Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Any reason why Falcon can't go to the UK?

As per the thread title, is there any particular reason why the Falcon is unsuitable for export to the UK?

Considering the UK is a RHD country and the Falcon is RHD (well, duh) I would have thought it would have been a gimme. Perhaps there is an emissions issue with the I6 but can this be overcome? It certainly wouldnt be because of crash safety now that the petrol sedan models are 5 star rated by ANCAP (who base their testing on EuroNCAP).

Seeing a topic on Drivel (or could have been GoAuto) about Holden possibly looking at export opportunities to Europe for the Commodore had me wondering about this. Sure England (especially in London) is small car country, but you can't tell me that they wouldnt sell any of the premium models like the G6ET.

A couple of thousand exports per month of G6E's and G6ET's to ol' Blighty would go down well at Broady I would have thought...?

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The UK is the home of the small 4cyl buzz box.... to them a "musclecar" is a fwd 4cyl turbo i doubt a big thirsty RWD sedan would be received all that well, especially when an entry level 5 or E series would probably be cheaper...
Export is NOT always the best way forward or the solution, just ask holden....

Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
mcnamg

Cars in the UK pay a smog tax based on CO2 emissions so the Falcon would likely be pretty pricey and would have to compete directly with the Euro's
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Does anyone know how Holden went with their exports over there??
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Everytime Australia tries to export a large RWD car to UK it flunks badly. Im guessing Ford feels burned and doesnt want to go their again.

Now Territory their is a whole new games, that should in the UK now.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
mcnamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Everytime Australia tries to export a large RWD car to UK it flunks badly. Im guessing Ford feels burned and doesnt want to go their again.

Now Territory their is a whole new games, that should in the UK now.
Once the Territory goes diesel and even the Falcon that would make it a winner in the UK as diesel is pretty damn popular over there
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamg
Cars in the UK pay a smog tax based on CO2 emissions so the Falcon would likely be pretty pricey and would have to compete directly with the Euro's
Plus isnt there another tax (or rego) that is based on engine size? Think that would also make our cars way too expensive

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
pommy b
Banned

Ford Eurpope ditched there large car...the scorpio.... in the 90's. This was because for the same money, you can get into an entry BMW / Merc and thats exactly what people where doing. Middle managers went from driving big Fords / Vauxhalls etc to 318's, C classes, etc.

The 3 series is now in the top 10 best selling cars in the UK... and I can't see people jumping back to a big ford anytime soon...no matter how good.

Also, as others have mentioned, the co2 emmissions would be a BIG problem as company car owners are taxed based on the co2 output.
pommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Does anyone know how Holden went with their exports over there??

Nothing worth writing home about. I think they sell about 200-300 VXR8' a year
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ok so we know that the smog taxes or whatever it is, would make the cost prohibitively expensive for anyone over there to buy a Falcon.

So how come the VXR8 gan get the gong to be imported and the Ford can't?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
So in other words its not worth sending cars over there as it would be a niche market.

You'd think the middle east would be their best place to have a look at the figures.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

More large vehicles may not be a good idea for the UK.

They have 0.24 million square kms of area and 60 milion people living in it.

We have 7.64 million square kms of area and only 20 million people (we may have large areas not largely populated, but still.....).

Imagine the congestion in their city, no wonder they have all those taxes and stuff.

We are a very lucky country!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Whilst I was in London for 6 years I hardly saw any VXR8s (or Monaros for that matter) on the road

Personally, I think there are no synergies or profits to be had as there would be little demand for these cars in the UK

Road tax (equivalent to our rego here) is based on CO2 emissions and couple that with fuel prices would make the Falcon export program doomed from the start
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is not many Countrys are big enough or have roads crap enough to need a big rwd car. Australia is pretty unique in that way. Any car that has evolved here is going to be the wrong car in most other places. You wont ever sell a car like the Falcon inside Europe or in the UK, especailly not now that a large part of buying a car and living in general is based on how much pollution you make and their desire to not make pollution. Australia is very backwards in these kind of things. The Germans have been using reusable packaging and jars etc in shops for more than a decade, things we still haven't even tried. So it really seems like Australia (and the Mid East) will be the last stand for cars like the Commodore and the Falcon.

Also as everyone said a 2 litre car in the UK is a monster they have mental problems with engines bigger than that
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
More large vehicles may not be a good idea for the UK.

They have 0.24 million square kms of area and 60 milion people living in it.

We have 7.64 million square kms of area and only 20 million people (we may have large areas not largely populated, but still.....).

Imagine the congestion in their city, no wonder they have all those taxes and stuff.

We are a very lucky country!

And they sent us here :
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The Falcon would attract £400 a year of VED (vehicle excise duty) as it is.

If it was to get below the 225g/km of C02 mark, then it would go down to £210 per year.

Diesel brings no advantage to cost, where as alternative fuels like CNG/LPG etc have a discount of about £15.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Are the VXR8's sales THAT low? Why would you bother...
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
The Falcon would attract £400 a year of VED (vehicle excise duty) as it is.

If it was to get below the 225g/km of C02 mark, then it would go down to £210 per year.

Diesel brings no advantage to cost, where as alternative fuels like CNG/LPG etc have a discount of about £15.
Falcon is at 236/9 withe the 6 speed auto. I guess with euro 4 they should be able to get it lower.
Still the issue with the car being too big for the average punter still stands.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Are the VXR8's sales THAT low? Why would you bother...
Probably a good indication why Ford wouldnt/hasnt either..

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Exactly Road warrior exactly!

Not worth the headaches and the bottom line iosnt pumped at to any degree. maybe there is enough profit to buy an extra few slabs for the staff Xmas party
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The G6ET would possibly be the only candidate but it ain't gonna work. A car of this size/luxury/performance level would have to compete with luxo brands and the FORD badge can't mix it in those circles.

The Falcon is simply too big for that market even if it was a diesel, the Mondeo internally is just about as good as the Falcon and even things such as car parks, garages, carports etc in English houses are too small.

Engine wise, the mentality in the UK is a 2 litre engine is big.

I'm from the UK and have numerous discussions with UK family (while i'm over there) about this. When I moved back there, I left a P6 LTD in Aust and wanted a Falcon in the UK, found a 6 pot LTD for about UKP1,000 but even I decided to pass it up, fuel and insurance costs are huge killers.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
500SEC

I lived in the UK for 10 years. The only Australian Fords I laid eyes upon were an XD station wagon, an XB Falcon coupe and several hearss most of which are Australian Ford LTDs.

Many years ago, Ford Australia exported the XB Fairmont wagon (with the 302ci engine) to the UK and it was road tested by Autocar magazine. It was my dream to locate a second-hander but wasn't able to.

...and there was a Victorian registered Volvo 760 in my street.

Also saw several HSV products wearing Vauxhall badges.

The British wouldn't take to an Australian Falcon because it's too large, wears a Ford badge, no diesel option and wouldn't have the quality of the competing Audis, Beamers and Mercs. Besides, they already have the similarly-sized Mondeo.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

UK has the mondeo.

Its just as roomy if not more than the falcon, better build, better equiped and uses less petrol

Not a hard choice
Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #24
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

I don't think that the decision has anything to do with the size of the car or its engine. There are and always have been plenty of big cars over there- think Jag sedans...far far more of them there than over here. Most of the larger "cheaper" cars (Ford, Vauxhall, Rover) never did that well, not due to their size but that the German offerings were vastly superior and reasonably affordable with some representing better resale vale.
Having said that, the Ford Scorpio was actually German built but not the same quality as the BMW's etc.

I never considered a large Ford or Vauxhall when I lived there, Had 5 series and Audi' Quattros instead...miles better and very affordable 5 and 6 cyl cars.....my big aussie BA's and BF's were no faster than a 1983 528i that weighed more with a smaller engine!
Contrary to popular opinion, the small roads are quite big enough to accommodate large cars- having been brought up in the country and being one of 4 sons we had to have larger cars (CX Citroen Safaris) and I don't recall wedging them in small roads!
4Vman, don't get "muscle" cars confused with "performance" cars....I am as big a fan of old Aussie V8s as anyone here but if I was after a "performance" car, they'd be close to the bottom of the list!

Pooh pooh the Uks tendancies towards smaller cars but I suggest that you have a look at the trend over here now....the cars here and on UK roads seem awfully similar in size, its no secret that sadly smaller cars are becoming far more prevalent here too now.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

falcon is too fast for poms

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Engine wise, the mentality in the UK is a 2 litre engine is big.
Exactly,

The typical family car over there is a Corolla / Focus or similar, and prob with a 1.6 petrol or diesel as the entry level model, not the larger engines we get.

Our 'small cars' here would still have 2 classes below that over there.

They just like their cars smaller, simple as that. There is no market for a non premium branded large family car.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #27
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

parking can be a problem my brother lives in scotland and his house is the only one in the street with a garage
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #28
Blue_XR

This is interesting because I remember reading another thread saying that Nizpro enhanced F6's were exported to the UK

See the you tube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEe-rXaZ_w
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #29
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
As per the thread title, is there any particular reason why the Falcon is unsuitable for export to the UK?

Considering the UK is a RHD country and the Falcon is RHD (well, duh) I would have thought it would have been a gimme. Perhaps there is an emissions issue with the I6 but can this be overcome? It certainly wouldnt be because of crash safety now that the petrol sedan models are 5 star rated by ANCAP (who base their testing on EuroNCAP).

Seeing a topic on Drivel (or could have been GoAuto) about Holden possibly looking at export opportunities to Europe for the Commodore had me wondering about this. Sure England (especially in London) is small car country, but you can't tell me that they wouldnt sell any of the premium models like the G6ET.

A couple of thousand exports per month of G6E's and G6ET's to ol' Blighty would go down well at Broady I would have thought...?
Theres no market for it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #30
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
falcon is too fast for poms
Obviously you have never driven on their motorways. If you do 70 mph (about 115kph, the limit on the motorways), you generally end up in the left lane being overtaken by most, some at quite a speed.

One big problem as has been mentioned, is that carparks are generally of a size that a Honda Civic almost has trouble squeezing into.

But on the motorways in an FG F6 or GT, wow, that would be something.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post