Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default GPS Tracking System

Can anyone recommend a decent GPS tracking system that's worth anything up to $600/$700?

What features should I be looking out for ? Are the mapping systems that different between models ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Do you want to track cars or want to know where you are going?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have a navman Lox and I can say that it takes me the long way whatever setting I use.It tells me to go down one way streets ,turn right over concrete blocks on six lane main roads...dont get a navman buddy.

It tried to guide me six killometres once for a street 100 metres away.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spend some more money and get a top notch unit.

I played around with a few in that range, really were't quite as good as the dearer ones.

I bought a Navman ICN 720. Top unit. Very very suprised with how quick it recalculates routes if you miss a turn, biiiiig touch screen, remote control, voices that don't drive you nuts, and clear concise directions

Maps are in 3d or 2d, and it has a camera so you can take pics of landmarks, or destinations so say someone else uses your navman, to travel to a destination you've been to before, it will show them a picture of what the destination looks like so they know what to look for.

Its got more features than i'll ever use. Does the speed cameras, but you have to download a free file off the navman website. It's very well suited to austalia. Got a mate with a tom tom and i dont like it at all.

Navman gives clear display showing distance until the next move, the road you are travelling on, and cross roads on the moving mad, and tells you the name of the street you'll be turning into next and what lane you should be in. Its freakily accurate with street numbers, has resteraunts and fast food pre programmed, service stations, atms, car parks, public toilets, and many other points of interest. And unlike some of the older ones i've used, it's been spot on so far with the routes it has taken me on. Hasn't led me down back alleys and 1 way streets!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I know some people that use Tom Tom 1 units. It would seem that these are about the best in the price range that you are looking at.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I have a navman Lox and I can say that it takes me the long way whatever setting I use.It tells me to go down one way streets ,turn right over concrete blocks on six lane main roads...dont get a navman buddy.

It tried to guide me six killometres once for a street 100 metres away.

I did over 1000k's in a truck last week everywhere between geelong, healsville, lilydale, monbulk, bacchus marsh, werribee south, bairnsdale and sea spray and it never once took me down a street i couldnt get the truck down, or led me astray.

I know the old old ones used to be ordinary, but this 1 has impressed me quite a lot.

Uses the 2006 up to date whereis.com maps.

For $1100 i expected it to be good. Hasn't let me down, nor my mates who bought 1 too. Just been released, not in a lot of stores yet.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking at a GPS myself. I've been keeping in eye in the ICN 520 but I notice it's been supersceeded by the ICN 530. I've also been keeping an eye on the ICN 620 I think it is. Just can't seem to commit to it just yet. Got to many other things on the go.

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 12-08-2006 at 08:38 PM.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TomTom here. Extremely happy with the unit.

http://www.tomtom.com/?Lid=8&selector=true
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

So far it's pretty hard to pick a model. Most of the reviews say near the same thing, either delays in picking up a signal or difficulties changing from one route to another or map probs....hmm. I might rethink whether its worth it or not (it's not for me tho).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you got any links to decent website reviews on GPS's?? I'll have to google some

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post