Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default just test drove a CTSV f150 raptor & Taurus SHO

So I put on my bull sheet hat and hit the car yards in Texas for a day while I was in town and test drove a few cars. I will never admit what I had to do to get these drives but let’s say it wasn’t straight forward and the raptor was almost impossible to get (but I was persistent and used my assize charm with great success

Cadillac CTS V (550 hp supercharged 6.2 V8) a Ford Tarus SHO (4x4 turbo charged 6) and a ford F150 raptor. - Tough way to spend a day.

The Cadillac CTS was real nice - inside and out. Luxury is a step up from anything ford or Holden make here. It was quite cosy but I am 6'5 - but I still fit - Just - it was a 2 door
I really wanted to test drive a manual but could only get an auto. It hammered. Stock HSV or FPV would feel plain slow. The big bore v8 is smooth and effortless and as the boost builds it is crazy fast. The roads in the US are pretty crappy (cement) and this thing held it together very well. It’s also a smaller car and it felt a lot more nimble than a commodore or falcon. A FPV V8 would be close in a straight line after a tune but this does the high speed stuff so much better - and the luxury is in another level (vented seats blew my farts right out the window and cooled my but to exactly 72 deg f). You could pick one up for about $60 grand and that would be hard to walk away from. For me though, it’s too refined. I like a bit more rawness - a manual version and better exhaust would help and you would never feel like you made the wrong decision.

The ford Taurus SHO was easier to get hold of. There were plenty around and they go for about $40k. The first thing that hits you is the size, it looks small. T me it looks smaller than a mondeo. I could fit in side it but I would describe its space as efficient. Definitely smaller than a falcon or commodore. These are auto only and 4x4 - not my cup of tea. It certainly went fast and had a heap of torque, Freeway on ramps you just put the hammer down and it gripped and blasted well past 100 mph very quickly. Interior was more like the falcon. But unfortunately there was little fun factor - no getting it sideways or doing a fishtail launch from the lights (they don’t have Nanna (I mean hoon) laws over here. It’s sort of like half Subaru liberty b4 and falcon G6e. Unfortunate I don’t think an exhaust or anything else would help this car. I am sure some people like it but it’s not for me - unfortunately I think ford fans will be mucho disappointed if they give Aussies the Taurus.
It’s also worth noting that they just ran some ridiculously cheap financing deals for the Taurus SHO, so cheap that many dealer staff took it up.
Finally I get to the F150 raptor.
You know how we look at f150’s in Australia and think they are stupidly big. Well after you drive one, you think all other cars are stupidly small. It is like driving in a lounge room – in a good way and being 6’5 I was in heaven. I really was awesome to sit in - makes my falcon feel like a civic. It was also very luxurious and had a bunch of toys – quite high tek.
It probably wasn’t as fast as the other s but it felt fast, very fast and twice the size. Imagine if they made a army tank and then took it to HSV or FPV. It was just so different to anything else I have ever driven. I only drove it on the side roads and HWY (no off road unfortunately) and it was a blast. It was an auto but not too bad. Give it a loud exhaust and it was be awesome. Grip was massive, you could do squeelies on take off but its 4x4 with torsen front diff and lockable rear. Its hard to describe but this thing was awesome. The back seats had more room than a falcon and still had a tray bigger than a falcon.
For me, the choice would be easy the f150 raptor – its just so awesome and you’ll smile every time you look at it, get in it, start it , drive it, go 4x4, and getting out of it.
The only time you’ll not like it is when you fill it up – I think it got something like 18l/100 – but that would be worth it. If they sold this in Australia for about 70-80 grand (was $60k in the US) you would sell thousands.
By far the stand out was the F150 but the CTSV was cool in a M3 kind of way. Taurus is OK but the standard models are crapola (FWD yuck) you could do worse but they sure be no falcon irish).
Photos may come (I need to do some editing to protect the dealers and my own lies). The sales men were really good about the test drives, can you imagine what would happen if you did 250 kmh on a test drive in australia – the ctsv was a blast and the salesman kind of encouraged me to give it some stick after I told him about my 750hp falcon ute - he knew all about falcons (both turbo 6’s and 5ltr s/c) and HSV also.
Fun times (also did some hog hunting out of a helicopter with a assault rifle – now that was really fun)

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: just test drove a CTSV f150 raptor & Taurus SHO

I went for a bike ride.. I think your day wins..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Motorbreath310

Didn't know the new CTS-V's could be had in a manual. The last shape was made in RHD, why not this one? How awesome would that be?
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
stang65
FPRJET

I want to be like you when I grow up.........Damm I`m45 next week look like it`s too late :-(
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm at work. You just brightened my whole day!

You should get a job for Drive; that farts line had me in stitches!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't driven a Raptor, but I really like them! Yeah with a 6.2 V8 petrol, 4.11 axle ratios, and BFG A/Ts, it's not going to be a Prius, but I am sure it put a smile on your face! (unlike a Prius).

My test drive speed record was 125 mph (200km/h) in a new Hyundai Sonata turbo. With the dealer sitting in the back!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
1TUFFUTE
Banned

GREAT write up bro...your not helping my infatuation with F150 Raptors either I WILL OWN ONE ONE DAY
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up mate, completely the opposite of what I thought the SHO would be.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SHO is sort of a twin turbo AWD Cortina.......sounds like fun
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
The SHO is sort of a twin turbo AWD Cortina.......sounds like fun
More like a twin-turbo AWD Cortina XLE!!
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Road test bucket list .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right about the visual appearance of the Taurus, I've seen the current gen Tauruses in real life on the streets in traffic and they don't look any bigger than a Falcon at all. I guarantee our resident "experts" have never seen one in the flesh in their lives.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I read about the current gen Taurus suggested it was significantly larger than the current Falcon/Territory..
Would love to see one up close, especially the SHO AWD, as it may be a supplement for our Ghia Turbo.
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

isn't it heavier by a margin tho?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

There is a couple of silver raptors near where I live, big doesn't describe them.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
isn't it heavier by a margin tho?
AWD Taurus is 1,903 kg and Falcon is 1,704 kg.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Taurus is actually Fairlane size, much bigger than Falcon. That it's interior is smaller than the Falcon speaks volumes about how poor a design it actually is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The info on the Cadillac CTS is good to know...we've looked at renting one of those if we can organise our US trip later this year.

A Raptor sells for $60,000 in the USA? There's no damn way in the universe that will sell in Australia for 70 to 80 grand...think more like $100,000+. Look at all the businesses that bring in ordinary Silverados that sell in the states for twenty or thirty, and sell them here for over a hundred as quickly as they can convert them...

That's one thing I hope the missus can put up with in the states...I plan on visiting some dealerships and having a good poke around...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Taurus is actually Fairlane size, much bigger than Falcon. That it's interior is smaller than the Falcon speaks volumes about how poor a design it actually is.
Yeh they are HUGE, a whole 7 inches longer than a FG sedan but still 6 inches shorter than a FG ute.

A tow bar sticks out about 7 inches as does a bullbar.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The info on the Cadillac CTS is good to know...we've looked at renting one of those if we can organise our US trip later this year.

A Raptor sells for $60,000 in the USA? There's no damn way in the universe that will sell in Australia for 70 to 80 grand...think more like $100,000+. Look at all the businesses that bring in ordinary Silverados that sell in the states for twenty or thirty, and sell them here for over a hundred as quickly as they can convert them...

That's one thing I hope the missus can put up with in the states...I plan on visiting some dealerships and having a good poke around...
When it costs 30-40k to convert a modern vehicle you have to expect the price rise will be significant, but if they were being build in rhd form then obviously the excuse for such a massive increase isn't there.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Haven't driven a Raptor, but I really like them! Yeah with a 6.2 V8 petrol, 4.11 axle ratios, and BFG A/Ts, it's not going to be a Prius, but I am sure it put a smile on your face! (unlike a Prius).

My test drive speed record was 125 mph (200km/h) in a new Hyundai Sonata turbo. With the dealer sitting in the back!
I have a horrible feeling that I am living in the wrong country. Modern Australia sucks on so many levels, more so if you are a car enthusiast.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
I have a horrible feeling that I am living in the wrong country. Modern Australia sucks on so many levels, more so if you are a car enthusiast.
Lol grass is always greener....

Move to the states, land of the cheap as chips muscle cars and trucks, super sizes meals (and people) and a minimum wage half Australia's....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Lol grass is always greener....

Move to the states, land of the cheap as chips muscle cars and trucks, super sizes meals (and people) and a minimum wage half Australia's....
If getting a decent job in the workforce in Aus means you only get to keep half (less if you factor in all the extra taxes pm fuel, etc), minimum wage really doesn't mean all that much.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You're right about the "trucks", its like they stick a recliner in front of the pedals and dash, my Sierra has those "captains chairs", a seat which is padded up big time and has this little arm rest which comes down.

Its like driving a couch.

Perfect for a fat bastard like me.

I think Dodge announced they're considering selling the new generation RAM here in 2015?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I would love to trade the Ranger on a Raptor. $140k here in Oz converted.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When our dollar a few years back was just half the us dollar, or minimum wage was the same.really makes no difference. $7 an hour when everything is half the price of here right now is the same as here. Cheap houses, cars, food. All les than half price compared to here. Now the us minimum wage doesn't look any worse than here does it? ??
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
satria
FOXWHO

I couldn't care less if we don't get any of those cars, I'd rather Australia get rid of the stupid hoon laws!

If we can't have that though I'll take the raptor or the caddy thanks, along with those RRP's
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria View Post
I couldn't care less if we don't get any of those cars, I'd rather Australia get rid of the stupid hoon laws!

If we can't have that though I'll take the raptor or the caddy thanks, along with those RRP's
We can thank the likes of Milton Morris and Harold Scruby for the nanny states we live in. Amazing what impact one or more narrow minded paranoid individuals can wreak on the media and politics in this great country of ours, thanks to the apathy of the general populace, complete contrast to the yanks...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course (my favorite subject), they could just drop Australias virtually unique requirement that all new cars be only RHD and stop disallowing people from driving unconverted newer model cars on our roads...

But anyways, we considered hiring a pickup trurk, but there's nowhere for the luggage to be kept securely. We did think briefly maybe a big SUV? Then we saw the Cadillac CTS at another rental place...yes please.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #30
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You can blame Volvo for that. The biggest problem with the SHO interior is a gigantic center console. You literally feel like you're sitting in a barrel while driving it.

The Police Interceptor version doesn't have the console, however, and uses a column shifter (American police prefer column shifters for some reason).