Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Stock Amp wiring

Does anyone have any idea how a Premium head unit is wired to the stock amp ? i wont to keep the stock head unit and put my own amp in.. but i dont have the factory amp installed.. i know there is a cable ford supplies (well so i heard) that acts as an RCA lead but in wire form... anyone know what im on about ? haha
Thanks

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

from pulling my mums head unit out, she has premo sound in her AU, it is a separate loom i believe, that runs to the amp/sub.

but then again, that spare loom could be for the REX system.

sorry, that really wasnt much help at all :
Old 23-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
brad`
The Monty

haha its alright, i was thinking of going to fords and asking, but thjey will prob charge just to tell me.. biggest rips if you dont know what your after haha
Old 23-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
partie

there is an amp cable connecting the HU to the AMP.

Within the amp cable, is the rca signal wire.

Once you have the cable connect the HU, you can run any amp you want.
partie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory
all you need to do is turn that loom into a set of RCA cables.. (can pick them up from dicksmiths or jaycar where you clamp the wires in etc)

they are basically just a pos and neg wire

sombody DID write a tutorial on it a while back but i cant remember who or where it was

good luck
Old 24-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
brad`
The Monty

thanks... i also was looking in my boot and i came across this (photo) i dont have any idea what it could be used for... one side runs towards the tail lights and the other towards the front of the car.. there is a Yellow cable.. and one more buts its all taped up. I also have the tow pack as a feature. something to do with that im guessing now i think about it. Any ideas ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0360.JPG (24.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 24-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the S1 cd stacker is directly bolted infront of the amp..
might be for that?
Old 25-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
brad`
The Monty

my 6 stack is located unbder the passenger front seat. dont ask me why. make changing cds easier tho.
Old 25-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try checking those wires for power, with the ign off and on acc with the radio on, and see what you get
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

i would just buy a high low converter from jaycar (approx $20) and connect it to the rear speaker wires behind the head unit (being careful not to cut the wires off the loom, just strip them and connect the converter wires) then plug rca's into that and run them to the amp, i would also connect up a wire for remote off accessory on the rear of the headunit and run it to the amp too.

with the converter behind the head unit and rca's running from there to the amplifier it makes the job much easier and a neater look in the end, then all you need is power and ground.

also if you don't know how to find the rear speaker wires (i.e dont have or dont know how to use a battery poper) simply have a look under the parcel shelf and you'll see the colours going to the speakers, these are the ones you need to connect up to. One pair is pink the other might be grey not 100% though.
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
my 6 stack is located unbder the passenger front seat. dont ask me why. make changing cds easier tho.
Is your head unit a Hi-Series or a Premium sound? There is a diffefence. Hi-Series don't run an amp( and were fitted under the pass seat) while the Premium do. The wire connection in the boot is for the amp power feed, but you will most probably find that the power feed in the dash loom to the fuse box is not there.I got a dash loom out of a wreck that had premium sound and pulled it apart to get the wire and connector to fit into the fuse box so it would look origional and not have wires hanging everywhere.
So to fit a stock amp in you have to have a Premiun head unit as they have the connection to fit the cable needed to go to the boot to feed the CD changer and amp.Cable from Ford was about $400 but I got one made from ASL (forum sponsor) for less than half that price.
Then there is a wiring loom that goes from the amp to the rear speakers and sub woofer.
Old 25-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
brad`
The Monty

Thanks xr62nv, just checked on jay cars website $14 so thats even better haha, thanks for the help.

lotus.. sounds like 2 much hard work for me haha thanks any way.
Old 26-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh by the way
STANDARD RCA cables from aftermarket headunits do NOT power up the stock amp..
or at least mine didnt from the headunit to the amp ..
luckily i run 2 aftermarket amps and its just added weight in the rear of my barge LOL
Old 26-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

no worries mate

blackers10,
rca's never power up an amp the remote wire is what switches the amp on and off (i.e. the wire i reccomended to run off accessory) however if you simply wired it off another amp it will work just as good
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know mate but thats not what i ment
i worded it wrong i suppose.

i wired up the stock amp to act as a regular amp..
it didnt work.. (used the rcas and remote wire i have running to my other amps)

so unsure what to think of it??

cheers