remember.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
VSSII

I thought everyone thought Wheels was one eyed toward Holden. So Motor is pro Holden too in your opinion? In your opinion does anyone talk up Ford?
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
I thought everyone thought Wheels was one eyed toward Holden. So Motor is pro Holden too in your opinion? In your opinion does anyone talk up Ford?
its a cyclical thing....go back to the day when it was vy(old) vs ba(new), and the results were all falling our way....now, its bf(old) vs ve(new) and surprise surprise, general consensus out there is the ve is the (however) slightly better bit of kit

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Last edited by Laminge; 15-11-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: as above
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Anyone read todays released 'motor' magazine with the BF Cobra and the HSV R8 comparo?

What a crock. They test the cars on a wet/damp racetrack and then go about saying the R-spec suspension kit doesn't feel as hardcore as HSV when obviously not being pushed as hard as they should be. And, go about quoting the Cobra as 13.9 sec 'Estimated' 1/4mile time. Would it really have hurt them to actually run it down the strip back to back with the HSV to see how they BOTH perform in same conditions and weather.

And my favourite - "Trust HSV to spoil FPV's party" at the end of the article. I'm not whinging about the outcome ... But - Would be good to get a comparison from a non-biased bunch.

Why do I buy this ?
Forget about those mags mate, the guys that test these cars are your typical "Jeremy Clarkson" types who know how to put word's together in their own fancy way but have at best "average" driving skills...

It takes an F1 driver (such as Tiff Needell or maybe even The STIG) to extract every last drop of performance from these cars...only then is a mag worth buying.

The only thing that sells the magazine's these days is the fancy picture angle's and the smart a$$ jokes...my 2c

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

"Trust HSV to spoil FPV's party"
This is an obvious stupid comment since the R8 was released before the Cobra. How can HSV spoil the party?? Really it’s just that FPV have not met the challenge. It really should read “trust FPV to let HSV's party go on”.
Of course, however, this is in the opinion of the writer of the article and of course he will be biased towards whoever is paying advertising to cover his wages. I was reading Wheels from Jan 06 which had a comparison of the BF XR8 and the SSz (VY) their overall opinion was that the BF was a better and quicker package. The bias will mostly likely change when the Orion is released and becomes the latest new toy. IMHO comparison tests are a load of crap anyway, every car is different and has it’s good and bad points. Each car is built to suit it own market. They may be comparing apple with apples in one way, but really it a golden delicious Vs a granny smith, I like the latter not the prior, my opinion only.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
removed by laminge
I'm not whinging over the outcome, I know Orion will bring better times. I am however just a bit lost on how they go about testing the cars. You'd think after the first power increase since 2002 on the FPV's ... They would at least run it down the quarter and see what it does. Not simply publish an estimate.

Last edited by Laminge; 15-11-2007 at 01:25 PM.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I've said it before but its worth repeating

Car mags are just other peoples opinions with ad's in between. People might agree or disagree with the opinions but thats what your paying for when you buy the mag.

I mostly stick to the internet now because its cheaper and more entertaining IMO.
I agree wholeheartedly. But its more like ads with a few stories in between lol. Nearly 2 out of 3 pages are ads... what a joke!

Bias? These guys know what they're doing... just stirring your emotions and stoking the flames of red v blue rivalry, and it works (nearly) every time.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #20
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Trust HSV to spoil FPV's party"

If anything it was FPV that spoilt HSV's 20th anniversary party by releasing the Cobra that sold like hotcakes against HSV's 20th anniversary model which I bet will be sitting in dealers for a VERY long time. :

Even the Holden/HSV crowd got annoyed at HSV for releasing such a rubbish job R8 to celebrate the companies 20th Anniversary. Have a look at the comments over on LS1, they were chucking a skitz about it.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

hmm...

I dont even know why these magazines bother!!!

If they want to test a car do it properly, and get a decent time for once.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why buy that rubish when the internet has all the scoops, as it comes to hand.
If my toilet had internet I would agree. I can't wait for the future.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #23
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why do I buy this ?
You were expecting a warmed over seven year old platform in runout mode (thats why Ford build Cobras) was going to be more competitive with a new platform under the VE? Honestly the Cobra gave a pretty good account of itself, given the odds against it.

The diff didn't blow up, which is one up on my GT I sold.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #24
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Ford are thinking about it, but not convinced it would be a good idea.

Bathurst win might have been a fluke or something.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 15-11-2007 at 08:31 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why did they use a 302 XC cobra?
Would have been more fun witha 351 "Bathurst spec"
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #26
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree they should have tested the cars to see what they run on the day (same conditions etc etc), a properly run in Cobra should do better than 13.9 easily in the right conditions...especially given the 290 has!!!

I must say Id take a Cobra over any HSV, I still think they look way better but I dont think Ford are going to compete with HSV in handling in this car with that huge 8 upfront but if they want to the F6 R-Spec can. Orion will be much quicker but how they work around the heavy V8 in handling will be interesting but I am sure the Orion F6 will give the 307 GTS a hiding around a track!!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #27
BFYOOT

buy performance ford mag, fords always dominate in that!! and they give ya a free poster too!!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #28
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

We go through this every month on this forum,maybe people should wake up and stop buying this realy poor publication
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #29
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Holden means a great dela to Australia! So of course no self respecting journalist would ever dream of contridicting popular opinion. Thats not what the major media outlets want.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #30
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Just got Street Fords and BJ has won a readers prize for a small photo and write up on his 590hp XR
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post