Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GM Uses Ford Body For New Car !!!

Chevy chases Ford
Graham Smith
18nov05

A wildly wicked Chevrolet, actually built from a Ford, has given a much-needed spark to General Motors in the US.

The world's biggest carmaker is facing huge losses and falling sales, but that hasn't stopped it aiming for the spotlight at the giant SEMA after-market car show in Las Vegas.
Chevy was happy to follow Ford's lead and created the Bowtie Deuce - a move as outrageous as, say, Holden taking a Falcon GT, changing the stripes and rebadging it with the red lion as its own interpretation of the iconic Aussie muscle car.

The special Chevy paid homage to the 1932 Ford, the vehicle that has come to define the American hot rod.

It was actually built by a group of craftsmen who work for American television star Jay Leno.

Ford has dominated the hot rod scene in the US, thanks to the 1930s originals shaped into all-American muscle cars, many home-built specials with modern engines and running gear.

So Chevrolet effectively went with the flow by using a classic '32 Ford roadster body as the core of the Bowtie Deuce.

"Sure, it's a 32 Ford, but we've added a Chevy front, used a Chevy powertrain, and styled its interior like the original Corvette," says one member of the Bowtie Deuce team.

Even so, it was still a '32 Ford and sitting in the middle of the General Motors stand at one of the world's biggest car shows.

Leno's team - which looks after his huge collection of cars in LA - built the SEMA car with help from staff at the GM Performance and GM Performance Parts divisions. It will join the 80-plus cars - and a jet-engined motorcycle - that the Tonight Show host already owns.

The Bowtie Deuce hot rod began with a steel reproduction '32 Ford roadster body, but the Chevrolet involvement came early. The body is perched on a 1932 Chevy frame and was given the grille and bonnet from a '34 Chevy to create the exterior impression of a Chevy roadster hot rod - at least when viewed from the front.

Underneath the retro skin is a souped-up 450kW 7.0-litre LS2 V8 from a 2006 Corvette, which has been mated to a Tremec T56 six-speed manual gearbox from a Chevy SSR pickup. The final drive goes through a Getrag differential lifted from a Cadillac CTS-V.

Custom independent front suspension is used along with a rear end from a 2005 C6 Corvette and disc brakes lifted from a Cadillac CTS-V.

The result is a clean and tidy interpretation of the all-time classic hot rod, but the use of a Ford body means it will forever be seen as an admission that General Motors is a bit player in a hobby owned by its rival.

Herald Sun

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

What a compliment!! GM FINALLY realises how good Fords are!!! :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

It's blasphemy!!!
Old 23-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I just don't know what to think about that... 32 Fords are cool, retrotech is cool, Chevy drivetrains are cool, big car companies doing customs is cool... That car is exceptionally uncool.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I just don't know what to think about that... 32 Fords are cool, retrotech is cool, Chevy drivetrains are cool, big car companies doing customs is cool... That car is exceptionally uncool.
Can't disagree with any of those comments. I love the car, but, I think that if they can't build a decent car, it's their own bloody fault.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Bill Ford selling the plans and blueprints for the Edsel to GM was a slick piece of corporate dealing.

He first offered the design ideas from the Zephyr but these were found to be almost identical in design to the VS Commodore so no sale was made for these.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i guess its GMs way of saying, if you cant beat em, join em
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i think its a cool lookin roddy
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not bad, but a quad cam version would be better.
Old 23-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Read that last week. Had a smirk on my face as I was reading it.

GM US announced yesterday 30'000 jobs to be cut in North America. Not good news at all.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Default Wrong tense

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
What a compliment!! GM FINALLY realises how good Fords are!!! :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_

I think you mean were. unless you are saying Ford hasn't moved past 1932.

You could also view it as a slap in the face, GM took the best thing Ford has produced and showed that by applying bits from the GM parts bin it could be improved to be almost as good as a GM product. ing_sm
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
myxr6
Banned

Most of the rods I have seen have chev engines in them anyway.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #13
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I like the look of it, but as I said with the awful Holden concept.... stop living in the past goddamnit!

Seems now days companies are building cars for the hell of it for no real purpose
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BadMac. Diesel and Turbo Territories are coming. Tom O'Gorman said this week "We are already looking at ways to expand the Territory brand with new powertrains, like diesel and turbo."
Old 24-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
flavze

Love it, have to agree with Greenmachine word for word on that one!
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post