Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Angry WS engine hesitation issue

Driving the Zetec lately giving the XR6 a rest I have noticed a rather serious problem. Leaving the driveway in the morning with a short shift into 2nd (2000rpm) then giving the go pedal half throttle, it goes nowhere like some gay traction control has cut spark and fuel. You have to lift the throttle and then re apply to get going again but even that has sometimes failed. I have found it has only happened when engine is cold. Very scary when your pulling into traffic and then the pri(k dies in the ***.

Has this happened to you?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25

As per the thread above, you'll find there are a few of us (myself included) that have experienced what you describe. My Fiesta hasn't done it since.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Thanks for that, Ill keep an eye on it and mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its 15k service.

Maybe its a combination of homo air intake, exhaust and sub 4000rpm tune....
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we had our 15k service and my missus says it still does it every now and then on a cold morning...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Don't labour the engine

Simple
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Don't labour the engine. Simple
See, while we're all refreshed and challenged from your unique point of view, the issue is a little more complicated than that. VegaBass and I may have our differences, but I've experienced this, as have countless other members here and overseas, so it's a legit issue. The problem is the engine almost stalls in motion when pressing the gas, nothing happens. After a few seconds it then starts to rev again. It's an issue as outlined that can catch you by suprise. If you'd bothered to read the link I'd attached you'd see it's nothing to do with labouring the engine, infact it's the ability to not rev the car that's the issue. But I'm sure none of us will labour the engine if this happens again, thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Mate, Canberra's getting colder and a cold engine...
Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
Omgshane
Starter Motor

i had that problem when i was running 91ron fuel, it would be a dog in the morning, but as soon as i started to put 95 back in it runs perfect on cold mornings.
Omgshane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
trento
Audiophile

I've started noticing the same thing since my baby has been moved to the carport, almost stall it every morning!!!! I've found if you just let the car idle for a minute it seems to help but it is obviously a problem with the engine system as my old WP had similar issues.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
doctamick

I posted about this ‘hesitation’ issue on my WS Zetec in July last year, and now that the cold weather is back (and despite an ECU update during the 30k service), the problem is still there. If you are not aware of it, it definitely could be dangerous, as there is zero acceleration. I find that the best way to get through the hesitation is to push the clutch in and give it a little more revs.

It is definitely not a labouring issue, as it has happened to me in first gear as well. But I notice that it only really occurs during the first take off when the engine is dead cold and the outside temperature is below 10 degrees, so it’s most likely due to the cold start (fuel enrichment) setup. It occurs at fairly low revs, because if I ride the clutch just a little on that first take off, I can circumvent the problem. My wife also drives the car regularly, but has not experienced the problem, possibly due to the fact that she may give it a little more revs on take off and through first gear.

BTW... I use 95/98 ULP from many different servos, so I don’t think my problem is related to petrol quality.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Yes Canberra is getting cold (freaking freezing) but you wouldn't expect a car made in Germany to suffer from cold related issues. After reading some responses and yes dannyhilton and I don't always share the same view but he has probably explained the issue better than I. However I was thinking it could be a fuel pressure issue on cold start up? It might have enough pressure for the initial light 1st gear load but hit second with half throttle and there isn't enough fuel available, the ecu ************** the timing, low air flow and that would be enough for a dieing in the *** effect.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I think AFF swear filter is a beyond a joke! cant even say R E T A R D !

******** = r e t a r d s
Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
doctamick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
******** = r e t a r d s
haha... that's freakin' hilarious!

I'm not sure if it's fuel pressure related, because giving it a little more revs definitely avoids the problem for me.

I would say that the cold start map is a little off. But, as you say vegabass, that doesn't make sense considering the temperatures experienced in Europe.

The problem is that I can't show the problem to the dealer, unless I go to the effort of leaving the car their overnight. Anyway, I'm not too worried, because I'm aware of the issue and can avoid it without much effort.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I've jinxed myself here, and I kid you not, it happened to me at lunch time. I'm not sure what the issue is, but the last few mornings this has not happened to me despite being freezing. In saying that every morning the car sits for at least 30 seconds in idle, at lunch time I drove straight away. The issue seems to happen within 100m from where you take off, if that helps anyone identify it.

This morning and most of today here in Toowoomba has been chilly. Not sure what it is, but it's definitely related to cold weather and not letting the engine sit for a while after being started. I have never once had this in my FG Falcon...
Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I just had a rant in the site support forum about the swear filter. Its gay as aids.

Not being a mechanic and all I'm just throwing ideas up in the air. Revs would certainly help the fuel pressure as it would increase the vac to the fuel reg and there fore have enough fuel. I'm just speculating that maybe the priming time of the fuel pump is not long enough to build pressure in time for driving load. But after the first 100 meters or warm up idle time would be enough for it to have full fuel available.

Either I'm smart and should be PM or dumb as dog (well swear filter works again) and proof that mothers should eat their young.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say its probably doing the opposite....
Sounds more like its flooding, with these tougher emission laws alot of it is based on cold start emissions, and getting the car up to running temperature as quick as possible.

Considering most of Europe would be running Diesel Fiestas its probably not a big issue over there.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Fez WQ

Yep mine does it do, its like it runs low on fuel, Like and old carbie engine without choke on when its cold.......

Oh well not that bad really, I fine you just need to wait 30 seconds before you take off and then its fine

I have a WS LX 5 Door 2009 with 9000kms
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I always let it idle for five minutes or so every morning, to let it get up to operating temperature. I do have a lock-up garage though, so I know it won't get pinched.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post