Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default STI 04 or BA XR8Opinions & Facts Please

Hey all,

Has any one got any useful info/opinions on the above, Im thinking of buying one of the above to but not too sure. I like the sti because it Jap made, quick and easily modifiable but also like the idea of a V8.

Has any one owned both of these cars of similar

cheers

Old 05-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a really, really hard decision!!

Good luck with it! I'm not offering an opinion 'cause I can't decide :P
Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

well mate what sort of driving do you do, are you a person that likes to take corners at high speeds or you someone that loves the grunt and power of a v8?

personally i'd take the sti, simply because i love windy roads and the sti is great for that stuff and its got the power there as well plus the 4wd helps to.
Old mate up the coast has an sti and he seems to be able to stay infront of the 8's on the highway(only until she signs off at 235) above that the v8's have it all over the lil sti.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends completley on your personal circumstances.

Do you have kids - Yes XR8, No Sti

Do you do long or mostly short trips - Long = XR8, Short = Sti.

The list goes on...

PS - If your looking at the Sti then why not the XR6T?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Depends completley on your personal circumstances.

Do you have kids - Yes XR8, No Sti

Do you do long or mostly short trips - Long = XR8, Short = Sti.

The list goes on...

PS - If your looking at the Sti then why not the XR6T?
good points, if you have kids i wouldn't go the sti but like merlin said what about the xr6T?

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 05-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

I'd personally go for the XR8. But, of course, I'm very biased. And its just as easily modifyable, actually, more so.. then the STi. Plus there's the fact that the STi rides as if you're sitting on a plank of wood. I'm not sure it'd be the best kind of car to have as a daily driver.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Throws spanner into works:

Typhoon + Mods! Typhoon + Mods! <explodes>
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
madmatty
dipstick

i have a ba xr8 and my brother has 03 sti
both nice cars.sti a bit quicker in most situations
xr8 heaps more comfortable and more space
check the insurance prices (could be around 3 grand for the sti)and i would stick with the ford,its also a bit cheaper i think.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm XR8.... If your into touring around then the XR8 is going to be the better more comfortible ride, if your buying it for solely performance reasons then the STI.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
well mate what sort of driving do you do, are you a person that likes to take corners at high speeds or you someone that loves the grunt and power of a v8?

personally i'd take the sti, simply because i love windy roads and the sti is great for that stuff and its got the power there as well plus the 4wd helps to.
Good call.

But to be honest i get a great thrill in throwing the V8 around the odd windy road. The STi would obviously be quicker around there but there's certainly no lack of excitement muscling a big sedan through there....

Never been in an Sti but was taken for a ride in a late 90s wrx a while back... its unbelievable how well those things stick to the road. Approaching a 90degree bend and I thought "we're gonners"... and the thing just stuck like glue. Crazy.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
sbcb
BA Xr8

8, 8, or consider an 8.

Hope this helps.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #12
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good point regarding the comfort issue - I actaully dont drive long distances or anything like that.

Not sure about the XR6T/Tyhpoon if I was going to get another big sedan it would be the XR8 or the GT...

Thanks for the help - any one else driven an STI who has an opionion

cheers
Old 05-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
PXR
Starter Motor

A very tough decision, I wish I had such a problem again. I'm currently an owner of a std 2001 WRx not sti. Having owned an EF xr8 then a short trip to the darkest side "a Gen III Vx" . Point to point the STI Will be quicker. But the V8 has more grunt, the Sti will involve more stiring of the gearbox (Short ratio 6sp). Wet days I still drive around trying to work out why everyone is going so slow the Wrx Sticks so well; Then a XR6t or XR8 comes out of a side street sideways and I remember, I must admit with some fondness. The Big car will travel smoother (cruisier) and more relaxed. The falcon is heaps less likely to be pulled over for a minor offence, read no such thing as "random" breath test, I've had a policeman cross three lanes of a major highway to flag me in one night. The WRX club network is excellent with heaps of organised activities (I'm NSW but QLD club also has good history). Totally different to drive characteristics at the limit. Lift Off oversteer is interesting.:-))
I still miss the eights dottering in traffic then just push on the loud peddal. But I don't drive an STI. The WRX is down 1-2 gears then blow them away. Insurance hates us all but check your situation.
Fuel driven to kill an eight = Six fuel, driven to preserve licence = better than 4 cyl. Modded V8 killer = V8 fuel. I don't soft but use 9-10l/100km consistantly, but it MUST be Premium preferably 98. Probably no help to you but my observations. Ps I really miss the fold down seats of the EF and my next Wrx will prob be the hatch or a "Rapid" (Yellow) GT-P 'coon
PXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks pxr good info
Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #15
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

WRX STi Manual
Dimensions and Weight
Min. ground clearance* mm 155
Overall height mm 1440
Overall length mm 4415
Overall width mm 1740
Tread front mm 1490
Tread rear mm 1495
Wheel base mm 2540
Unladen mass kg 1475
Engine
Type Turbocharged, horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder, 16 valve, multi-point injected DOHC with AVCS
Fuel tank capacity litres 60
Fuel system Multi-point sequential injection
Displacement l/cc 2.0/1994
Compression ratio 8.0:1
Bore x stroke mm 92.0 x 75.0
Min. Fuel octane rating requirement RON ULP 98
Performance
Max. output (DIN) kW/rpm 195/6000
Max. torque (DIN) Nm/rpm 343/4000
Max. speed (in top gear) km/h 235 (Limited)
0-100 Km/h secs 5.5
Fuel Consumption (ADR81/01) ** 11.5
Transaxle
Final reduction gear ratio 3.900
Gear ratio 1st 3.636
Gear ratio 2nd 2.375
Gear ratio 3rd 1.761
Gear ratio 4th 1.346
Gear ratio 5th 1.062
Gear ratio 6th 0.842
Gear ratio Rev. 3.545
Transmission type Manual
Chassis
Steering Power assisted engine speed-sensitive rack and pinion
Suspension front MacPherson strut type, independent, coil spring, inverted strut
Suspension rear Multi-link strut type, independent, coil spring, inverted strut
Min. turning circle (at tyre) m 11.6
Brakes rear Vacuum assisted ventilated disc brakes - 316mm
Brakes (Brembo calipers) front Vacuum assisted ventilated discs - 326mm
Tyres (Bridgestone Potenza RE070) 225/45 R17 90W
Towing
With brakes kg 900
Without brakes kg 500

Price: about 60k

there you go just some stats on the STI, don't think you need the ones on the xr8. if you do i'll round them up to.

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 05-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
madmatty
dipstick

The last two sti have awful fuel consumption when pushed hard and the gearing is designed to keep it on boost all the time.110kph=3000rpm.also the ride is very firmand the keypad security is very annoying especialy highjack mode.ie if you open the drivers door while the motors running it will shut off the engine after about 60 seconds.
but it is a blast to drive,oh and the stereo and speakers are rubbish to.and the water spray is disstracting when driving hard.
bottom line is do you want a weekend racer (sti)or a full size sedan with gruntand that wonderful noise?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #17
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

The XR8 will sound better, have much more room, ride better, have a vastly better interior, be cheaper to insure, and keep the lop-sided members of this forum happy.

The STi will go harder, corner quicker, stop better, age better, be worth more 2nd hand, but cost (much) more to insure. They do definitely ride a lot harder but it's a case of if you are prepared to compromise on more practical things in the name of out and out performance, then this is your choice.

By the way, have you considered the Liberty GT or Liberty 3.0 R-B? I'd take one of these over either the XR8 or the STi. They offer a solid middle ground that neither XR8 nor STi can match in terms of a balance of performance, luxury, BUILD QUALITY, resale, and safety.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #18
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle

By the way, have you considered the Liberty GT or Liberty 3.0 R-B? I'd take one of these over either the XR8 or the STi. They offer a solid middle ground that neither XR8 nor STi can match in terms of a balance of performance, luxury, BUILD QUALITY, resale, and safety.
A man after my own heart!

I'd take the Liberty GT over both the STi and XR8 as well.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
A man after my own heart!

I'd take the Liberty GT over both the STi and XR8 as well.
I would got Liberty GT aswell. Then Sti and XR8.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #20
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

For the price of the STi you could put yourself behind the seat of either a Typhoon or a GT Falcon.

To answer the question, I'd take an STi over an XR8, but not over a GT. And no, I wouldn't take a normal 'rex' over a XR8.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #21
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

I'd bypass the STI and go for an EVO 8 or the new EVO 9 when it comes out in october (EVO9 will have 220kws and be the same price as a STI.)

But then again a 6speed XR8 will be a better family/cruising vehicle. At the end of the day ya have to weigh up want ya want from the cars.

This a pic of an EVO 9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lancer Evo 9.jpg (134.7 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by zoomie; 05-07-2005 at 08:22 PM.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #22
Red MY01

Its only the Jap Spec EVO that gets the 220kW i'm pretty sure. We stay with the 195kW.

If its driving experience your after then go for the STi, if you're looking for a cruiser with go then go for the XR8. Personally i would try to get an MY05 STi (Aug 04 onwards) they come with the DCCD.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #23
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftr_el
Hey all,

Has any one owned both of these cars of similar

cheers
Before I bought my SS ute & now BA XR8, I had the WRX.
In my opinion, the Subaru was the best value for money between any car I have owned, when It came to performance. Since early 90's, I've had new V6's, V8's, 4x4s, sedans and utes...etc, etc.
The wrx had better brakes even after a flogging comparred to the others, handled heaps better on tight roads (as in cornering/braking/acceleration), great road ability and safer in the wet, more usable power in most rev ranges than the bigger 8s. The car was a great all rounder and nice package!!!! The STI as you know, is a step above the WRX, so if I had one of these for the 40,00klm's I had the WRX, the same would of applied, a few points maybe increase.

Having said that, I wouldn't own one again. Most places won't insure the WRX, let alone a STI. Yes some do, but you will be looking into the thousands. A few years of paying a premium like that, you soon might change your mind. Then to sell the car is much harder, as people tend not to buy this car if they can't get insurance, and a lot won't.
The seats are comfortable, but sit in then for a few hours, and you will definately change your mind, compared to the BA XR8! The boots are way too small, and the car is definately not designed for any more than two people. Get the BA up and singing, and the power delivery is better than the Subaru. For an overall car package, taking everything into consideration, I would personnaly go for the BA XR8................but thats just me!!!

Regards

AGRO.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #24
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MY01
Its only the Jap Spec EVO that gets the 220kW i'm pretty sure. We stay with the 195kW.

If its driving experience your after then go for the STi, if you're looking for a cruiser with go then go for the XR8. Personally i would try to get an MY05 STi (Aug 04 onwards) they come with the DCCD.
The current EVO 8 that we get has only 195kws and is limited to 100 cars for 2004 and 100 cars for 2005. They are euro spec vehicles, that is why they are power limited and have 5 speed gearboxes.
The EVO 9 is going to be a full time part of the lancer range we will be getting the full jap spec - 220kw's, 6 speed gearboxes and a price reduction to the same price as the STI.
The only STI to get near the abilitys of an EVO 8 is the MY05 model, even then the EVO is still the better drivers car and the EVO 9 is even better again.

Still id personally go the XR8, due to cheaper insurance, more room etc etc. But its ultimately up to the buyer what they choose.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #25
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Mate l drove last years model STi adn was happy with the way it drove but not for the price they wanted as was going to trade the XR8 l am so glad l didn't as l rip them at every set of lights and around corners so the XR8 is the way to go..
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
I'm going to 4'th that! Had a look at the new Liberty's last night - it is indeed a superb balance of all the above and looks great as well, Subaru have made almost the perfect car (for me).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #27
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Currently owning a stock GT(auto), and having a mate with a modded STi, I'd sum it up with his comments after driving the GT " mine would still beat it, but I liked the feeling of the GT. In the STi I'm king of the kids "
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #28
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
l rip them at every set of lights and around corners so the XR8 is the way to go..
LOL im sure you do _

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 06-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #29
madmatty
dipstick

the liberty gt is a good compromise but they are a bit to expensive they blend into the traffic and have lag down low.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen the Liberty GTs take off and they are by know means slow. Definately would get one if i had the money.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote