Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Aircon

Hi there...

is it normal that on humid days ( temp arround 25 C° ) you can see like steam coming out of the air vents in the centre console of the dashboard when the aircon is on or is there a leak somewhere ?
First I thought it was something got sucked in from the car in front of me, but it wasn't.

It doesn't smell and it is slightly visible.

Thanks for any ideas or advice

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Swedishmoose

sorry for the double post...but I forgot something....

what also irritates me that the aircon sometimes doesn't deliver cold air for a few minutes and than suddenly the cold air kicks back in .
When I start the engine and turn the aircon on, everything is fine ( ac works nicely and cold ) . Then I drive arround and after roughly five minutes the air gets warmer and it feels like the aircon turned off automatically . After a few more minutes the cold air kicks back in.
Do I just have to refill the aircon or is is it just telling me that the aircon is about to die ?

Thanks again for any ideas and sorry again for the double post....

The Moose

P.S. do you have to remove the dashboard with the AU if you want to replace parts of the aircon or can you reach from underneath (like the passenger foot room or drivers foot room ? ) without taking it out ?
Old 13-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ute was doing both those, heating up then not cooling back down properly, after i had the A/C Compressor changed, after three trips to workshops after the change it was diagnosed as to much oil in the compressor.system.

What causes the mist from the vents is apparently the evaporator ice-ing up because it gets to cold, mine stopped this when i fixed the blend door wire.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Umineko
Karasu

I had a similar issue with similar symptoms on my old DL LTD and that turned out to be a pinhole leak in the evaporator coil, the mist was the A/C gas escaping, the end result was having to tear out the whole dash and replace the evaporator... not at all fun
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Swedishmoose

Hi there...

the question is now how to test if it is just the evaporator being too cold and icing or if there is a pinhole which causes the gas to disappear....
I really don't want to take the whole dash out because it is a lot of work and usually you scratch it somewhere. If you bring it to the shop, they charge you an arm and a leg.

Is there a way to fix it without taking the dash out ?

Thanks again...

The moose
Old 20-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Umineko
Karasu

for sure, take it to an Aircon place and have them check the gas level, if that's ok you can rule out pinhole leaks, if not they'll run a leak detector over it which sould find the problem, I don't know if it was a std thing but my LTD has a little sticker informing me that a UV trace dye was added to the aircon gas. if yours has this you can find any leak yourself with a UV lamp. if the system checks out ok then it could be an icing issue, a couple of things can cause this. not enough airflow over the evaporator core caused by leaves etc blocking the core or a dodgy fan motor, or too much gas in the system. you didn't say whether you have climate control or a standard system if you have climate control then a little animal called the blend air door could be the problem.
unfortunatley you will have to remove the dash to make repairs to the interior components of the a/c system as access is near impossible any other way though from memory you can get enough access to clear leaves and debris from around the fan.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post