Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best and worst car brands

Best and worst car brands
22 November 2006

Robert Wilson

AUSTRALIAN car-makers are among the industry's worst regarded brands, taking three of the bottom four spots in a customer satisfaction survey.

Holden and Mitsubishi came equal 11th and Ford came 12th out of 13 makers ranked in a Melbourne Business School survey released last week. Toyota was the top ranked local maker, at sixth.

The results painted "a very gloomy picture of the future of the local industry" said the survey's director, Melbourne Business School associate professor Mark Ritson.

He said local brands were being crippled by negative word-of-mouth and lagged far behind the prestige of German and Japanese makers. "The picture is of declining brands that are no longer generating enthusiasm in the majority of their customers," he said.

The survey, which measured how many owners would recommend the car they owned to friends, had proven to be an accurate predictor of future business performance, Mr Ritson said.

"By dividing people into brand detractors and promoters it reveals which brands have potential to grow. The major lesson that comes out is that if you allow a significant number of brand detractors to develop, your brand is in trouble," he said.

"When the majority of customers for a business are either passive or detractors it means the business gets very little customer advocacy, repeat sales or increased growth over the long term. The reason is because detractors spread more than 80 per cent of the word-of-mouth on a brand."

The survey found Mitsubishi, Holden and Ford all had more brand detractors than promoters, while Toyota was narrowly positive. "Based on our results, the conclusion has to be that Toyota has the best long-term growth prospects — indeed it is the only Australian maker with positive long-term prospects," Mr Ritson said.

The survey asked 2000 people one question: "How likely is it that you would recommend this company to a friend or colleague?" Subtracting negative from positive responses produced overall net promoter scores.

GM Holden spokesman Jason Laird said Holden scored consistently strongly in surveys among potential buyers. "Our intention-to-purchase results are consistently higher than for the overall market and that is borne out in sales data," he said. "While it would be nice to top every survey that comes out, the crux of the matter is we have had the country's top-selling car for the past decade."

Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary said the company would adopt the net promoter method for its own internal dealer surveys next year. "While we don't necessarily agree with the results of the survey, we do recognise a need to know more about our customers and improve the rate of referrals," she said.

The method had been used in the US for several years and had been adopted in British Ford dealerships this year.

Mitsubishi spokesman Kevin Taylor said the company accepted the need to continually improve customer service. "There's more we can do and it's our intention to increase the amount of customer interaction with our new vehicle owners in a program that we'll be starting next year," he said.

Mr Ritson said makers who responded to brand crises with conventional marketing tactics would not change long-term negative perceptions and could worsen their situation.

"There's a pressure in the automotive sector to discount, rebate and bundle, which is seen as offering more value," he said. "The lesson of this research is that such a tactic creates bad profits. It might shore up cashflow, but it attracts customers to a brand who buy because it's cheap. But when it doesn't meet their expectations, they end up spreading negative word of mouth about it, further hurting the brand."

The survey did not establish how old respondents' cars were, whether they were bought new or used, whether they were dealer-serviced or whether they were privately owned or company vehicles.

But Mr Ritson defended the survey method.

"This is frustrating research because it tells us nothing about why brands are going in certain directions. But it predicts with extreme rigour what to expect for brands, based on their scores," he said.

Net promoter scores collected overseas appeared to show a remarkably clear correlation with business growth, he said.

Leading the table were the German makers. BMW was top with a net promoter score of 59 per cent, Audi came second on 47 per cent, Volkswagen third on 45 per cent and Mercedes-Benz fourth on 39 per cent.

Results from owners of Lexus, Volvo and several other brands were not included in the results due to small sample sizes.

BRAND SATISFACTION RATINGS BY AUSTRALIANS

1. BMW: 59 per cent

2. Volkswagen: 47 per cent

3. Audi: 45 per cent

4. Mercedes: 39 per cent

5. Subaru: 37 per cent

6. Toyota: 13 per cent

7. Mazda: 12 per cent

8. Honda: 2 per cent

9. Nissan: -5 per cent

10. Hyundai: -9 per cent

11. Mitsubishi: -16 per cent

11. Holden: -16 per cent

12. Ford: -25 per cent

13. Saab: -47 per cent

Source: Melbourne Business School

The Australian

DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

I love it when statistics agree with what I say. German cars > Japanese.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Me to. Mitsubishi > Ford (in terms of customer satisfaction)
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Me to. Mitsubishi > Ford (in terms of customer satisfaction)
Not surprised. With the kind of service Ford offers their customers, it could turn people off any otherwise good car. :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

No repeat bussiness here in Australia just rip people once .I have found that minority car companies here in Oz treat people better eg bmw jeep etc .Ford holden etc have had it too good for to long and have forgotten what service is Monopoly for to long.
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony xa
No repeat bussiness here in Australia just rip people once .I have found that minority car companies here in Oz treat people better eg bmw jeep etc .Ford holden etc have had it too good for to long and have forgotten what service is Monopoly for to long.
Ive never owned a German brand car for example so I cant comment directly on the service but id expect to be good. I owned a Mitsubishi Lancer (2001) b4 my current car & there dealer service was great both sales & service (Southland Mitsubishi). It may also have alot to do with the dealer (As Adrien Brain Ford St Mary's where I bought my car from the sales service was great (funny that) the service dept was cropola. Having said that there (small service only dept at Keswick are EXCELLENT). If id only every dealt with Adrien Brian Sales (St Marys) & Adrien Brian Service (Keswick) I would have always thought the sun shinned.
So the dealer has alot to do with how you view there service in relation to the Brand. Most people I think now that dealers are franchised & you are not dealing with the manufacturea direct. But the dealer is representing that said Manufacturea. So it only takes a couple times of bad service from that Franchise to potentially put people of that Brand.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8

12. Ford: -25 per cent

Source: Melbourne Business School

The Australian
How can a negative pecentage possible?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a nett promoter score; percentage of those people who are positive less the percentage that are negative; if you have more negatives than positive then -percentage.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony xa
No repeat bussiness here in Australia just rip people once
Spot on there Tony........and not only relating to car manufacturers but unfortunately in pretty much all other areas as well, whether it be product or service related, Australian businesses cannot see any further than the end of their own noses,........ "rip em off and rip em off good", that's their motto.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

It would be fair to assume that that survey was not conducted down at the local but perhaps closer to the latte and wino INNER CITY sippers.
Old 25-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Lagom

You can find the full research report here.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
MarkAW

Bullshit statistics!

You cant gain a reasonable cross section of the community from asking only 2000 people one single question.

Firstly if this was conducted at say a shopping mall, how many people were interviewed who actually don't drive a car nor take part in the arrangement for servicing. Were these people taken out of the survey - bet they weren't.

How many people have actually sat inside the vast majority of these cars and noted the difference between them. Were those that haven't also eliminated from the survey - suspect they weren't.

How many shopping malls were surveyed so as to get high medium and low income earners. How many were from country or regional areas.

Most people have an expectation that a Beamer or Merc is far better, mostly based on price or heresay and probably less than 1% on fact.

This is crap survey people, the sort of stuff you can expect to see on ACA or Today Tonight.

To prove a point:
My partner once owned a 1970's nissan ute which developed a large amount of rust either through poor maintenance or heavy use or both. These days Noeleen has stated emphatically that she would never own another nissan "cause they are all rust buckets". She not the only one in Aus with attitudes like this - once bitten never forgotten
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
and just about everyone did better than ford. those german cars are also a lot more expensive than most japanese cars.

barnacaus, they didnt say how they obtained their respondents...they may well have gone to all the inner city cafes and asked people there. what they really need is a survey that contains a proprotional representation of every group...young, old, city, country etc. the fact that there are fewer bmw, audi and even volkswagens on the road means that the results were probably skewed a bit for thsoe brands. however, the results do tell the local manufacturers to lift their game. you only have to look at a lot of the posts on these pages to see how dissatisfed ford fans are becoming with the brand they love.

i know ford SAY they have no control over their dealers, but it is time they started to do something. if they get continual complaints about a certain dealership, then ford need to flex some muscle and do something. at worst, they need to scratch the dealer off their list. if the problem is with the cars, then ford need to listen and do something, instead of employing a spokesman to talk bullsh!t to the media with statements like 'it is something we at ford are very concerned about and will be implementing solutions in the near future'. sales are falling, petrol isnt getting cheaper and the brand image is taking a battering. relying on fleet sales is a tactic that is also going to go belly-up. ford, holden and mitsubishi need to lift their game and do it soon. otherwise the only local manufacturer left will be toyota and all we will have left to get excited about will be corollas and aurions.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Firstly if this was conducted at say a shopping mall, how many people were interviewed who actually don't drive a car nor take part in the arrangement for servicing. Were these people taken out of the survey - bet they weren't.

How many people have actually sat inside the vast majority of these cars and noted the difference between them. Were those that haven't also eliminated from the survey - suspect they weren't.
I have my reservations about the sampling, but to be fair, note this from the actual paper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net Promoter Scores 2006
Consumers were selected at random and
interviewed about products and services that they had recently purchased or were currently consuming.
Old 25-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
MarkAW

Lagom

I'm not having a go but just look at that statement from the report it could mean as much as "I own and drive a car at the moment".

Further they interviewed these people on a range of products, not just the single question of vehicle type.

In closing, people have a relationship to their vehicles from the "I just use it to get from A to B" to those that can be extremely passionate or bias such as many of the members of this forum. It is a car forum you know But in virtually all cases the majority won't disagree with their most recent purchase to show themselves as fools which then has a bearing on the bias of the survey.

The Caffe-Latte group at Bondi who all own Mercs BMers and Honda's aren't going to advise against their own brand but would certainly look down on Fords & Holdens as being below them.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but the way you put it across is that Japanese cars are the coming of Satan.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #17
Lagom

Quote:
Lagom

I'm not having a go but just look at that statement from the report it could mean as much as "I own and drive a car at the moment".

Further they interviewed these people on a range of products, not just the single question of vehicle type.

In closing, people have a relationship to their vehicles from the "I just use it to get from A to B" to those that can be extremely passionate or bias such as many of the members of this forum. It is a car forum you know But in virtually all cases the majority won't disagree with their most recent purchase to show themselves as fools which then has a bearing on the bias of the survey.

The Caffe-Latte group at Bondi who all own Mercs BMers and Honda's aren't going to advise against their own brand but would certainly look down on Fords & Holdens as being below them.
Not discounting that, as I said, I have reservations with the sampling (especially the lack of detail on sampling). Post purchase rationalisation could well have a role to play, but as the detail on methodology is so limit, it's hard to make a firm judgement there.

If the poor showing gets Ford to lift its game, that's only a good thing.

To me, it basically seems to indicate an overall level of brand aspiration and Ford needs to work on that. As tariffs continue to fall and imported product becomes more attainable and attractive to the hip pocket among other things, Ford and other local manufacturers need to further improve in order to sustain their local production viability.
Old 25-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Statistics are wonderful things and are never affected by agenda....

In Australia in 2006 a new high speed wireless internet system was deployed all over the country.
In Australia in 2006 the price of bananas has gone up to over 5 times thier usual price.

Q1 Are you upgrading your phone? yes/no
Q2 Do you buy still bananas? yes/no

Results:

81% of people who have updated to nextG no longer buy bananas......

Therefore nextg should be shut down to save the banana industry....

Lies, damned lies and statistics......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Lagom

100% agreed. Plus the offices of this paper are in Surrey Hills and is just a leisurely 10 minute drive to Bondi in the (I'm a multi millionaire with a $55,000) 318.
Eastern Sydney ******* are the worst kind because they actually believe people care what they think, and they represent the whole of the "Versace wannabe culture".
I got in to a heated arguement in December 2001 with a poof and his friends at a cafe on campbell parade in Bondi beach when I was waiting for a certain American trash show host celebrity. I was driving a stretched black AU2 at the time, here is how the conversation went.

poof: get that shitbox ford out of there.
Me: What did you say?
poof: get that shitbox ford out of there; no fords are allowed to park here.
Me: What, do you want me to slap you in front of your girlfriends? This car costs 150 grand new, what do you drive a 3 year old 318?
poof: yeah so what.
Me: the shitty, 14 grand poormans BMW, based on a 20 year old floorpan that buckles whenever taken over a speed hump too hard, and has a massively powerful 4 cylinder engine?
poof: It doesn't buckle
Me: Then drive it over a speed hump at 50k's then.
poof: No
Me: because you're worried it will buckle
poof: No I'm not.
Me: Yes you are
poof: How do you know, I've never heard of it before.
Me: I work in the car industry, you hear things, you see things, and you see the results. BMW's, are one of the cheapest, slapped together China built pieces of crap out there.

By this stage his attitude had changed from being cocky to being a little worried. I proffered that he check it out on the web and he'll see examples of it. He then started the usual crap of; "I don't like fords but yours is really nice".

Anyways, I own an S class (result of a huge contract and a large profit in one financial year, needed to find a way to reduce tax liability) and can tell you that it has had the stupidest stuff ups, and if there is an intermittent fault, you can forget about it being found for the first 6 visits. The best way I can summarise the difference between ford/holden and mercedes/bmw service is;
Ford/Holden will tell you they couldn't find the problem
Mercedes/BMW tell you that the problem wouldn't show up, in a big poofy emo way.

Quote: