Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default latest WHEELS mag.

anyone read the GTS and TYPHOON . comparo. biased do you think or factual. i'm not putting down GTS . as i'd have one no worries . however i have to question the put downs towards FPV. IT DESCRIBES THE boss 5.4 AS A SLUG, AND DOUGHY. IT ALSO SAYS THE GTS has moregrunt all over the typhoon.

anyone know why holdens always get a better wrap than any ford . ?? are they really faster ,all the time .

i'd punch anyone in the mouth if they drove a GT. and called it doughy, sluggish. it just simply is not the case. i find myself reserved from driving mine . because it is just almost not practical for the road . anything over 4000rpm will create police pulling you over, if in thier vicinity.

the mag doesnt completely bag the typhoon , but simply states that th GTS IS a better car all over , including performance . the typhoon, i believe would easily be on par with the 6 litre . i dont thing the boss 290 is far behind either.

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Its funny because from what I heard the Bosses characteristics are actually intentional. The problem is that the fun is over to quickly. Im sure this will be addressed soon, it has to be.

IMO if you drive a Boss on its own, its still very impressive, just not so much so when you do a back to back with the LS2.

And why was it dicussing the Boss if the comparison was between the GTS and F6, oh thats right its Wheels..... :togo:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 06-06-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah true! I dont really think we will see a day where Wheels will be biased towards the ford's/Fpv,s of any description. They just are not there favourites and holdens are, it really winds me up too! I now look at the mag when im in the shop if its Pro Holden everwhere you look, i dont bother with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
XR8Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
anyone read the GTS and TYPHOON . comparo. biased do you think or factual. i'm not putting down GTS . as i'd have one no worries . however i have to question the put downs towards FPV. IT DESCRIBES THE boss 5.4 AS A SLUG, AND DOUGHY. IT ALSO SAYS THE GTS has moregrunt all over the typhoon.

anyone know why holdens always get a better wrap than any ford . ?? are they really faster ,all the time .

i'd punch anyone in the mouth if they drove a GT. and called it doughy, sluggish. it just simply is not the case. i find myself reserved from driving mine . because it is just almost not practical for the road . anything over 4000rpm will create police pulling you over, if in thier vicinity.

the mag doesnt completely bag the typhoon , but simply states that th GTS IS a better car all over , including performance . the typhoon, i believe would easily be on par with the 6 litre . i dont thing the boss 290 is far behind either.
The report is quite factual, the GT is doughy, it is the top of the range and gets stomped by a turbo 6 of the same make and that same turbo 6 gets stomped by the GTS beacuse it has 307kw@ 6000rpm and 550nm @ 4400rpm

It has more power and a wider power band so of corse it has the edge

the typhoon is not on par with the new 6 litre holdens but hey, the typhoon is old and boring now. wait untill orion
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
The report is quite factual, the GT is doughy, it is the top of the range and gets stomped by a turbo 6 of the same make and that same turbo 6 gets stomped by the GTS beacuse it has 307kw@ 6000rpm and 550nm @ 4400rpm

It has more power and a wider power band so of corse it has the edge

the typhoon is not on par with the new 6 litre holdens but hey, the typhoon is old and boring now. wait untill orion
The Typhoon is faster then the VE HSV's. It is more then their equal, it is their superior. The fastest accelerating Australian production sedan of all time.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

I doubt they've driven the 6 speed auto to its potential yet........

I've driven the R8 enough times now to tell you that there ain't that much in it. Remember, these articles are written by the same clowns that couldn't extract a better time than 14.3 for the GT over the 1/4 when the rest of us seem to be getting 14 flat and sub 14's as well...........no problem.

I read the article and the biggest let down for the F6 was the lack of DSC or ESP. FPV should be chastised for this..........and rightly so. In fact there is another thread that we have discussed this on.

Overall, the 5.4 in its current guise is on its way out.......so its no surprise that they are giving it a hard time. It just amuses me to read back over some of the earlier editions of WHEELS and MOTOR and read about "how much low down torque the new BOSS has........the endless top end power and almost neutral handling........the best GT ever !!!!!!!!!"...................

Overall, the GTS may well be the better overall car...........fine..........but you are paying 20K more and the GTS has the advantage of the standard fitment stability control in WET test conditions that the article was written about.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 06-06-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

theres also an article about a 6.2 litre chevy engine, which HSV may source, from uncle sam to differentiate there cars from holdens, i think they will do this, and yes i think the 5.4 will be gone/ and need overhauling then , no doubt.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
XR8Master

6 Speed or not, the HSV have an awesome launch and can do sub 5 0-100km something no FPV comes close to
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
6 Speed or not, the HSV have an awesome launch and can do sub 5 0-100km something no FPV comes close to

SUB 5 seconds is dreaming.............

More like 5 seconds + in the real world..........forget the marketing hype, it doesn't translate to reality.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
you havent been to the drags have you , 14 seconds is best i've seen these hot holdens do there . but i've seen xr8 and gt's do 13's with xr6t's doing low 11's .

it's contrasry to what we read in the mags though. by the way 14 seconds looks slow and sounds bad for a 6 litre v8.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
XR8Master

I know they can do sub 5's because my friends 5.7 that does sub 5's is the same speed as his fathers maloo up to 250km
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you seen a gts? ugliest piece of plastic on the road, honestly the guy who designed that was on mushrooms or something.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
XR8Master

ok, a 260kw XR8 is faster then a 307kw HSV that is why everyone is trading there **** XR8 in for a maloo

I have owned a XR8 and I have been in the new stuff, my Dirty old BA dosent come anywhere near close
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I know they can do sub 5's because my friends 5.7 that does sub 5's is the same speed as his fathers maloo up to 250km

OK........

We can't really argue the point here, because neither of us have real facts to back up our assumptions. Only thing I can say is that SUB 5 sec 0 - 100 will more than likely translate to 12 sec range 1/4 passes........

That I can categorically tell you is not the case...........we've seen ample examples at Calder to verify this.

The 6 litre HSV is good, but not that good in standard tune...........sorry.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
XR8Master

Well I never had to change my underwear in the BA, thats factual enough for me
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Your not an engineer or scientist are you?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
XR8Master

no, why ?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never told anyone my car is fast, If you havent driven it for a while it feels fastish for a couple of hours and then its like humm, Ive lined up new ss's and beaten them no clubsports or gts's.....yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #19
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I can just see it now........all of us showing each other our underwear and comparing their condition so we know which is the better / faster car..............

Your interpretation of fact and reason will no doubt leave the rest of us amused for a while to come.

Thanks for the laugh.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
no, why ?
I didn't know skid marks were a way of judging a car. : Perhaps you have bowel issues?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
ok, a 260kw XR8 is faster then a 307kw HSV that is why everyone is trading there **** XR8 in for a maloo

I have owned a XR8 and I have been in the new stuff, my Dirty old BA dosent come anywhere near close

i was going to buy an xr8 260 . untill i drove a 290. big differance. uncomparable . sorry. in my opinion the 260 is a dog , untill modified . the 290 not so.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
XR8Master

Also you can compare a car that has just driven off the shelf with one that is truely run in @ 50 000km
Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #23
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i was going to buy an xr8 260 . untill i drove a 290. big differance. uncomparable . sorry. in my opinion the 260 is a dog , untill modified . the 290 not so.
wow ive never driven a 260, they must be shocking.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #24
XR8Master

Well 30kw and 20nm is a fair difference, thats like 2 exhausts 1 cold air induction and a extractor

a GT also revs higher with also increases its average power output
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have written in a different thread about the same kind of topic.

I dont disgree too much with the comparo. I drive a manual VE R8 and its chasis is superior, handling feels much better. Straight line performance I felt was very similar, but I think and feel from rolling starts the Typhoon is much quicker than the VE, benefits from boost. I am also not a fan of the VE visability with the A pillar.

The manual box in the Ford is ten times better than the Holden/HSV but the stock tyres on the Holden I felt more confident with. Ford brakes felt much better.

BFYB the Typhoon still win hands down.

However, I own a Typhoon, I am starting to feel its old.

Time for edit............... :
Old 06-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #26
silverxr8

Quote:
Mate, take your GT coloured glasses off, there is stuff all in it between 290 and 260 Boss in stock tune. And the GTS beats the pants off any of the Ford V8's, it is what they it is, doughy and needs to rev to get going anywhere quickly. I think the performance figures back the 260 vs 290 comparison up to, although the weight difference GT vs XR8 may explain some of that?
silverxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #27
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
wow ive never driven a 260, they must be shocking.
Well, I dont think so. There was a magazine comparo a couple years back testing Holden SV8/SS/Clubsport/Monaro Ford GT/XR8/XR6T and other than the 297 clubsport, the XR8 crack a 13, albeit a 13.99. They go OK and hold their own.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #28
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr8
Mate, take your GT coloured glasses off, there is stuff all in it between 290 and 260 Boss in stock tune. And the GTS beats the pants off any of the Ford V8's, it is what they it is, doughy and needs to rev to get going anywhere quickly. I think the performance figures back the 260 vs 290 comparison up to, although the weight difference GT vs XR8 may explain some of that?
I do think you are too far off the mark.

I used to own a BA GT-P, and whether it was stock or modded, the car was making great power on an incline when it hits the limiter. I think the BOSS requires about 10-20 more kilowatts and an extra 500rpm.

IMO, it will make the extra power if it could rev more.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #29
XR8Master

Rolling starts where so so much fun against rice burners and skylines with the XR8, I used to get asked, "bbb b bb but...i drive a skyline...how could I loose ? what have you done to your car ?"
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #30
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had plenty of illegal street drags with guys in xr8's, I win but it isn't by much a bonnet or two mabee, so I think there is **** all difference between 260 and 290.