Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 
Default diff upgrade

Own a stock au xr6, wanting to upgrade to a 3.9 diff ratio. Is the speedo the only thing that needs to be re-calibrated or do the shift patterns go out too?
anyone carried out this mod on an au yet? any help is appreciated.

xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
sly
Sly like a G6

Presumably it's automatic? Yes the shift points need to be recalibrated else it won't change up at WOT. Easily enough done if you already have a flash box. The wiring diagram shows the speedo is driven by the PCM, I'm not sure if reflashing for a shorter diff will make the speedo read correctly or if you still need to get a different drive gear.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

in the AU ... you will need the correct drive gear for the transmission.
Not sure if this will sort your shift points out though ... I hadn't thought of that ... as I am looking at going 3.7's for my ute.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

yes the car is an auto... how much is the estimated costs of getting the shift points adjusted. Also where would i need to go to get this done, anywhere in sydney?
Old 25-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Anyone who does the CAPA Ford Flash can do this for you. The dealers are on the CAPA website. Sounds like you don't have a flash box yet. Check the deals in the site sponsors' forum, you should get a flash box for $495 plus postage with generic tunes. Don't pay $795 or $995 for it.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is one going cheaper. unlocked and ready to go http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11206871
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so is purchasing the flash box and plugging it in all i need to do. Or do i have to buy it then go get it tuned to suit my car.

Also has anyone here changed diff ratios and know for sure weather the shift patterns need to be adjusted or if its just a speedo issue as some people have been telling me the shifts are controlled by the cars revs not speed and diff change wont affect the shift points.

however no one has been able to give me a definite answer, not even the diff place
Old 25-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr62nv
so is purchasing the flash box and plugging it in all i need to do. Or do i have to buy it then go get it tuned to suit my car.

Also has anyone here changed diff ratios and know for sure weather the shift patterns need to be adjusted or if its just a speedo issue as some people have been telling me the shifts are controlled by the cars revs not speed and diff change wont affect the shift points.

however no one has been able to give me a definite answer, not even the diff place
you need to get it setup for what you have and yes it does have to be done as the ECU looks at RPM and speed to detemine the shift points change the diff and it gets confused. i put a 3.45 in min and the shifts were a bit weird till I put an XR6 ECU in which expects to see a 3.45
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Since you have an Auto (I do), you can change the speedo transducer(?) gear to suit
Enter the relevant information into this calculator
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=30

As for the location of the gear from memory it's an 8 or 10mm bolt holding the transducer in on the rear drivers side of the transmission, a little patience is all it took to get it out. use the calc and replace the gear. My car went from 3.08 to 3.45's and the speedo is spot on.
I am not sure if it will allow for going down to 3.9's which is not a factory gearing. In this case, you can go to some auto elec/car stereo place and there is an electronic speedo correction unit you can buy. It was a little too expensive and complicated for me since i could just change gears, but see how you go

I don't think the flash tuner will be able to adjust the actual speedo, but I do know it can (and should) be used to change the trans shift points. The other boys are right, the gears change relative to speed, not rpm.

https://****boxrally2015.everydayher.../martini-rally

Ford Courier XLT Crew Cab, 160rwkW+ AUII Forte Family Sedan is now the Race Car!!!
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post