Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Speed limit increase possible: NSW premier

Speed limit increase possible: NSW premier

May 19, 2013 1:29PM

THE NSW government is prepared to consider increasing speed limits on freeways if it's deemed safe, Premier Barry O'Farrell says.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay has flagged raising speed limits by 5km or 10km per hour, if the roads meet certain standards.

Mr O'Farrell has backed the initiative, stressing any moves to increase limits would need to be properly assessed by the Centre for Road Safety.

"We should have speed limits that are appropriate for the roads on which people are driving," he told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.

"If that means that we build better freeways, if that means you can travel safely on those freeways at a higher level.. then we're prepared to have the safety experts look at it."

Opposition leader John Robertson said the government needed to come up with evidence that showed increasing speed limits didn't lead to more road deaths.

"I've not seen a safety report that says we ought to be increasing speed limits to drive down the road toll," he told reporters Sydney.

"I want to see the safety reports on this because what we know, and what police tell me, is that speed kills."

NSW had driven the road death toll down to record levels by cracking down on speeding, he said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/b...-1226646158777

My comment : will never happen north of the border!!!!

Last edited by csv8; 19-05-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speed limit increase possible: NSW premier

There has been talk of 120 or 130 limits in appropriate places.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of NSW 100/110 freeway and tollway limits could easily go to 110/120.
Old 19-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Speed limit increase possible: NSW premier

May 19, 2013 1:29PM

THE NSW government is prepared to consider increasing speed limits on freeways if it's deemed safe, Premier Barry O'Farrell says.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay has flagged raising speed limits by 5km or 10km per hour, if the roads meet certain standards.

Mr O'Farrell has backed the initiative, stressing any moves to increase limits would need to be properly assessed by the Centre for Road Safety.

"We should have speed limits that are appropriate for the roads on which people are driving," he told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.

"If that means that we build better freeways, if that means you can travel safely on those freeways at a higher level.. then we're prepared to have the safety experts look at it."

Opposition leader John Robertson said the government needed to come up with evidence that showed increasing speed limits didn't lead to more road deaths.

"I've not seen a safety report that says we ought to be increasing speed limits to drive down the road toll," he told reporters Sydney.

"I want to see the safety reports on this because what we know, and what police tell me, is that speed kills."

NSW had driven the road death toll down to record levels by cracking down on speeding, he said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/b...-1226646158777
i've bolded the critical bits that many people will miss. like all politicians, they make statements that sound like messages that people want to hear, but there's always an 'out' for them, and he has left himself a big one!!

next he'll say 'i was all for it but the experts have looked at it and said.....'

so transparent!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Another politician talking off the cuff as if he really know anything at all.

I swear politicians and journalists are divided into two groups of imbeciles at opposing poles of debates.
Their main purpose in life is to extend their political careers and dupe people into believing that they actually do something...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My comment : will never happen north of the border!!!!
Why are you always so negative.

I know for a fact that this is being looked at by QLD state government.

The primary problem is that all of the "safety groups" and senior public service ranks have been filled with people who promote a particular agenda and have forgotten that it is their job to carry out policy not make it.

It appears that gradually all departments are being "cleansed"........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

flappist..I am not being negative...just stating the obvious...if anything..they will lower the speed zones and put more constable kodaks out!!!! I know some QLD roads are goat tracks..but some should be 110/120km/hr...if they are thinking of raising the speed zones..they have kept it quiet....
Old 19-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

actually an example of the madness that abounds, is steve irwin way. up there on holidays a few months back and they seem to have it all back to front.

much of it is undivided, one lane each way at 100km/h. they have redone a fair portion of it at the northern end, and its now a divided road, 2 lanes in each direction and they've dropped the limit to 90!!! how does that work. all the experts will tell you that limits are assigned according to the quality of the road etc, and yet this seems to contradict everything they claim. brand new dual lane divided road is less safe apparently than the same road a few km south where its not divided, one lane each way.

i'm sure there are many other examples around the country but the amount of people that can still think for themselves is diminishing though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

That article is full of lies. The research that has been done in the US where raised speed limits has led to more deaths is a lie. In fact where the limit has been raised the injury rate has decreased. There might be one instance where they are correct but that would be an isolated one.

Our own experience here in Australia showed that if you decrease the limit from un-restricted the road toll can potentially double. And in two years it did.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 19-05-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Cant spell.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
actually an example of the madness that abounds, is steve irwin way. up there on holidays a few months back and they seem to have it all back to front.

much of it is undivided, one lane each way at 100km/h. they have redone a fair portion of it at the northern end, and its now a divided road, 2 lanes in each direction and they've dropped the limit to 90!!! how does that work. all the experts will tell you that limits are assigned according to the quality of the road etc, and yet this seems to contradict everything they claim. brand new dual lane divided road is less safe apparently than the same road a few km south where its not divided, one lane each way.

i'm sure there are many other examples around the country but the amount of people that can still think for themselves is diminishing though.
Yup, Steve irwin is a classic. Exit the Bruce at 110, hit the 100, hit the 80 at Beerburrum, then back up to 100 to just south of Matilda at Glasshouse where it drops to 80 .That speed limit follows through until the 90 zone kicks in the other side of the BP at Mooloolah. The tourists bog down at 80 as they exit the highway, and screw the pooch the whole way up the stretch that I've just described. The boys in blue love that stretch..

You can all thank me for the upgraded 80 k signs between Beerwah and Glasshouse. For those who remember, that used to be a 100 stretch and dropped back. Whoops..the Transport Dept forgot to upgrade the Australian Standards vis a vis separation of signs. Fish in a barrel for the constabulary.

it was fixed quick smart when I approached the local MLA. Don'y know if any drivers fought their speeding fines in court..

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

What you don't read here is that when they access the roads, they'll find them all unsafe.

Therefore reducing all speed limits because speed Kills - don't you know ......
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...if they are thinking of raising the speed zones..they have kept it quiet....
I believe the term is "can do" not "can babble about it in the media to give all the whingers a head start just in case it might reduce re-election chances rather than make the tough decisions that are actually good for the whole state not just a particular minority group".........

And yes it is being looked at but not by the 90km/h fairies.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

OK, lets go west a bit (NSW) There are 110kmh roads that are in worse condition than 100kmh roads over this way, for example Coonamble to Walgett.
Only difference is traffic volume.
I do think that the Barrier Highway should be more than 110. As the Mitchell Hwy north of Nyngan should be too. You can scoot along these roads a bit quicker than allowed and be rounded up by trucks.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
would need to be properly assessed by the Centre for Road safety
The same safety experts that currently say no increase is warranted... i doubt they will suddenly reverse their advice, unless there's a new set of parameters to determine the limit. Personally, every highway should be evaluated and limited accordingly. There's some highways in NSW that are barely suitable for 100, let alone anything higher.
Old 19-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

We actually have one of the most progressive roads minister in NSW's history. Couple that with Anderson and the Premier, and I expect we'll make some in-roads into the decades of anti-driver agenda.

His action outcomes have included the "NSW Breakdown Safety Strategy" following advocacy (this is the first step to getting vests, triangle et al into motor cars 'as standard'), among the many other Actions taking place under it.

The move to 120-130km/h limits is in keeping with two things;
a) the NSW coalition promise to study speed-limits and have RMS post higher or lower limits as needed prior to the election; and

b) ATSB's report CR216; this studies a 130km/h limit for application to national route 1. The outcome is positive for motorway class lengths, provided we utilise VMS and ITS technologies. The overriding reason for the study = "national productivity". We are tightening state 'equipment that may be required on board' specification. Other states shall follow.

We'll deal with the NSW employees in due course. I suggest all fair dinkum road users, get on board and support the Minister.

For NSW to do this, this state needs to do some work on our "NSW Speed Zoning Guidelines", as this document alone, only allows for a 110km/h limit maximum. RMS will be directed, I expect, to cater for requirement of both 120 and 130km/h.

Email him:-
office@gay.minister.nsw.gov.au
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
I wonder if this clown is taking himself seriously. Raising speed limits by 10km/h is not going to kill people. Although it will further widen the gap between P Plate speed limits and the rest of traffic which I think starts to become dangerous when they are bottlenecking a 2 lane highway.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed limits will never rise as long as the promotion is on speed kills. Look at it from the centre for road safety's point of view. Cars driving along a road, have a collision, if the speed is higher is the collision more severe? Of course it is and that is how they always think.
It is the same way accident prevention is viewed in the workplace. Just cause there has been no incident it doesnt mean that one wont happen. The centre for road safety will think the same. It is not called the centre for efficient road travel.
In politicians minds safety over rules everything.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
We actually have one of the most progressive roads minister in NSW's history. Couple that with Anderson and the Premier, and I expect we'll make some in-roads into the decades of anti-driver agenda.

His action outcomes have included the "NSW Breakdown Safety Strategy" following advocacy (this is the first step to getting vests, triangle et al into motor cars 'as standard'), among the many other Actions taking place under it.

The move to 120-130km/h limits is in keeping with two things;
a) the NSW coalition promise to study speed-limits and have RMS post higher or lower limits as needed prior to the election; and

b) ATSB's report CR216; this studies a 130km/h limit for application to national route 1. The outcome is positive for motorway class lengths, provided we utilise VMS and ITS technologies. The overriding reason for the study = "national productivity". We are tightening state 'equipment that may be required on board' specification. Other states shall follow.

We'll deal with the NSW employees in due course. I suggest all fair dinkum road users, get on board and support the Minister.

For NSW to do this, this state needs to do some work on our "NSW Speed Zoning Guidelines", as this document alone, only allows for a 110km/h limit maximum. RMS will be directed, I expect, to cater for requirement of both 120 and 130km/h.

Email him:-
office@gay.minister.nsw.gov.au
Thanks for your informative post. Though some of the jargon has me a little unsure. I'll send an email to Duncan Gay tomorrow.

Can you confirm that VMS means Variable Message Signs. Is that variable speed limit signs? What are the ITS signs? Are they the information signs?

Anyway, i'm happy to see that the Liberal-Nationals are continuing on with this election promise. I know they already had audited alot of roads changing the speed limits (some up, some down) and got rid of many fixed cameras. Although more mobile speed cameras.

I seriously hope the 130kmh limit gets implemented. Will take about 30 minutes or more off the regular trip to Canberra. We could break the trip into 2 x 2.25hr stints. Nice, safer from a fatigue point of view.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

All I can say on this topic, is I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the News Ltd report, all the Chicken Littles are coming out of the woodwork, including the RMS.

Quote:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226645948037

SPEED limits could be increased to 120km/h on major roads and highways despite research showing it would cause more deaths.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay told parliament he was prepared to consider raising the limit on roads that meet certain standards.

Mr Gay told parliament: "A conversation should be had in relation to road speed limits.

"With the amount of work being done on constructing good roads, perhaps an increase in the speed limit should be looked at by the Centre for Road Safety.

"I think that in the future we need to look at perhaps increasing speed limits by 5km or 10km per hour, if that is safe, on roads that are built to a certain standard."

But he added: "I cannot think of one that meets that standard at the moment."

He made the comments despite signing a National Road Safety Strategy report in 2011 that stated the likelihood of a serious crash "rises significantly with even minor changes in travelling speed".

The research shows a 5 per cent increase could result in a 15 per cent rise in serious crashes and 22 per cent rise in fatal crashes.

Mr Gay's own department released a statement saying it was against increasing the speed limit beyond 110km/h.

"Experience from other countries where speed limits have been raised, such as the United States, provides compelling evidence that increased speed limits lead to increased travel speeds and increased crashes," the statement said.

The comments were made during questioning by Labor frontbencher Walt Secord, a member of the Staysafe committee, who asked Mr Gay if he would support such a measure.

NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury said: "Any changes to speed zones need to be backed by evidence to show that they deliver a safety benefit, regardless of whether the speed goes up or down."

Raphael Grzebieta, the Chairman of Road Safety at the NSW Injury Risk Management Research Centre, branded any increase in speed as "a crazy idea". "For every 5 per cent increase you'll get a 20 to 25 per cent increase in fatalities," Mr Grzebieta said.

Raising speed limits was a key promise for the Liberals and Nationals in opposition.
I must have been living in a parallel universe when I was driving in Europe for 6 months last year. And, before somebody says it, no, the roads aren't significantly different from Australia's. Germany, which allows unlimited speeds on motorways (indicated 130) has a lower per capita road death rate than Australia. How does that fit with the claim of exponential rise in fatalities above present Australian speeds?

I reckon Mr Gay should bypass the RMS and bring a team of experts from Germany out here to review all of NSW's highways and motorways and make detailed recommendations.

In the process they might be able to work out why the RMS sets a 110 limit on the older F6 which doesn't have crossover barriers and sets a 100 limit on the new motorway from Albion Park to Kiama which is built to top European standards including crossover barriers. They might find quite a few holes in the RMS's (double?) standards.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too long ago a German bloke stated we should raise our limits to reduce fatigue and micro sleeps on our roads. Of course it was laughed at but I for one agree it is effective.

Personally whenever I get onto the M7 I instantly start to doze off while sitting on 100kmph... But if I'm doing 120 (yes I admit I sometimes break the law) then I'm fine.. Not sure what the logic is but it works
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
Not too long ago a German bloke stated we should raise our limits to reduce fatigue and micro sleeps on our roads. Of course it was laughed at but I for one agree it is effective.

Personally whenever I get onto the M7 I instantly start to doze off while sitting on 100kmph... But if I'm doing 120 (yes I admit I sometimes break the law) then I'm fine.. Not sure what the logic is but it works
The German bloke is spot-on, why would he be laughed at? I too doze off on long journeys here sticking at the 100/110. In Europe I had no problem staying alert at 130+. And the journey was over quicker, which is really the most important thing.

I also find it highly stressful constantly watching for police here. This, I really notice. It's something you simply don't have to contend with in Europe unless you do something really stupid (like significantly breach speed limits in urban areas).

I really hate driving here since I got back, it feels like a police state. But there's no decent bloody public transport so you don't have a choice. They get you both ways, making sure the "tyranny of distance" retains its stranglehold on Australian life and productivity.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Cars have improved but the roads havn't ..
In U.S the open speed limit is 80mph..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
. Raising speed limits by 10km/h is not going to kill people. Although it will further widen the gap between P Plate speed limits and the rest of traffic which I think starts to become dangerous when they are bottlenecking a 2 lane highway.
Agreed....
In many case its not the roads as many pollies rant on about......its the people who drive on them.....
While raising the speed limits might seem like a good idea to some, you always have to allow for the lowest common denominator.....like P platers, 80 year old grannies and others who really shouldnt be on the roads especially at those sort of speeds...(we all have our own horror stories about useless drivers we've come across)
So apart from "grading" drivers, how do we decide whos going to be safe and who's not?
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

The Hume in large parts between Melb and Syd could easily be 120. Same deal for most of the Federal Highway that connects Canberra north to the Hume.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Why are you always so negative.

I know for a fact that this is being looked at by QLD state government.

The primary problem is that all of the "safety groups" and senior public service ranks have been filled with people who promote a particular agenda and have forgotten that it is their job to carry out policy not make it.

It appears that gradually all departments are being "cleansed"........
That's a strange view - the role of the public service is to develop policy, both strategic and operational, not just implement it. You give politicians way too much credit if you think they have come up with the policies that govern this country. It is true that they may set the high level agenda, but it is the public servants you seem to slag off at every opportunity that make it real (sometimes even in the face of obvious stupidity....but the minister is the boss).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The reason speed limits will not be increased is the same reason we have a large number of speed camera vans in the name of 'safety'... one word... revenue.

Why build better roads to improve traffic flow / safety when you could be making money off the issue instead?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
FastFiesta
Starter Motor

I have driven in highways in Europe excluding the Autobarn, which one day soon i hope to do when i am more cashed up. But the 130 Km/h limit on highways on restricted roads certainly feels a lot safer then doing 100-110 km/h on highways that are as long as about 20 European countries put together.

Although i believe there needs to be a complete re-think from state and Federal governments, and their old and tired 'Speed Kills' campaign demonising any speed above the posted 'super low nanny limits'. It's not working people are still dying.

Here's what i think we need to do in Australia...

1. Adopt a similar system to Germany where..

3 Month intensive one on one driver training with a qualified driver instuctor,no more passing down bad habits from parents. This is where 3/4 of idiots are prohibited from ever getting on the road!
Defensive Driver training becomes mandatory, important for dealing with emergency situations where split second decisions can be the matter of life and death.
You get thought the basics of maintaining a roadworthy motor vehicle, whether you know much about cars or not!

2. Design and build better quality road systems.

Completely re-think about lane merging, this is where a majority of fatalities come into play. just look at the truck that hung over a ramp as it was entering citylink due to car that cut him off by being lazy and not doing headchecks
Get police involved in ensuring that traffic flow is quickly and efficiently restored after a multi car pile up, or break down, this is not only dangerous if not cleared quickly, but cause frustration to other other road users due to delays.
Re-think about what kind of road paving material dependant upon terrain hilly, tropical, desert etc. For example in areas experiencing large annual rainfall use concrete, also think about the depth of the finished surface. In Australia Asphalt only has to be 5-10 cms in depth! At that depth come a few heavy rains, snow, heat waves etc before pot holes appear causing more fatalities.
Even on Toll Roads as most Victorian motorists would know on the recently re-surfaced citylink that surfacing depth was at the best maybe 5-10 cms. This is unacceptable due to the sheer volume of this road in which the average day will see between 300,000-400,000 vehicles use this road.

Even publicly funded roads need a greater depth due to a multitude of situations including heavy vehicles sometimes weighing 100 tons smashing up road surfaces causing corrugations and cracking.

But i guess what do i know pollies only know how to slash budgets, and give very little to decent infrastructure projects. The construction guidelines for main roads, including A, B, C grade roads needs to be revised.
FastFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #29
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post

I'm the same. I find 100km/h is a rather boring speed. I try too vary my speed when I drive on a long trip so I don't get used too the note of the motor siting at the same speed putting me to sleep or bored. i'll drive at 100km/h for a bit then 110km/h for a bit and then 90km/h for a bit. sometimes i'll sit 120km/h. I always drive too conditions in saying this. if I feel its safe i'll do it but if not speed limit or less.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Green groups will also be against it as a higher highway limit will result in greater consumption, and pollution.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post