Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Default Towing Laws?

I'm wanting to tow a car interstate later this year, and I'd like to know what the go is with laws regarding how much you can tow (weight-wise).
I've been told by a few people that the tow vehicle has to be equal to or greater than the load it is towing.
I was planning to tow my XB coupe on a trailer behind my XB ute. the ute weighs 1500kg, and the coupe weighs about the same, then theres the weight of the trailer (standard hire trailer you see at servo's, anyone know what they weigh?).
The ute will tow it no problem, I use it for that quite often, but I don't want my wallet to get raped because the load I'm towing is 100kg (as an example...) heavier than the ute.
Also, do they use the standard kerb weight of the vehicle as specified by the manufacturer, or the weight loaded (ie if i have a couple of hundred KG's worth of tools, trolley jack, spare rims/tyres, spaer fuel etc etc)?
I'm guessing its the former?
I'm interested in what the rules are in all the states/territories are, but mainly NSW and VIC.
Also interested in the penalties if you get busted..
thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW:
from the brochure avaialble at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...towin_dl1.html

"TOWING RATIO REQUIREMENT
The loaded mass of the trailer must not exceed the lesser of:
Rated capacity of the towbar and tow coupling.
Maximum towing capacity of the vehicle.
Maximum carrying capacity of the trailer.
Maximum rated carrying capacity of the tyres.
If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:
One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or
The unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer
does not require brakes. "
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and .. something else from that brochure. the trailer would need brakes since it would be loaded over 750 kg.

"BRAKING SYSTEM
The minimum braking system for a trailer depends on the type of trailer, its weight and the weight of the vehicle:
0 – 750 kg loaded weight – no brakes required.
751 – 2000 kg loaded weight – braking on both wheels
on at least one axle.
2001– 4500 kg loaded weight – braking on all wheels,
and an automatic breakaway system in case the trailer becomes detached from the vehicle. Brakes must be operable from the driver’s seating position."
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You ute will be rated to a certain GVM and GCM. The GVM ( Gross Vehicle mass) includes the weight of the vehicle with all occupants and whatever it is you are carrying in the vehicle, as well as the towball weight.

Then the GCM (Gross Carrying Mass) Is the weight of the ute with everthing in it, and the weight of the trailer and car on it all combined.

Eg, i've got an XR6 ute, it weighs 1730kg. My max allowable payload is 550kg as the GVM of the vehicle is 2280kg. My max GCM is 3360, so this allows me with say a 90kg driver, and nothing in the back, to tow a load of 1440kg. But seeing as its a manual, technically the manufacturer specifies that i'm not allowed to tow more than 1200kg.

So say i've got the ute, 1730kg, and i'm towing 1000kg, with 90kg of driver, that'd mean if you follow the rule of thumb of 10% of the trailer weight on the ball, (all up 1920 kg so far) i'm left with a max of 360kg of payload left for stuff to put in the tub so i dont exceed my 2280GVM.

But say i had an XL ute, its really the same running gear and brakes, just upgraded suspension and with an auto, GVM increases to 2805kg, and the GCM increases to 4875KG, meaning you could pretty much have your standard 1545kg XL ute, with 770kg your 1 tonne payload in the back, 230kg on the ball, and be towing the full 2300kg with the HD tow kit and be all legal.

And trailer weight / braking regs are what Bill R said.

But yeah, from your cars specification point of view thats how you work it out to make sure you're legal
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The trailer will weigh around 600 - 850 kgs dependant on a lot of things.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

those servo hire trailers. if that is what you are going to rent are getting tighter on the laws too.. I know a lot of places in Brisbane now that won't hire them to you unless you have a 4 wheel drive.. I don't know the exact weight but i have to borrow my mates crappy 4 potter 4*4 Hi-Lux with aluminum tray to rent the trailer.. strange but i am sure his Lux isn't as heavy as my BA wagon

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

thanks for the info so far guys
I dug out my dealer brochure for XB utes/panelvans, and the only weights listed are the GVW's. For the V8 utility, its 4400lbs for the 10cwt ute, and 5000lbs for the 15cwt. so 2272kg.
does GVW = GVM, or GCM?

Tibbo, most of the kids that work at the servo's here don't know much more than how to ask if you would like two chocolate bars for $x.99 and how to put your hard-earned in the register, so getting the trailer isn't a problem
Unfortunately most hire trailers are over-engineered, and are excessively heavy.
I plan on building my own before the end of the year (low, light, tilt deck, etc) but untill them I'm stuck with hiring these behemoths(sp?)
maybe I should borrow one, take it to work, and introduce it to my friend Mr Plasma Cutter :hihi:
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Maybe Phil you should just drive the coupe over here, forget the trailer.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It may happen but I`d be surprised if you got pulled up and wieghed anyway. Been towing trailers and cars on and off since I got my licence and have never been checked and havent heard of anyone else being done either. Unless it looks grossly overloaded or dangerous to you or anyone else on the road I think you would be pretty safe
Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gvw is gvm, the towbar itself should have a weight on it.....then again, it may be too old for that
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony
Maybe Phil you should just drive the coupe over here, forget the trailer.
lol... it'll get driven part/most of the way anyway, but if i break it at the track its a long way home :(
plus I dont want to have to pull over all the time to refill the fuel cell from the jerry can..
Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
lol... it'll get driven part/most of the way anyway, but if i break it at the track its a long way home :(
plus I dont want to have to pull over all the time to refill the fuel cell from the jerry can..
Well Phil get a bigger cell :
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tow the bloody thing YOU WONT get done. Coppers have better things to do!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Bank on the hire trailer weighing roughly 750kg, they are built like tanks
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #15
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
It may happen but I`d be surprised if you got pulled up and wieghed anyway. Been towing trailers and cars on and off since I got my licence and have never been checked and havent heard of anyone else being done either. Unless it looks grossly overloaded or dangerous to you or anyone else on the road I think you would be pretty safe

The only time it'll really hurt is if you're involved in an accident and insurance refuses to cover you. People get away with all sorts of stuff when towing, and as you say, unless its obviously drawing attention to you, you'd be stiff to get done.

Locally i'd say just go for it, but over a fair distance it pays to be safe than sorry.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #16
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just dont follow my example and load trailer with about 20lbs on drawbar,
jumping all over the road on Bruce Hiway at 100kmh is no fun
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Just to fix up GCM is gross combined mass its the total mass vehicle, trailer and weight of freight

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
paddy351
Ford Nut

hi phill is this for heathcote ford drags.maybe the xc might be better to do it
paddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post