Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Ford: Highest profit in 10 years

Not a bad effort in the current economic/motoring climate?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-bea...12-profit.html

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: Ford: Highest profit in 10 years

Nice to see
Looking forward to the local region numbers
Old 31-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's nice.. Image when the have Europe sorted!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
BroadyFord

Ford reports big 2012 profits but forecasts continued decline in Europe

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257B030002DCBE

30 January 2013
By MIKE COSTELLO
RECORD results in North America covered continued losses in Europe and a lukewarm result in South America to power Ford Motor Company to a $US8 billion profit in 2012.

A strong final three months of the year brought the company home with a wet sail, with a fourth quarter pre-tax profit of $US1.7 billion ($A1.6 billion) its highest in more than a decade.

The full-year figure was down on the $US8.8 billion profit recorded in 2011, but nevertheless marks fourteen straight quarters in the black for the Detroit-based car-maker.

Again, its US domestic market was responsible for the lion’s share of earnings, with record pre-tax profits of $US8.3 billion and an operating margin of 10.4 per cent reflecting the continued recovery of the US market as a whole post Global Financial Crisis.

The company predicts even stronger US pre-tax profits in 2013, citing efforts to slim down its cost structure, better match production with demand and its industry leading roll-out of new-generation model lines.

However, the results were overshadowed by a worse than expected full-year pre-tax loss of $US1.75 billion in Europe, compared to a loss of $US27 million a year earlier.

Ford of Europe’s fourth quarter pre-tax operating loss of $732 million widened sharply from a loss of $190 million in 2011.

The European arm experienced substantial decline in both volume (1.35 million, down from 1.6 million in 2011) and annual revenue (down to $US26.6 billion from $US33.8 billion one year earlier).

These figures were compounded by the forecast of a further $US2 billion in losses for 2013 as the company faces up to an “uncertain” business environment and another volume contraction. Ford said it now expects total European sales volumes to be lower than the 14 million units sold in 2012.

As reported last October, Ford intends to close its assembly plants in Genk, Belgium, and Southampton, England, as well its stamping and tooling operations in Dagenham, east of London, by the end of 2014, in a move that would cost at least 6200 jobs.

The company also reported substantially lower profits of $US213 million in South America – down from $861 million in 2011 – with the launch of several new model lines offset by higher costs and unfavourable exchange rates with Brazil, the region’s biggest market.

Both sales volumes (498,000 units compared to 506,000 in 2011) and revenues ($US10.1 billion, compared to $US11 billion a year earlier) were down on the previous annual figures.

A 41 per cent increase in sales and a $US39 million profit in the fourth quarter were not enough to drag Ford’s Asia, Pacific and Africa division (which includes Australia) out of the red, although its full-year pre-tax loss of $US77 million compared favourably the the $US92 million loss in 2011.

Despite the loss, Ford said its APA division sold more than 1 million vehicles (1.03 million) for the first time in 2012 – up from 901 million units in 2011 – and recorded a record-breaking $US10 billion in revenue (up from $8.4 billion).

Ford has a rosier outlook for the region in 2013, predicting continued growth in volume and revenue to help it break even.

The launch of new models such as the Kuga, EcoSport and updated Fiesta across the region – as well as the Mondeo and Explorer in China – will be offset by “continued strong investment” across the region to support its longer-range growth plans.

Meanwhile, Ford Motor Credit Company – the Blue Oval’s financial services division – recorded a pre-tax profit of $US1.7 billion, down $700 million on the previous year, partially down to lower financing margins.

Ford president and CEO Alan Mulally said the positive growth showed the company’s One Ford plan, highlighted by greater model sharing between diverse markets, was working.

“We are well positioned for another strong year in 2013, as we continue our plan to serve customers in all markets around the world with a full family of vehicles – small, medium and large; cars, utilities and trucks – with the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value,” he said.

As part of the United Auto Workers-Ford collective bargaining agreement, Ford says it will make profit sharing payments of approximately $8,300 to 45,800 eligible US hourly employees on March 14 this year.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God bless Alan Mullaly . Just finished reading Ford Motor Company The Greatest Corporate Turnaround in Americas History . Just about to start reading American Icon

Last edited by wrongwaynorris; 31-01-2013 at 12:05 PM.
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear ford are making more profit in these hard times

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Bingerz
Starter Motor

For sure, they can definitely carry the Asia Pacific arm. New Falcon here we come
Bingerz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd suggest the continual bleeding in this region would clearly seal the fate of a unique Falcon, the day of carrying other divisions has gone i suspect. Best we could expect is a Falcon badged Taurus in my view.

Excellent news for FoMoCo though, Mullally has done an amazing job and all effectively self funded, just got to shaw up Europe and the Apac region now.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With FoA having to pay out the 400 or so workers they sacked, the finacial results for 2012 will be another bloodbath.

But North America is dragging in massive profits.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So, FoA's loss all due to Australia and the Falcon?

I guess you heard it here first...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #11
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who said that was the case Nikked?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I'd suggest the continual bleeding in this region would clearly seal the fate of a unique Falcon, the day of carrying other divisions has gone i suspect. Best we could expect is a Falcon badged Taurus in my view.

Excellent news for FoMoCo though, Mullally has done an amazing job and all effectively self funded, just got to shaw up Europe and the Apac region now.
would`nt that be a sad day.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be mik, but I never said FoMoCo AU's loss was all due to the Falcon if that's what your implying.

I have no knowledge (and neither does anyone here) of the profitability of the current Falcon/Territory and it may well be that it's making a profit in it's current form. However, companies typically look at ROI and given the continual losses in this region when they have essentially the same products in their portfolio, i'd suggest the ROI on developing a new Falcon would make poor sense - as much as I hate to say it.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So, FoA's loss all due to Australia and the Falcon?

I guess you heard it here first...
While it wasn't implied, the Falcon obviously isn't turning a profit for FoA so I suppose the Falcon is a factor
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
It would be mik, but I never said FoMoCo AU's loss was all due to the Falcon if that's what your implying.

I have no knowledge (and neither does anyone here) of the profitability of the current Falcon/Territory and it may well be that it's making a profit in it's current form. However, companies typically look at ROI and given the continual losses in this region when they have essentially the same products in their portfolio, i'd suggest the ROI on developing a new Falcon would make poor sense - as much as I hate to say it.
no my sentiment is, won`t it be a sad day when we can no longer buy a home grown rear wheel drive family sedan............ and we will then have to endure another bloody front wheel drive import(long live the falcon and commy!).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True mik mate, I actually don't know what I will buy if it goes, probably just keep the FG XR8 indefinitely. Although if they introduce the Mustang at around XR8 pricing i'll go for that
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
God bless Alan Mullaly . Just finished reading Ford Motor Company The Greatest Corporate Turnaround in Americas History . Just about to start reading American Icon
American Icon is a very interesting and informative book. I read it on my trip to Australia. I finished it right before I went to Bathurst.

Ford of Australia is only mentioned in passing in it, though. The whole corporation was really on the brink of extinction, so the story is very Dearborn focused.