Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Merging falcon and mustang

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...-finesse-14891

All hypothetical but interesting as well

Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

A hypothetical? watch out...FLAPPIST will be onto this like... :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I like that article... and not too far fetched I would think.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I like that article... and not too far fetched I would think.
I agree. Also the writer has justified a business case to sell more units in markets that Ford US dont really get into.
Old 22-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
mikmak

This really needs to happen, for the sake of Ford enthusiasts everywhere. Of course one might argue (and I often do on a GM site no less) that Falcon should already be melting rubber across the planet. I even went so far as to investigate how hard it would be to convert them from Correct Hand Drive to Wrong hand drive.

The steering arm (duh )

Plenty of room (looking forward from behind the left front wheel)....

Aside from a bespoke dash and inverted front rack (plus a few smaller items) and rerouting a few hoses, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I even know a local comany that can do it if enough interest was generated to warrant the investment: Performax International

Check out their current setup that I recently checked out[URL=http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f32/rwd-alive-part-1-american-werewolves-gympie-75550[/URL]

Yeah yeah, start the Holden abuse. But at the end of the day, I'm a RWD fan. :evilsasmo
Old 22-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
fresh from sticking it to another media outlet for irresponsible speculation
The claws are out!
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Good read, and great idea's!!

Imagine a Turbo I6 in a Mustang? would be different and rather cool IMO!
Old 22-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

So basically they are saying that there is no reason why Falcon, Mustang, Taurus X/Freestyle whatever its called, and Territory to NOT share a platform.
Old 22-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
BrisVegas
Noobie

It would improve the offerings both in America and here if BOTH Mustang (coupe) & Falcon (sedan) were available. They could have much the same underpinnings, but appeal to different target markets.

I agree about the Focus & Mondeo, they should be the fleet vehicle of choice, rather than Falcons.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
BrisVegas
Noobie

Falcon & Mustang are a logical counter to the Commodore & Camaro.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Its an interesting article, however I can not see the Americans wanting to send the platform to lil ol Oz, and for us to assemble it and send it back to them. Usually massive US companies pull everything back to the 'States' dont they?

I could (unfortunately) see Ford US build and ship 80% of the next Falcon Territory to Aus, for us to put body panels on and interiors etc.

I hope this isnt the case, and the Carpoint have gotten most of it right.

One thing is for sure though. Only time will tell.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, I like it that carpoint are sticking it to Drive as much as we have been.

Lukeyson
Old 22-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmak
This really needs to happen, for the sake of Ford enthusiasts everywhere. Of course one might argue (and I often do on a GM site no less) that Falcon should already be melting rubber across the planet. I even went so far as to investigate how hard it would be to convert them from Correct Hand Drive to Wrong hand drive.

The steering arm (duh )

Plenty of room (looking forward from behind the left front wheel)....

Aside from a bespoke dash and inverted front rack (plus a few smaller items) and rerouting a few hoses, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I even know a local comany that can do it if enough interest was generated to warrant the investment: Performax International

Check out their current setup that I recently checked out[URL=http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f32/rwd-alive-part-1-american-werewolves-gympie-75550[/URL]

Yeah yeah, start the Holden abuse. But at the end of the day, I'm a RWD fan. :evilsasmo
The FG has been design protected for LHD, meaning it was designed to be able to be converted to LHD if they wanted too, and there is nothing major in the design that will get in the way of doing it if they had too, so it can happen if Detroit give them the nod.

If it did happen it will without a doubt mean the death of the I6 though, it will be V6 and V8 only. The Mustang is already getting the V6 next year and the engine plant here cannot provide the volumes of engines needed to handle Falcon, Territory and Mustang, and it would be easier for parts and servicing if the Mustang used the V6 which is basically the same as used in other Ford US vehicles such as Taurus and some Lincoln models, and soon F series.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I would imagine that the death of the I6 is inevitable anyway, sooner or later, for the same reasons Gorman gave back when he announced the closure of the plant. However, bonnet clearance issues aside, is there any reason why the Orion platform cannot accept both engines? It's wishful thinking I feel if people think the Mustang will be made here because of some form of platform sharing, but in some of those GoAuto articles and that carpoint one (not this one) the FoA spokesperson spoke of the one Ford thing and how it will allow global products to be 'tailored' to local markets...
Old 22-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I would imagine that the death of the I6 is inevitable anyway, sooner or later, for the same reasons Gorman gave back when he announced the closure of the plant. However, bonnet clearance issues aside, is there any reason why the Orion platform cannot accept both engines? It's wishful thinking I feel if people think the Mustang will be made here because of some form of platform sharing, but in some of those GoAuto articles and that carpoint one (not this one) the FoA spokesperson spoke of the one Ford thing and how it will allow global products to be 'tailored' to local markets...
Yep, its inevitable. Euro 5 will probably kill it off but the government is yet to set a date for when it will come into effect. Many are suggesting maybe 2015?

I've heard that Euro 5 is really stringent and the I6 probably wouldn't get past it without massive amounts of money for direct injection and so forth. Still might not be enough to get it past, but the V6 will come eventually anyway.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Scott

Nice article that, nice to read something from the media that is constructive and positive rather than just sensationalist negative and damaging tripe we normally come across.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I can't remember which issue of Wheels it was, but Robbo was saying the exact same thing well over 15 year ago, re Mustang/Falcon shared platform.

The article is, as JPFS1 says, not far fetched at all. Not the gist of it, anyway. Although hypothetical there are very strong points, such as...
"Kuzak and Farley are aware that the Mustang coupe, even more than the Falcon, stands or falls by being rear-wheel drive. Nothing else will do. Ford has to remain in the rear-wheel drive market in one way or another" And this is why I believe, barring the unforeseen, it doesn't (and it never will) make sense to make the Falc a FWD.

The following is something else I'd like to see as well, especially when the base XT looks quite dull next to the G6...
"Where company cars continue to be purchased under the watchful purview of a fleet manager, they're tending to be more economical cars -- and smaller. So the Focus could and should be Ford's fleet sales conquistador, not the Falcon.

Since sales of the XT are now down around 30 per cent of total FG Falcon sales, with the remaining 60 or 70 per cent composed of lucrative XR and G6 models, why not just pull the plug on the Falcon (XT) as a fleet queen? After all, it's the private buyers that want the car to remain a rear-driver; the fleet buyers mostly couldn't give a tinker's cuss. If they're looking for a spacious 'large' car and don't care about which end drives, offer them a deal on Mondeo."
Old 22-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It may be wishful thinking, for me, this article really hits all the nails on the head.

The government fleet market has changed. Period. Australian made and four cylinders makes it a compelling (emotional) argument for the government fleets to buy.
Ford knows that the Territory is just too good to kill. This article posits a way to keep it alive.

An AWD Falcon with Ecoboost would be a killer vehicle. Where do I sign up?

An AWD Territory with diesel would also be a killer vehicle. If Ford can get it over the 5.5 greenstar guide, consider it sold.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
mikmak

Do you really want an AWD Falcon? In my opinion (for what it's worth ) AWD doesn't belong on a car that already needs to be as light as possible. Let's not even start on the front end weight bias. Sure the yanks need them, but they already have the big *** Taurus to take care of that.
Old 23-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So if Mustang and Falcon share a platform, then this is a case of these cars going back to their origins. The Mustang was just a 2 door body thrown on the falcon chassis because Ford couldn't sell the falcon. But the Mustang became an overnight success and Lee Iococca (sp?) looked like a genius!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmak
Do you really want an AWD Falcon? In my opinion (for what it's worth ) AWD doesn't belong on a car that already needs to be as light as possible. Let's not even start on the front end weight bias. Sure the yanks need them, but they already have the big *** Taurus to take care of that.
I agree, The money to get it AWD would be better spent making it lighter, same as making it FWD. Ford has technology (developed by Volvo) where they can make the panels thinner yet still stay as strong as they were previously. This would cut weight and reduced fuel consumption.
Old 23-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #22
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for lighter RWD. In the FG 4kg was saved in the NA I6 inlet manifold. 21kg saved in the new front suspension.

Despite the savings FG weight remained the same due to more and more safety features.

I'd really like to see the update go on a big diet, yeah, dreaming I know. :
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Do you realy think the Mustang will go FWD ??
G.M went mainly FWD on all there cars..
Look where they are now !
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Everything points in a certain direction -- but it's all fiction remember..."

That last line in the article is a bit cheeky....isn't it? :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am i right in assuming that, if the mustang (2 door) and Falcon (4 door) share the same platform, it would be possible, at a greatly reduced price, to get coupes going again with the new falcons?
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #26
CRUSHU F150
Gettin' Bigger ;)

Here is a sneak preview of a test mule BF ute:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ancedsmall.jpg
CRUSHU F150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Am i right in assuming that, if the mustang (2 door) and Falcon (4 door) share the same platform, it would be possible, at a greatly reduced price, to get coupes going again with the new falcons?
Not a chance. Coupes just don't sell in high enough numbers to justify the costs. Even if Falcon and Mustang do share the same platform it would still most likely mean that all the body panels between them would be different, a top hat as they call it. But it could mean that they make the Mustang in RHD and sell it alongside Falcon, which would be awesome.

Would be fairly easy to do if the chassis is already RHD compatible.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Im part of the Falcon staying RWD belivers.

It makes sense to not mess with a formula, even in tough times.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I don't have time to read that whole article right now, but what I did read was pretty interesting.

One idea I got from it is for the next gen Mustang. In 1971 the Mustang got bigger. If the current Mustang goes to the Falcon wheelbase Ford could then give the Mustang some 1971 styling. Just a thought.

And how did we sneak that picture of the test mule BF??? : Is that a Ute version Mustang??

Someone made a comment about the Mustang being released because they could not sell Falcons. Mustang was made with Falcon bits in order to save tooling costs in an effort by Iacocca to get approval for Mustang production.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #30
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So if Mustang and Falcon share a platform, then this is a case of these cars going back to their origins.
Correct. The circle of life.

Good idea though, hypothetically speaking.