Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default XR8 tyres

Any of you blokes used these cheapo Achilles tyres?

I'm soon up for some 235/45/17 on the Sedan, and I spotted these on Ebay.

They seem to good to be true at that price, and you know what they say about that....

235-45-17 ACHILLES ATR SPORT TYRES
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/235-45-17...item3a76bbbbea

Old 28-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: XR8 tyres

Don't use them!

I'll take pictures and show you what just normal road driving has done to the Achilles on my rear 18" rim..
Old 28-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Don't use them!

I'll take pictures and show you what just normal road driving has done to the Achilles on my rear 18" rim..

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Cúl-Báire

Quite a few people on have used them to great success; they haven't been without their issues however (as above). I've had mine on the rear of the ute for 5k kms and no issues so far.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

That's just from normal road driving. Didn't even get 4000km's out of them :/

Edit: Alex, I've got 'other' tires for that ;)

Last edited by XRGhia; 28-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats terrible , Have heard good reviews about them didnt expect to see them worn out like that in 4000km . Go back to the tyre dealer
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
That looks terrible.
It also looks like some serious burnouts, it's pretty hard to believe that is from 4k of normal road driving.

What's your definition of normal driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Quite a few people on have used them to great success; they haven't been without their issues however (as above). I've had mine on the rear of the ute for 5k kms and no issues so far.
How is the wet weather grip?

I use this car for long distance towing, so they need to be good.
Old 28-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

My dad driving it to and from work every day. So Central Coast - Inner Sydney and back..

The 2 other Achillies I've had have done pretty much the same thing, and they were on the front...

The "diamondback" branded tire I have on the rear passengers side at the moment is wearing normally...

Also, as much as they wore like that, they grip quite nicely in the wet...
Old 28-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
My dad driving it to and from work every day. So Central Coast - Inner Sydney and back..

The 2 other Achillies I've had have done pretty much the same thing, and they were on the front...

The "diamondback" branded tire I have on the rear passengers side at the moment is wearing normally...

Also, as much as they wore like that, they grip quite nicely in the wet...
Did you go back to the tyre dealer, surely there's a warranty for that short use.
Old 28-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Didn't bother, ended up getting some Bob Jane Zetums for $125 each.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

I was looking at the Achilles 123 semi slicks. I've heard good things about Achilles. Shav speaks well of them and I've seen how he pushes his car sometimes.
KU36's are sweet but cost a bit of $$$
Maybe try federal 595r's. Ive heard very similar to RE002 but with out the price tag.
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I have them on my 5.0 ute.
They are good for the price.
Wet weather grip? Average at best. "Grip quite nicely in the wet" is not a description I would use. Maybe but it is because I actually have some horsepower to turn them.
I am quite happy with them and I drive accordingly in the wet. I wouldnt dream of putting them on my missus's 5.0 but.
The best way of summing them up is greta for the price but there is definately better on the market. Kinforest is most definately worse but.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:

you expect anyone here to believe your tyre just melted over 4000km of normal driving?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:

Edit: Alex, I've got 'other' tires for that ;)

Not a chance that is from normal driving mate.
You dont get grooves in the tyres from normal driving and dont tear the centres out. Also they have been "driven" well past where the wear marker is. I have tyres like that at home. They got like that from doing good hard solid burnouts.
It is bad form to bad a product out when a trained eye can see what you are saying isnt correct.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey Sox, when I bought the G6E I also bought a set of 18" rims - I really didn't want to be banging around country roads on the 19's.
I agonised over tyres as I really, really wanted quiet tyres but for each tyre that had good reviews on noise levels, there were also some who said they were noisy.
Anyhoo, I wasn't going to spend $1600 on "quiet" tyres just to find out they weren't so quiet so as an interim measure I bought as set of 245 x 40 x 18 Hero Milanza's from here
http://www.option1garage.com.au/NewTyres.htm for $129ea inc fitting.

You can read about them at your leisure but I was surprised at just how good they are. I've done around 6K which includes wet/dry, winding roads and a return trip to Mount Isa (with speeds at times +50) out west.

They grip well and seem to be wearing ok but as they are wearing they are getting louder. I've put the 19's back on for a Ford service but I'm now looking seriously again at quiet tyres so might take a punt on Yoko Advan db.
If you want reasonable tyres at a good price I'd include the Hero's on your list of possibles.

edit: just looked at your ebay link. At $75 per tyre I'd go with them. They are probably much the same as the Hero's and the website I linked has the Achilles at $105!!
(I'll leave my post in case anyone is wondering about Hero's)

Last edited by ronwest; 28-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:

That's just from normal road driving. Didn't even get 4000km's out of them
What surface was the roads you were driving on? Gravel or dirt, or razor blades???

I must say every time Iv seen tyres that look like that they have been either doing burnouts on bitumen or breaking traction over a coarse surface like road base, gravels etc..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm mainly interested in feedback about the Achilles tyres, not so much recommendations on other tyres, as if I don't end up using them, I'll stick with what I know.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
GUTLES
Adam.

I put 2 on my XR6 recently, happy with them so far but have only done 2000kms. The Wheel.Deal are great to deal with.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
AU Mont
Banned

they seem alright......... usually people only bother reviewing stuff when they want to whinge

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...lles/ATR+Sport
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post