Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
au 111 ute lpg
Starter Motor

Default AU series 3 ute problems

hi all , new to the froum. i just picked up a dedicated gas au ute cheap to use a my work car, but it has a few issues. the first is that the the temp gague winds all the way around past hot and almost back to the cold spot, the tach says 7000 rpm when its doing about 2000, the display at bottom of the cluster isnt readable and the spedo is about 40 kms out. ive had it pluged onto a mates snap on computer and there were no fault codes. i spoke to my mate whos company car it was and he said that it happened about six months ago so the mechanic fitted an second hand cluster and it fixed the problem, then about a month ago he was driving along and it did it again.

it seems to have a oil leak from around the coil pack area, looks like there is a oil or temp sender there is this a common problem.

should introduce my self, im Matt from Adelaide and im also building a xy gt replica.

any help with this ute problem would be grate, cheers

au 111 ute lpg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, try another cluster. maybe take it to an auto elec and see if it isn't spiking voltage or anything like that.
Old 19-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Cluster gets it readings from a serial like from the PCM ... from memory.

I remember reading that there may be an issue with stretch cabling from the cluster back to the passenger footwell ... with a rubbed section maybe on some metal. It was found on another AU in a post a while ago ... took a while of fault finding.

Oil pressure sender/switch is on the passenger side of the block and are prone to eventually leaking ... on and EGAS ... it's an oil pressure switch ... and a PITA to replace as well ... easier to get to it from the top when the intake is removed ... helps to have thin arms too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
au 111 ute lpg
Starter Motor

thanks for the quick replys guys, so the oil pressure switch is located on the left side near the engine mount towards the front of the car at the bottom of the block ?
au 111 ute lpg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The red looking thing is the oil pressure switch

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

So much easier to get to when the engine is out ... hahahhaaa
The problem i had accessing it from the bottom was the engine mount was in the way and really annoying (can think of other words).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol it is. I had to do it on mine with the engine i put into it, all the trouble with getting to it and out to find the old one was full of crap,

but **** happens i replaced it anyways

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post