Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Police will confiscate cars for speeding over 45 over!

Dont they understand that anyone who is speeding at that sort of speed will now not stop but try to get away!

What sort of fool made that rule up. There will be more police chases, more deaths.

Idiots, thats all I can say about the Victorian Govt and Police ministers.

Old 27-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

yer well what are you going to do about it? have a cry on the internet? how about u write a letter or something constructive. I just saw it on the news too and there was footage of a red XM or XP? i think that was doing a burnout n then a cop comes, well its obviously set up to make people think that this is happening in every street all day. Obviously they dont have any new footage but thats the media for you.
Old 27-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

He's not having a cry on the internet? He is simply putting his opinion up here for others to contribute to? Isn't that the idea of a Forum?

But back on topic, personally, I think that if you are stupid enough to do those sorts of speeds on a public road, you deserve to have your car taken off you. Its the 3km/h tolerance that makes my blood boil.....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Old 27-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Kryton

oh well...more cheap cars at the Auctions. fine by me. i cant think of one genuine reason why anyone needs to go 45kmh over the limit.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Agree with brute6 and davway - 45km over is going VERY quick!

EDIT: I think the posession of your car should be the last of your concerns anyways considering all of the criminal charges currently imposed on people doing that kind of speed over the limit. I believe its possible jail time here in SA.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
oh well...more cheap cars at the Auctions. fine by me. i cant think of one genuine reason why anyone needs to go 45kmh over the limit.
cheap hot cars at auctions

seems like a good plan, i just hope that the police dont get to overzealous with the new power to impound.........
Old 27-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Agree with brute6 and davway - 45km over is going VERY quick!
EDIT: I think the posession of your car should be the last of your concerns anyways considering all of the criminal charges currently imposed on people doing that kind of speed over the limit. I believe its possible jail time here in SA.
When / where was this implimented ? News to me, not saying it's not for real just havn't heard of this, i knew 45 over was loss of car , but jail ?
Old 27-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the thing is, theres a massive difference in doing 145 on a desert highway when no one is there, compared to 95 down Lygon st in Melbourne.

Thats the problem.
I agree that 95 in a 50 zone like chapel st, lygon st, school zones etc are not places to speed in, but 45 over on a desert highway or a big freeway is nothing(when no one is around) and could never be a problem.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
shane3
FPV GT 0915

5.30Am 4 lane road, 2 either way, very well lit, NO other cars around and it's a 60 zone, 100 sound ok to me!
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
Old 27-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

45 over = you shouldn't be driving on public roads - therefore - bring on the law.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

well just my opinion, i know its a discussion forum but his argument is ridiculous, if he was saying "what do you guys think?" then fair enough but the police were not saying that they were going to chase more cars down that are speeding and not call off chases, they are just saying that the penalties are going to be more severe.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

I could understand 145km in a 100km highway.
105km in a 60 zone is bad though. Unless ofcourse there was an emergency.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
xd5.8l
Banned

I'm fed up don't they have more important issues!!!!!!!!!!!! :jab:
I had a cop car with acouple of sl#ts fly passed me today 100 in a 70 zone. Not to mention the time I had a pursuit car fly pass at double the speed on the western ring rd, Senior seargent!!!!!!! There might be good cops out there but the ones I come across just abuse their position.
If the pigs set a good example and followed their own legislations that are in place things would be different, until that happens I can't see a solution to this problem.

Last edited by Laminge; 27-06-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
Not to mention the time I had a pursuit car fly pass at double the speed on the western ring rd, Senior seargent!!!!!!!
you could count the chevrons on his shirt at 200km/h ? lol talk about 20/20 vision that's impressive.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW Boy
yer well what are you going to do about it? have a cry on the internet?
Old 27-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't see an issue with the law, 45 km/h over the speed limit, a limit that you know of, is just being really DUMB and deserving of the concequences.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahaha you all just admitted to speeding now all i need is a badge and sirens and ill be DA in no time....lol

^^^ if you take offense to that type of joke then please ignore...dont hate the good people hate yourself!..

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 27-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #18
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy fix don't speed and you not get done.

And before you attack me yes i have been done for speeding and deserved it.

So if you go that far over the limit you desreve to have the book thown at you.

If you come on here thinking you can speed with out penalty than i suggest you go get yourself a brain.

Ian
Old 27-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #19
shane3
FPV GT 0915

10 past 6 this morning I was coming into Ringwood and there is a posted 40km/h construction zone, 3 lanes either way (6 lanes wide), EVERY one in the bunch of cars was doing 75 to 80km/h and even the cop car at the back of us was doing the same speed, well if the cops can do it why no us!
This will all come down to how much of a son of a motherless goat the cops want to be to you.

The cops in the car this morning could have easily had charged 10 to 13 cars all with doing 35 to 40 km/h over the posted limit.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
Old 27-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #20
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
When / where was this implimented ? News to me, not saying it's not for real just havn't heard of this, i knew 45 over was loss of car , but jail ?
Hey mate. Was just something that rung a bell in the back of my mind - i'll have a look for something that might shed some light and come back to you!
Old 27-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys who think doing 45 over on a deserted highway is bad, have you ever driven in the outback? ever driven for 500 or 700km and seen 5 cars on the whole trip? Ever seen how higher speeds in other countries are not seen as bad, but normal?

I cant stand this.

I like to get where i am going in maybe 4 hours instead of 6. Does that make me a crim?
Thats nothing serious, just going for a drive.

Its Just GOING FOR A DRIVE from a to b!!! Does that sound bad? nope, sounds quite normal.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #22
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Alrighhhhty...

Section 45 of the Road Traffic Act of 1961 gets into the 'Excessive Speed' issue... 45km over the limit. Currently $600-$1000 fine for first offense with minimum 6months loss of license, $700-$1200 for a subsequent offense with min 2 years loss of license.

However.... I believe for that kind of speed, you can also be done under section 46 - reckless and dangerous driving..

First offense under sec 46 is $700 - $1200 fine and 12 months loss of licence... subsequent offense $800 - $1200 fine or 3 months imprisonment and 3 year loss of licence.

Road Traffic Act 1961 (South Australian Parliament)

^ happy reading! lol

And its probably one of those things where they can charge you with a list of offences longer than your left arm.... from the Road Traffic Act and from other places as well.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #23
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
You guys who think doing 45 over on a deserted highway is bad, have you ever driven in the outback? ever driven for 500 or 700km and seen 5 cars on the whole trip? Ever seen how higher speeds in other countries are not seen as bad, but normal?

I cant stand this.

I like to get where i am going in maybe 4 hours instead of 6. Does that make me a crim?
Thats nothing serious, just going for a drive.

Its Just GOING FOR A DRIVE from a to b!!! Does that sound bad? nope, sounds quite normal.
So we should have slack legislation covering 100% of the population because 5% of the population drive on roads where its (according to you and i'm happy to take your word) safe to drive at these speeds?

In all honesty, yes its probably safe for you to drive at those speeds (and obviously more convinient for you) in your area but its difficult to legislate in a manner which addresses your concern.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

EDManual - Firstly you did not specify what type of road you were talking about when describing the law and secondly re read your first post and then your last. In the first post you say that if they are going that fast then they are trying to out run the police and in your last post u say that u do these speeds on highways? so you are saying that you try and run from the police?

Yes i want to get to were im going as quick as possible at times so what, i do what ever speed i feel like? and endanger other peoples lifes (wether you think you are or not). Maybe you should have thought a bit more before you posted your thread.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
I62go
Envi BA

I saw it comes into effect 1st of july....

Also i would like to add,
I'm in the electronic automotive industry, most speed gauges have a +/- 10% correct to road speed. Cops have a leway of 3km/h.

Is that fair?
Tinted Windows,
PPI 5ch AMP, 2x12" Kenwood Subs, 4x Directed 5x7" Speakers (Now Selling) :sm_headba
159Kw @ the Wheels

Last edited by I62go; 27-06-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #26
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
45 over = you shouldn't be driving on public roads - therefore - bring on the law.
i agree, yes, i mean 100km/h is slow for highway, but it is still a dangerous speed, yes you may be a very capable driver, but what about the other person passing you at 100km/h, imagine 145km/h, there is alot of difference in that, and has much more of a chance of loseing control

just my 2c
Old 27-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #27
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So we should have slack legislation covering 100% of the population because 5% of the population drive on roads where its (according to you and i'm happy to take your word) safe to drive at these speeds?

In all honesty, yes its probably safe for you to drive at those speeds (and obviously more convinient for you) in your area but its difficult to legislate in a manner which addresses your concern.

Thats certainly a good point, so what do you do for those other 5%? Its already bad enough thinking you could be caught at some point (unlikely but could happen), now I have to have the stress that if caught I cant continue in my travels too! Great.... Oh well, I'll just drive along at 144, or 154 in 110 zones :-)

I wouldnt try to outrun the police myself in this situation, but many would I would say. (My car isnt fast enough ;-D)

Theres motorcylists everyday doing runners from highway patrol cops cos they can. (and dont want to be caught doing 50 or 100 over or whatever), now cars will do that too.(at least try to!)

In SA, up north they are thinking about putting many of the (2lane, 1 lane each way that is) highways up to 130. NT doesnt even have limits on these roads for the reason that its safe enough for most people to sort themselves out.

When ever there is an oncoming car I slow down to 100 or so. Never pass anything at higher speeds. Thats common sense.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I62go

I'm in the electronic automotive industry, most speed gauges have a +/- 10% correct to road speed. Cops have a leway of 3km/h.

Is that fair?
i've often getured at that I62go, doesn't seem fair at all does it - but legal. In effect you could be doing what you think is the speed limit, in a car which passes ADR standards, and you're penalised for it, but hey, it's all legal !
Old 27-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
NT doesnt even have limits on these roads for the reason that its safe enough for most people to sort themselves out.
I'd say the more likely reason would be that there aren't enough deaths to bother doing anything about it yet. Or maybe not enough traffic to generate enough speed camera revenue yet. YET! Trust me they'll become limited soon enough.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I62go

Is that fair?
I have been told that in ACT we have a leway of 10% +3km/h. Although I wouldn't be game to test it out.
Closed Thread