Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
act2617

Cool OPEC says there's plenty of oil.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS....ap/index.html

act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Simmo
White Lightning

there may be plenty of oil but its probably in places that are too cost ineffeicient to mine it. i.e. in very deep places in the ocean or under mountains or something.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
gozza

yeah but when theres nothing else
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

OPEC didnt really say that at all. They said production capacity looks like it will increase despite the fact global refining capacity cant process that much...
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
bobski

Search google for "peak oil". There's a wake up badly needed at the moment, the gov'ts are outwardly ignoring it, but you can see by the whole iraq war thing they are trying to secure a short term future.

Short story, unless we find alternative energy, mass transit will dramatically overtake the motor vehicle overnight (bad news for Australia where public transport sucks balls). Oh, not to mention that oil is used in one way or another for the manufacture of... well.... pretty much anything consumable...

Its all pretty scary stuff if true... And it makes sense... All you needed was a hurricane to knock out some of the US's oil drilling capacity and the price of oil skyrocketted.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

There was doco on SBS that they were looking for oil in Africa. Pretty surr there would be oil there, only question is of what quality?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Don't worry about the rest of the world.. The untapped oil reserves of the west coast of Australia is phenominal. There is such a thing as supply & demand. The more demand there is.. the higher the price stays...
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oil will not run out...the big companies have reserves for a long time yet.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Don't worry about the rest of the world.. The untapped oil reserves of the west coast of Australia is phenominal. There is such a thing as supply & demand. The more demand there is.. the higher the price stays...
The only problem is that we don't own it.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Umm?? When I was in Detroit Ford Museum they said U.S had 8 years of reserved fuel in "storage"...I guess the rest of the world has to pay for war in Iraq???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski
Its all pretty scary stuff if true... And it makes sense... All you needed was a hurricane to knock out some of the US's oil drilling capacity and the price of oil skyrocketted.
Sorry, this was just out and out greed by the oil companies, and the result of the 'Globalisation' scam that we had to have.

Pure and simple.

I'm quite sure that if the Longford refinery in Melbourne (for example, but that's where it is izznit??) went blam again, the price of juice in America probably wouldn't even budge.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #12
LeMans

I think the fact that a right-winged US president has made comments about the urgent need to find alternative fuels says volumes about the real situation. Especially since it is so soon after the Iraq invasion had succeeded in securing the supposedly large oil fields.

There are some very credible voices saying that peak oil (that’s the point at which oil stops gushing out and begins to trickle instead) is very near, if not upon us now. As for discovering new oil, these same people are saying that no new major oil reserves have been discovered for decades, and that is not through lack of trying. The less pessimistic incidentally have not denied this to be the case. Their argument is that less fuel will prompt higher fuel prices making aggressive searching more commercially viable. Maybe. Maybe not.
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #13
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Umm?? When I was in Detroit Ford Museum they said U.S had 8 years of reserved fuel in "storage"...I guess the rest of the world has to pay for war in Iraq???
Yes the oil prices have been artifically high for these last six months. The oil companies all made record profits last year. But there is little justification for a barrel of crude oil to be hovering at approximately $US60.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura

Justification is irrelevant. Its a market based price. You dont want to pay $60+ a barrel then feel free to exit the market... oh wait, not that simple is it? Not that simple for the other 5 billion oil hungry mouths of the world either.

Blame oil companies, the USA, john howard - whatever. It's our own fault and we'll be the result of our own demise.

Did someone say inflexible demand? Oh wait... that was me.

How can you accuse an oil company of being greedy when it is you and I who determine the price as a result of our insatiable demand for oil? Of course oil companies and opec do very well out of sustained pricing, but they cant do anything about it despite what the conspiracists may believe.

Its basic economics, with a dash of finite reources boiled in a pot of politics. Oil markets are fairly simple

EDIT: Peak oil link - its a beauty. http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net
Old 06-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
I remember the debate about oil running out when I was in high school during the 80's, also remeber researching the 70's oil scare.

If they keep saying it, they'll eventually tell us "told you so". But for now, I refuse to panic or be scared by them.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Justification is irrelevant. Its a market based price. You dont want to pay $60+ a barrel then feel free to exit the market... oh wait, not that simple is it? Not that simple for the other 5 billion oil hungry mouths of the world either.

Blame oil companies, the USA, john howard - whatever. It's our own fault and we'll be the result of our own demise.

Did someone say inflexible demand? Oh wait... that was me.

How can you accuse an oil company of being greedy when it is you and I who determine the price as a result of our insatiable demand for oil? Of course oil companies and opec do very well out of sustained pricing, but they cant do anything about it despite what the conspiracists may believe.

Its basic economics, with a dash of finite reources boiled in a pot of politics. Oil markets are fairly simple

EDIT: Peak oil link - its a beauty. http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

i have to disagree with you, it is certainly not our fault we all buy petrol to go to work, to make money for our familys to survive, it is that simple, no petrol - no money - no life. we cant all be self efficiant.
it is not about being petrol hungry it is about survival, and the way to survive in this society requires petrol. petrol price increasing is the exact same this as increasing the price of water, we need both to survive.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
4.9 EF Futura

Dave, i agree with you entirely and thik we might both be saying similar things... our dependence on oil is probably a wider societal issue... its going to be prohibitively expensive one day tho... then what do we and our families do? No easy answers but surely worth our consideration...

It's inherent to the world we have created. Forget petrol - think about everything else that has oil in it or has oil in its production. Heck, even drilling for oil consumes reasonable quantities of oil! lol

The link i posted even shows how the financial markets are dpendant not only on oil.. but having an ongoing supply of relatively low priced oil ($60/bbl is pretty cheap when you consider how amazing the stuff is!). Now that is scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Dave, i agree with you entirely and thik we might both be saying similar things... our dependence on oil is probably a wider societal issue... its going to be prohibitively expensive one day tho... then what do we and our families do? No easy answers but surely worth our consideration...

It's inherent to the world we have created. Forget petrol - think about everything else that has oil in it or has oil in its production. Heck, even drilling for oil consumes reasonable quantities of oil! lol

The link i posted even shows how the financial markets are dpendant not only on oil.. but having an ongoing supply of relatively low priced oil ($60/bbl is pretty cheap when you consider how amazing the stuff is!). Now that is scary stuff.
yea at the moment the only think we could do if we lost oil, is to set up little villages and survive from joining small communities to trade goods, just like we did before the industrial revolution
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #19
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

With the unstable conflict in and around the middle east oil supply centers, there will always be uncertainty about the amount of oil avaliable to the west - that goes for pricing too.

As far as I'm concerned the sooner viable & stable fuel alternatives come to market then the better.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Well 50% of oil bought is used in plastics.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look out...shades of Mad Max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #22
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Now im not entirely sure, but I heard that in north Iraq they just found another massive Oil field.
Only prob is the fuzzy wuzzies keep blowing the lines up!
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #23
LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
yea at the moment the only think we could do if we lost oil, is to set up little villages and survive from joining small communities to trade goods, just like we did before the industrial revolution
Hey, slow down everyone. No need to panic. "No Oil" doesn't mean "No Fuel and back to the dark ages". There are alternatives to oil, the most viable being the hydrogen fuel cell. (Hydrogen can be extracted from water ie the ocean). The major vehicle manufacturers (especially GM) are saying that the hydrogen fuel cell will be the most likely replacement to the petrol/diesel engine. Heck, even F1 are suggesting that they might allow cars to run on these things.

The issue is not what society will do when the oil runs out, but when the heck our governments will legislate to get this new technology off the proto stage and onto our roads. The estimate now is that it will take 10 to 15 years (including refitting enough fuel stations) before we can say that we are liberated from oil, so we need to get our backsides into gear now. All the tecnoligies are basicly here now, including alternatives to oil in plastics.

The only application that we don't have an alternative technology for is jet engines.

Have a look at this site...
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...fcv/index.html
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Lemans, you are an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea.

Hydrogen is the most likely choice however the only problem is that it itself consumes an insane amount of electrical energy to produce hydrogen and ergo is not widely in use today. Additionally, our inability to build viable, affordable and portable hydrogen generator has ensured that hydrogen will still be cost prohibitive.

Quote: