Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Ford_Crazy

Default 351 Cleveland or 350 Chev?

Guys,

I have had many arguments regarding what is the better motor (mind you I know nothing about engines) I defend the 351 because it is a ford engine, but I would like to know facts.

Why do a lot of old Ford vehicles have 350 chevy power plants? Why do a lot of Ford drag cars (in the states especially) use 350 chev engines?

Is it a more potent motor? Is it more reliable? Is there a difference between them?

So all in all what is the better motor, a 351 clevo or a 350 Chev and why? :

Ford_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

350 Chev is world's most popular engine. As a result it has a massive (and cheap) aftermarket compared to less-numerous builds. There was a recent SM article about an XY with a 350 in it, and the reason the driver built it with a 350 was due to cost, as well as being different.

The 302 Windsor comes in 2nd in the popularity stakes.

I'm not a fan of putting different-make engines in different cars. Not that I'd want to shoot someone for doing such a thing, but it's just something I wouldn't do myself. Horses for courses.

EDIT btw I think you'll find most people here would opt for the 351 as the better donk, due to the skewed nature of this forum (naturally!)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Your correct with the Chev having so many aftermarket parts and a huge amount of development work done over the years. The Clevo only had a short life span in the USA. The Mustang only had them from late 69 to 73.

You will find the Clevo is making a big comeback in the US with many rodders opting to put a Clevo in place of a Chev engine. The seppo's are going crazy over CHI heads, Parker funnel web manifolds, etc. There is also a demand for the so called "Aussie" closed chamber heads.

I cant remember the website and I will have to ask but a rodder friend, who is also a Ford fan showed me a photo and story on a early 60's Corvette back in the early 70's that ran a Clevo, C6, 9" setup for the strip in Canada. It was a constant class winner and p!ssed more than a few die hard Chev/Corvette fans off.

Ben and Joe Gatts black Gonza XA was the quickest small block in the world at one stage. Not bad for a 378ci Blown Clevo. They used to run against Bray, etc.

Just look at those monster ports on the 4V heads and how much air they can flow. The clevo is capable of some big HP.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4V cleveland: The most powerful factory manufactured carbureted small block V8 in the world!

Old 31-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
MRJUCY
Fordless

Clevo is my pick, yes their is more available for the Chev but hey you only need 1 set of everything & either can make more power then you'll ever need.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Ghia5L]350 Chev is world's most popular engine. As a result it has a massive (and cheap) aftermarket compared to less-numerous builds.
The 302 Windsor comes in 2nd in the popularity stakes.
I agree with that.

Quote:
DIT btw I thinkE you'll find most people here would opt for the 351 as the better donk, due to the skewed nature of this forum (naturally!)
[/QUOTE]

I would have that agree there as well as this is a Ford forum
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pros and cons to both, the 351 was great for low end torque, made a great engine for the F series trucks, and an all round good cruising motor
the 350 GM small block was a lot more efficient, naturally revved harder, and still had enough torque. I preffered the GM motor, cos it was more common, parts were cheaper, and the efficiency of the motor with its power. Both motors belong in the past, but were good in their day
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Both motors belong in the past, but were good in their day
How do you figuer that one.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
How do you figure that one.
Spot on BJ. Plenty of 'old' Clevo's making over 600hp N/A. Prefer them to the modern Windsors & Chev's.
Old 31-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
gs1973
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
pros and cons to both, the 351 was great for low end torque, made a great engine for the F series trucks, and an all round good cruising motor
the 350 GM small block was a lot more efficient, naturally revved harder, and still had enough torque. I preffered the GM motor, cos it was more common, parts were cheaper, and the efficiency of the motor with its power. Both motors belong in the past, but were good in their day
In your opinion mate! 351 cleveland's would leave siamesed port's on chebby's for dead...Revved harder? Another urban myth! :MrT_anim:
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
protd
TUFF FORDS

imo you cant compare a clevo to a chev the cleveland is a far better designed engine.. because they went into trucks people say they cant rev blah blah blah.. open up a chev open up a cleveland the cleveland engine ****s all over the chev, the chev is only popular and has so many parts available out there cause the yanks stuck them in just about every car that rolled off there production line. if your going to compare a chev to a ford engine it should be the windsor.. people dont like clevos cause there expensive to build, oh and clevos cant rev i know of plenty turning 8000rpm plus and have seen plenty of stock bottom end clevos turn 7500rpm, ever think the cam they installed in them back then was only designed to go 4700.. look at the gt's they turned 7000+ from factory
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take the sump of both a chev and clevo and flip them over, the chev mains and crank look flimsy in comparrison, the cleveland bottom end is virtually bullet proof compared to the chev, granted there are ways to solve the chev's issues with stronger 4 bolt blocks and steel cranks the clevo is very stout.
Now look at the heads, this is where the power is made, siamese ports are a huge compromise for porting and heat disapation and distortion, in comparrison the canted valve wedge arangement of the closed chamber 4V head makes massive power and breaths extrememly well.
The chev was a venerable motor and works v well with aftermarket stuff, but the cleveland offers allot more scope from the factory.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #13
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

You've all missed the point, I'm afraid. The 351 Cleveland is obviously better than a 350 Chevrolet engine - It's one cubic inch bigger!!! Powah!!

Realistically, there's nothing in it. The Clevo bottom end is a bit sturdier from factory, but the aftermarket support for the mouse motor is worlds ahead.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the factory I would say the 351C.

For a streetbuild using mainly OEM gear I would say the 351C.

For a race engine using aftermarket gear I would say the SBC.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the biggest thing in favour of the chev is it's capacity for physical size. It's a much smaller motor with the same ( ish ) capacity.
I firmly believe that the Cleveland is at least the chev's equal give the amount of development the chev has had compared to the cleveland.
As for belonging in the past .... pffft, both are completely relevant.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #16
Chris
AFF.com.au

The Chev has been playing catch up for years, especially in the cylinder head area.

23 degree couldn't cut it, so they went to 18 degree, then to 12 degree, and now a canted type head.

Modern chev smallblocks, such as the Holden motorsort deal borrow heavily from Cleveland cylinder head teachings. Its basically a ford engine.

My father ran mid-high 11's in a street driven XY GT in the mid 80's, engine was totally stock apart from his own prepped 4v's and a flat tappet camand converter from the US.

Even the hot rods with their light weight and big tyres couldn't keep up :
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #17
56L
a.k.a PAULY

It has always been stated in the US that no other v8 engine can match the cleveland for horsepower per cubic inch
As its been said already the US had them only for a few years so the aftermarket part supply over there never really took off until now and australia is leading the push
One of the worlds best engine builders chose the cleveland to easily win the engine masters comp against countless chevy,s , so if those chi heads that he used were around many moons ago i bet u the cleavo,s would have made upset a few chevies , the cleavo had never had much opportunity until recently
And lastly werent the cleavo engines banned from many speedway and motorsport events in the us including nascar

p.s if now someone would make a cleavo aktermarket block because that was also a major contributing factor that held these engines back ,i would love to see these engines in our local speedway scene :
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #18
xafalcongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Crazy
Why do a lot of old Ford vehicles have 350 chevy power plants? Why do a lot of Ford drag cars (in the states especially) use 350 chev engines?:
As for old Fords having 350's, I assume you mean old 1929-35 Ford 3 window and 5 window Coupes, Hi-Boys, and Lo-Boys--basically streetrods. From the 1970's through the early 1990's that was the cheapest to build motor for guys trying to build a streetrod. Now up here in the States, old motors are the rage: flatheads, old Caddys, old Lincoln MEL motors, Ford Y-blots, etc.,.... SBC's are way out of vogue. Now your comment on Ford drag cars with Chev motors, I don't know what you're talking about there. EFI Windsors are the hot ticket up here if you run a Ford. In fact, you can build a EFI 5.0 Windsor for less than a EFI SBC. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Chev powered Ford drag car.
xafalcongs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Guys,

I have had many arguments regarding what is the better motor (mind you I know nothing about engines) I defend the 351 because it is a ford engine, but I would like to know facts.

Why do a lot of old Ford vehicles have 350 chevy power plants? Why do a lot of Ford drag cars (in the states especially) use 350 chev engines?

Is it a more potent motor? Is it more reliable? Is there a difference between them?

So all in all what is the better motor, a 351 clevo or a 350 Chev and why? :
some good questions, heres my thoughts...

- i think that alot of old fords (rods) uses chev engines purely for their physical size, easier to get into tight engine bays - they are narrower than a clevo.

- the 350 chev has been produced for ages where as the Clevo was only a short run production in the states (is that right?) which means there is a stack more performance options for chev owners, as well as spares.

- better engine? depends who you talk to, many will say 350 chev, but the clevo is my choice.
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

All hail the 350
Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #21
Ford_Crazy

Guys,

Thanks for your answers, atleast now I have some arsenal in my armory!! I didn't realise that the performance aftermarket for the 350 were so abundant, seems like a good reason for blokes on a budget to use a 350 rather than a 351.

I also didn't know the clevo wasn't in production for long? (Thought theyw ere int hje states for ages).

Thanks fellas.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for your answers, atleast now I have some arsenal in my armory!! I didn't realise that the performance aftermarket for the 350 were so abundant, seems like a good reason for blokes on a budget to use a 350 rather than a 351.

I also didn't know the clevo wasn't in production for long? (Thought theyw ere int hje states for ages).

Thanks fellas.
Are you serious? why would you need to make a choice? what is the application?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #23
Ford_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Are you serious? why would you need to make a choice? what is the application?
Serious about what? I am just saying that when you get into car conversation and people bring up 350's or 351's I can actually comment and sort of know what I am talking about.

What do you mean by application?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Serious about what? I am just saying that when you get into car conversation and people bring up 350's or 351's I can actually comment and sort of know what I am talking about.

What do you mean by application?
: car conversion? if its a Ford use a Ford motor, it isnt rocket science...

Old 02-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #25
Ford_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
: car conversion? if its a Ford use a Ford motor, it isnt rocket science...
Read what I wrote again dude. :
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Read what I wrote again dude. :
I didnt agree with that statement to begin with, hotrods yes, but trucks and drag vehicles? very rarely..

Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #27
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
(Thought theyw ere int hje states for ages).
and what is that supposed to say?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #28
Ford_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
and what is that supposed to say?

also didn't know the clevo wasn't in production for long? (Thought they were in the states for ages).

Sorry!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #29
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go 350 Chev so much after market stuff available & stuff all dollars in comparison to 351. Plus use to have 327 chev in my HJ Prem it that was a fun drive.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).

Last edited by MoreHPformyXR6; 02-09-2006 at 10:18 PM.
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
I would go 350 Chev so much after market stuff available & stuff all dollars im comparison to 351. Plus use to have 327 chev in my HJ Prem it that was a fun rive.
Not true, total crapola,my mate built his chev at the same time I built mine,in the same shop,very similar specs,377-383,alloy heads,roller cams, the chev was not one bit cheaper.
And it dosent make as much HP....:thebirds:
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post