Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default New QLD learner tests

Finally a bit of common sense:

From news.com.au

Quote:
LEARNER drivers in Queensland will undergo tougher licence tests that will examine their ability to do high-risk manoeuvres.

There will be less emphasis on reverse parking and more placed on risky manoeuvres, such as merging at high speeds and turning across oncoming traffic.

The pilot for the new tests will be introduced mid-2014 and are part of the Queensland government's reform package targeting young and older drivers.

Transport Minister Scott Emerson says younger drivers are over represented in crashes.

"When younger drivers go onto our roads we want to make sure they are more competent at doing those more risker manoeuvres such as going around roundabouts, merging lanes and turning right across traffic," Mr Emerson told reporters.

He said 84 young drivers, aged 16 to 24, were involved in fatal crashes last year, five more than the previous year.

There will also be changes for older drivers.

Drivers aged 75 and over will have to undergo medical examinations every 12 months instead of every five years.

More competence testing for motorcyclists will also be introduced.

Indooroopilly Driving School teacher Greg Urbahn told reporters he agreed with the reforms.

He said many young drivers don't know how to merge safely at high speeds.

"Reverse parking is a key part of the test (at the moment) but no one can get maimed or killed by that action," Mr Urbahn said.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
strik9
aka fpv747

Default Re: New QLD learner tests

makes more sense. and time to rid the road of some grey army the ones that can't drive at all or have to sit 40km under the speed limit, and who can't merge at low speed let alone high speed.
even with a ford ranger up there ar$#
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I have a small chuckle to myself when I see the odd red P plater lane changing through traffic and tailgating, thinking to myself " I'll bet you weren't doing that 12 months ago!"

I find the 100 hours log book has a problem too. My 3 kids have been through this system and I strictly made them do the 100 hours proper, they kept whinging that their mates at school never truly filled their log book out and cheated with their times logged, they still got their license.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
I find the 100 hours log book has a problem too. My 3 kids have been through this system and I strictly made them do the 100 hours proper, they kept whinging that their mates at school never truly filled their log book out and cheated with their times logged, they still got their license.
I noticed the same thing - I did my full 120 hours (NSW, which requires 20 night hours at least) over the 12 months I had my L's for, yet there are plenty of people who I know who have just forged nearly all of their hours, then wonder why I say they don't know how to drive properly (read tailgating, cutting me off, and nearly taking out parked cars!).

It's a pity that RTA/RMS workers don't do a full read of log books. Maybe if they had to be done electronically (electronically logged the KM's), then the amount of "unsafe" drivers would quickly drop in younger drivers, and make it so at least a minimum certain hours have to be done with an instructor. If the learner can't afford it, have a government incentive of some sort to instructors who help teach learners..?

That's my 2c anyway.
Old 19-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But why mid 2014 ??? why not by September ,this year if so concerned about road safety????
"All license reforms underwent community consultation in 2012. Full recommendations will be available at www.tmr.qld.gov.au. The Queensland Driver Licence Reform will be implemented progressively in 2013 and 2014."

Last edited by csv8; 19-05-2013 at 05:27 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9 View Post
makes more sense. and time to rid the road of some grey army the ones that can't drive at all or have to sit 40km under the speed limit, and who can't merge at low speed let alone high speed.
even with a ford ranger up there ar$#
As opposed to some punk kid who has good reflexes and no ability ? wake up to the truth

Some of us are old enough to admit we don't have all the answers
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGhia View Post
I noticed the same thing - I did my full 120 hours (NSW, which requires 20 night hours at least) over the 12 months I had my L's for, yet there are plenty of people who I know who have just forged nearly all of their hours, then wonder why I say they don't know how to drive properly (read tailgating, cutting me off, and nearly taking out parked cars!).

It's a pity that RTA/RMS workers don't do a full read of log books. Maybe if they had to be done electronically (electronically logged the KM's), then the amount of "unsafe" drivers would quickly drop in younger drivers, and make it so at least a minimum certain hours have to be done with an instructor. If the learner can't afford it, have a government incentive of some sort to instructors who help teach learners..?

That's my 2c anyway.
Cheating needs stopping , and make the hours real and enforced , I dove on the farm 5 years before old enough to legally hit the road , still had to pass the test and the local coppa was harder on me because , I have taught a lot of people to drive and one woman after several dozen lessons agreed not to try anymore , some people are naturals but she wasn't
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77 View Post
As opposed to some punk kid who has good reflexes and no ability ? wake up to the truth

Some of us are old enough to admit we don't have all the answers
your correct there too. it was just a gripe from sitting on 60 in a 100 zone every weekend for the last 10 years.
no offence.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At last a trickle of understanding. For years and years intelligent, committed road safety champions have been putting forward the case for better driver education as a first step to decrease road deaths. And for many more years, the elected richard craniums have burst onto the news programs and declared their war against the road toll by erecting more "speed" cameras. Their judgement day will come.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post