Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are expensive cars worth it

I get to travel a lot and drive some pretty sweet rides. I also love cars (grew up reading car mags and working on cars) and I love driving fast.

Last week it was a new Mercedes S class for a few days and I have driven most brands of cars (not including hyper cars) - the flash stuff is mainly when overseas.

What got me thinking was that really, the new S class didn't do much more for me than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Then an even worse realisation was that i probably enjoyed driving the Mazda bravo turbo diesel that I had the week before more than the Merc.

How can that be you may ask. Well with the bravo, I'd shoot down to the beach (i was in Perth) after work and go for a run and a swim, not have to worry about sitting in it with wet boardies. cruise along with the crappy stereo on oldies FM (no bluetooth for pandora). No one gave me a second look, I never got frustrated with slow drivers (be cause i was one) and because the car in general was pretty ordinary, I couldn't focus on any one annoying thing (the aircon worked so I was in heaven).

So all that got me thinking, did i need to spend 65k on my Jeep and I am sure as sheet that i wouldnt never need to spend 250k+ on an S class.

Then i started thinking that in reality your not paying for the features/performance of the car, you are paying to have a better car than every one else. Let me explain. When sultan of bruni paid 300k for his merc back in the 80's (hypothetically) that was probably worse in every way than a current model calais, was he happy with it? He probably was, which meant that he should be just as happy with a current model Calais. But i bet he wouldnt be. And I think its the same with US normal folk. We get caught up thinking we need the next model (Ipad, car, house) but in reality these things dont really make us happy.

In my case, the ability to go to the beach for a run and swim after work was what made my day, and the drive in the bravo was part of that so I enjoyed it. I didnt see many Merc's or BMW's in the beach car park at 5:15pm - most were sheet boxes. Read in to that what you will.

My Ute is a bit different. It is faster than 99.99% of cars in australia and it does put a smile on my dial every time it kicks sideways at 150kmph but it really didnt cost me that much and no where near a GTS or GTR ( or 911 or 458). And as for going around corners - its the same conundrum. Sure your 500k Ferrari feels like it corners on rails but so did a old testarossa back in the day - and at some point in the future your corolla equivalent will go around corners faster than a current 458.

I was just about to start building a house and its the same thing with that - I realised all I use is the bedroom and kitchen. Why do i need a theatre room if I hate watching TV and the closest I would come to using a dining room for a dinner party would be if it was a dress up bucks party. Now a 1000m2 shed - thats something I will enjoy

I might have some thinking to do
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Default Re: Are expensive cars worth it

This will answer your question.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW83nyUuXTI

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Pilko FNQ

Hi Steve,

I agree with your post. My cars have always been purchased in line with what was affordable for me and reliability a big factor. Hence I have never seen the value in buying a new car and used my savings to pay off my house, block of land etc in record time and be debt free. I have however always wanted but could not justify the purchase of a GT Hardtop, LJ GTR XU1, or an old school mustang and spent many hours researching and reading. Now at 42 I have come to a decision that has led me to sign a contract on an FGX XR8. Having worked hard for many years, paid off debt some time ago and saved to pay for the vehicle outright I have my wife's support. She is happy for me to get this somewhat unnecessary and hard to justify vehicle simply because she knows it will put a smile on my face. The friends I have told have been happy for me and instead of being jealous say good on you, after all that waiting and research you have finally done it and it must be the right choice.

While the XR8 is not an over the top expensive vehicle it is still a major purchase for me and due to its nature, not a car I would want to buy second hand so I will pay the premium which I feel is worth it.

Using your logic, I live in Cape York. Can I afford a brand new 200 series twin turbo diesel Landcruiser like a lot of my work colleagues......yes. Would I pay $100k + for a decked out Sahara to flog over dirt roads and get scratched up by sticks or be too afraid to take camping....no way. I'll stick with my 2001 over maintained GXL 100 series TD until the wheels fall off. As long as you are not trying to just keep up with the Jones's, and living within your means new can be justified in my opinion. Cheers Chris.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Live within your means simple.

Expensive cars are great....if you got the cash.

But yeah tings have changed, first home buyers in Sydney complain about house prices, but they all buy a 5 bedroom house with three living rooms, media room, rumpus, parent retreat and a three car garage, fully ducted A/C and ducted Vacuum cleaner. Three new cars, iphones, ipads all round.....mum does not work but will get a rebated child care from Government.

Sorry I got carried away..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who can afford very high ticketed items usually have more than one and often it will be a wide and diverse range to suit various needs and interests within their lives.

A mansion, a beach house, a holiday home, a Rolls Royce, a hyper car, a Bentley, a Range Rover, a classic muscle car, an old Ferrari, a new Ferrari, a house in the city, a house in the hills, a yacht, a cruiser if you get what I mean.

In other words something that is a costly waste of money or an impractical item to one person can be nothing more than just another commodity to someone else.

For most, the further you move up the rich list the less relevant the price becomes.
Old 27-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The majority of people who can afford them wouldn't ask themselves this question. Of course there are some who can afford them, but would prefer to spend it elsewhere too.

Why would anyone work their bum off earning big coin to buy anything average
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
Hi Steve,

I agree with your post. My cars have always been purchased in line with what was affordable for me and reliability a big factor. Hence I have never seen the value in buying a new car and used my savings to pay off my house, block of land etc in record time and be debt free. I have however always wanted but could not justify the purchase of a GT Hardtop, LJ GTR XU1, or an old school mustang and spent many hours researching and reading. Now at 42 I have come to a decision that has led me to sign a contract on an FGX XR8. Having worked hard for many years, paid off debt some time ago and saved to pay for the vehicle outright I have my wife's support. She is happy for me to get this somewhat unnecessary and hard to justify vehicle simply because she knows it will put a smile on my face. The friends I have told have been happy for me and instead of being jealous say good on you, after all that waiting and research you have finally done it and it must be the right choice.

While the XR8 is not an over the top expensive vehicle it is still a major purchase for me and due to its nature, not a car I would want to buy second hand so I will pay the premium which I feel is worth it.

Using your logic, I live in Cape York. Can I afford a brand new 200 series twin turbo diesel Landcruiser like a lot of my work colleagues......yes. Would I pay $100k + for a decked out Sahara to flog over dirt roads and get scratched up by sticks or be too afraid to take camping....no way. I'll stick with my 2001 over maintained GXL 100 series TD until the wheels fall off. As long as you are not trying to just keep up with the Jones's, and living within your means new can be justified in my opinion. Cheers Chris.
A landcruiser is a glorified truck,, Apples with apples..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #8
commonrails

To be honest I just look after myself, I know my income and budget accordingly. I haven't bought a new phone in over four years and even then that wasn't for myself it was an xmas present for the misses (because she was caring on about it). I get my phones as hand-me downs from friends and family as i cannot justify spending that amount of money on a phone. I don't buy designer label clothes, shoes etc either I don't need to impress anyone. I've only ever bought one car new and that a was ford ranger for work purposes in 2009 and a second hand 2011 GT in 2013 to replace the 14yo VT calais. The things I won't skimp on are my meats from the butcher, good quality hand/power tools, cars, car repairs/maintenance and safety.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess that's why you buy things that make YOU happy. S class Merc might make some people happy but I see why many people can find more joy in other vehicles.

I would of loved a V8 LWB sedan, but I got the Ranger because I can throw a couple of muddy bikes in the back, hope in a drive. Having said that, If I didn't ride, I wouldn't own a ute. I could get more personal enjoyment out of other vehicles.

I'm looking at building a house too, but I can't wait to get a theater room. It will be an awesome place to play xbox or watch my favorite shows while the missus is watching whatever crap TV she watches in the main living room. Everyone has different wants and needs.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Things make you happy temporarily happiness needs to be from the inside out. Although a Bentley Continental V8 would make me happier for quite some time I think
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
HULK_I6T
Banned

good value.....NO

a better car......YES

speaking to a mate about his merc amg c63. yes its a great car but is it 20 times the car if a hyundai getz.. NO

high end cars are a status symbol.. its where you want the best and will pay through the nose

is a $70 steak better than the local pubs $7 steak?? yes but is it 10 times the steak?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #12
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with Hulk. If you're only going to look at it from a value for money perspective, it's never going to add up. But if you're like me who firmly believes that you get what you pay for, then yes, it's worth it.

If I could afford it, I'd get an S600 without skipping a beat.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 01:02 AM   #13
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I agree with Hulk. If you're only going to look at it from a value for money perspective, it's never going to add up. But if you're like me who firmly believes that you get what you pay for, then yes, it's worth it.

Amazing, someone finally agrees with hulk!

Its all relative, when I was 18, 5K was an expensive car. In general us plebs don't get the fact that your neighbour who drives an S Class, has a business which he can lease that calibre of vehicle through.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy answer , if you can afford an expensive vehicle and it brings you a good ownership experience ............. it is worth it.

By the same token in my book , paying more for a motor vehicle does not necessarily guarantee you will get a better car, in some cases it may, or it may get you a better ownership experience depending on what you want out of it, or it may be a complete lemon !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 03:55 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

Paying a lot imo, does not always guarantee you get what you want, on the other hand i bought an old clunker(so i thought) as a runaround that turned out to be an absolute gem and it far exceeded my expectations in a big way ,
i cant remember how many years use i got out of it, my young step brother got his licence and i gave it to him on that day , and he got another year or two out of it , he did not have to pay a cent ......
For that car i paid $ 400 buks.
Old 28-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been looking for a while at various cars trying to find something that captures what I love about cars and driving. I've been looking at power ratings, suspension set ups everything.

And I worked out what it is...

Manual transmission.

I bought recently a 2 year old Kia Rio with a 103kw engine and 6 speed manual. It was to be my train station car but I absolutely love driving it. I use it now for everything.

Recently had to do a hills run - had the choice of my mates auto Audi A5 coupe or my Kia. I took the Kia, it is just a lot more enjoyable than a auto.

Great thing about a manual for my daily commute is that I now have to do a little bit of work to get the small engine in its good zone. My frustration levels have dropped 80%. In a big comfy powerful automatic things are too effortless so I get very frustrated if I wasn't hurtling along or if I was being held up by slower cars. It wasnt healthy.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars for some people are a status symbol. The more expensive they are the more money they have.

Basically the rich do not care about reliability; if it breaks they will get a new one.

One of my good mate’s dads buys new cars every 6 months. One day he purchased a brand new Audi R8 because he was bored, sold it 6 months later to buy a Ferrari.

Really the question should be Are cars above $100000 worth it. The answer would be yes, because most cars under $150000 there is not much difference.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Everything is worth it until it breaks down, as cars do. Then prepare for the sting. If you can afford an expensive car.... Make sure you can afford the cost of the repairs.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
AUwindsor

My advice is buy what you can very comfortably afford.

Also, the euro cars here are priced a lot higher here than in the USA or Europe. So they are not really 'supposed' to be such high-end better quality cars than what we here are kind of programmed in a way of thinking... because of the huge price tag.

I won't buy a car over probably 20k again in my lifetime because I see it as really just a waste of my money, unless i become a multi-multi millionaire, then it's all relative.. adding another zero.

My AU Fairlane V8 cost me a whopping $1300 after some negotiating. The body/paint is near 100% perfect. The previous owner bought a new VE SS ute and just wanted it gone. I added some s/h from gumtree $500 18x9" wheels and some mechanical repairs, it's now cost me $2500 tops. It drives like a 7 series beamer, corners better than many cars ive driven, i mean the thing handles, even at high speeds, hard cornering, like a proper prestige car.. yep, and it's a tank. who would have thought, the AU IRS is really that good.

So i have a $2500 cruiser that all in all, does what a $25,000+ car does, and it still looks new enough to cruise the CBD next to $250,000+ euros and drive into a private hospital full of doctors cars and not look totally out of place.

My personal opinion, are expensive cars worth it, not anymore. Plus, the "hoon" laws have made it even more so.. why would i now spend over $50k on a car that one wrong move and some bad timing, a few times, and my car is gone... thank you tax paying citizen for allowing me to auction your hard earned asset just because you pushed the accelerator a little.

Nope, definitely no longer worth it in my books. I had spent $100k total (including near new purchase price) on a highly modified HSV prior to "hoon" laws, back in the early 2000's. So im not being biased because i can't afford an expensive car.

Each to their own on this one.
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Depends on what you want & what is available, sometimes you might have to pay high cost for that special car you desire.
The answer can be yes or no.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #21
Spurious

Oh' yeh they're sooo worth it.......until you have to buy parts!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #22
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post

In my case, the ability to go to the beach for a run and swim after work was what made my day, and the drive in the bravo was part of that so I enjoyed it. I didnt see many Merc's or BMW's in the beach car park at 5:15pm - most were sheet boxes.

I might have some thinking to do

You pretty much answered your own question.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Oh' yeh they're sooo worth it.......until you have to buy parts!
Not if you know where to look
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #24
XLTDP63

working in the automotive repair industry its easy why a Mercedes, bmw, audi or any other prestige vehicle costs 10x more then a little mazda 2, they are by far the better built cars. Although most prestige cars still have a dash made of plastic like most other cars so half the time the only difference is the logo on the steering wheel. Its the technology that really sets them apart though. Think it was Jeremy Clarkson on top gear who said if you want to know what technology every car will have in 10 years go look at a Mercedes today.
XLTDP63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #25
Swordie

I appreciate safety of high end models such as S-Class.

Are they expensive cars worth it? - to me no. I'm not rich.

If i had lots of money I would be tempted to buy an expensive car such as a 911. Problem is 911 is not the sort of car to leave at the supermarket, they can be target to vandals. A late model Falcon you wouldn't have to worry.

Just because someone drives an expensive car does not mean they are rich. They could of borrowed the money to buy it and spend a greater proportion of their income compared to someone similar who drivers a cheaper car.

I like AUwindsor's approach and buying Fairlane. It has more style than many modern cars. It car never to be built again and unique to Australia.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 AM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes... I went from a 60k Territory to a 100k Benz ML350 and it was worth it. It drives better, is quieter, has heaps more power and tech and doesn't need to go back to the dealership every 5000kms for some sore of rectification. For me my biggest priority is safety, followed by reliability. The older the car the less you have of each. My Merc isn't a keeper, once it's 4 years old ill dump it and get something else. I do pity people who buy old second hand euro cars though, to me they just aren't worth it once things start to play up, e.g I wouldn't buy my car when it's 4 years old over a Brand new SUV for the same dollars.

The ownership experience is also worlds apart. Going to get the merc serviced = bacon and eggs for breaky, and a whole host of other benefits along the ownership period.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 01:54 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Yes... I went from a 60k Territory to a 100k Benz ML350 and it was worth it. It drives better, is quieter, has heaps more power and tech and doesn't need to go back to the dealership every 5000kms for some sore of rectification. For me my biggest priority is safety, followed by reliability. The older the car the less you have of each. My Merc isn't a keeper, once it's 4 years old ill dump it and get something else. I do pity people who buy old second hand euro cars though, to me they just aren't worth it once things start to play up, e.g I wouldn't buy my car when it's 4 years old over a Brand new SUV for the same dollars.

The ownership experience is also worlds apart. Going to get the merc serviced = bacon and eggs for breaky, and a whole host of other benefits along the ownership period.
They're also a pain in the *** to work on, once you start hitting that 10 year mark and you get the little things going wrong, take it to a Euro specialist workshop.

Not such an issue for poster I quoted, he doesn't plan on keeping it for long so its doubtful they will run into issues, and if they do its going to be covered by warranty and taken back to a dealership familiar with said vehicle.

There is a reason why Euro specialist workshops exist, I seriously hate working on European cars and especially VWs, they rank close to the top for worst cars to work on.

It seems luck of the draw, might not have any troubles what so ever or you get one with heaps of problems when you buy second hand Euros which are getting on in the years.

Also owners of older second hand Euro cars seem to have an issue with paying to have their cars fixed which has been my experience because "why does X cost so much". Just because you bought a 10 year old Euro for 1/10th of its RRP doesn't mean the parts are 1/10th of the price they used to be as well, and it doesn't mean since its old they will be common either, cheaper option is to source things from overseas but you might be waiting a few weeks.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-03-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
They're also a pain in the *** to work on, once you start hitting that 10 year mark and you get the little things going wrong, take it to a Euro specialist workshop.

Not such an issue for poster I quoted, he doesn't plan on keeping it for long so its doubtful they will run into issues, and if they do its going to be covered by warranty and taken back to a dealership familiar with said vehicle.

There is a reason why Euro specialist workshops exist, I seriously hate working on European cars and especially VWs, they rank close to the top for worst cars to work on.

It seems luck of the draw, might not have any troubles what so ever or you get one with heaps of problems when you buy second hand Euros which are getting on in the years.

Also owners of older second hand Euro cars seem to have an issue with paying to have their cars fixed which has been my experience because "why does X cost so much". Just because you bought a 10 year old Euro for 1/10th of its RRP doesn't mean the parts are 1/10th of the price they used to be as well, and it doesn't mean since its old they will be common either, cheaper option is to source things from overseas but you might be waiting a few weeks.
and as a rule you pay a premium for these models , so one has to weigh the needs against the value for money.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #29
cram_it_frog
wombat

My ex brother in laws , Brother finished uni as a chemist and got a job with a decent pay packet so he bought a brand new V12 jag

fantastic car and it had all the looks but costs insurance servicing and other little things like people keying the panels in car parks and one day he had a problem with distributor and the points so he booked it in .

he almost died the bill was massive it took 3 or 4 hours just to get to the part which cost under $50

So he traded it in on a Ford Fairmont ghia sedan and never looked back he said the jag was good car but a wast of hard earned money to keep it going

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #30
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Not sure about expensive cars. Unless you turn them over regularly they end up being a very expensive time bomb once out of warranty.

I was keen on used X5's for a while as I noticed they were getting cheap, that is affordable. I rang 2 indie BMW workshops for advice on what to look for. They both warned me to stay right the ******* away from them unless you want a very expensive headache!!

Hmmmm, time to rethink this.

I'm starting to think an old s***box is a better way to go.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: