Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Speed Doesn't Kill - FACT!

source:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/6756/spe...-its-official/

The study, titled Road Casualties Great Britain 2006, studied over 145,798 road collisions in the UK last year.
“‘Exceeding speed limit’ was attributed to 3 percent of cars involved in accidents,” the report stated.
So what are the main causes of vehicle accidents? UK Police examine up to 77 factors on the scene of an accident.
“The most common factor is failed to look properly which contributed to 35 percent of accidents. Four of the six most frequently reported contributory factors involved driver or rider error or reaction,” the report stated.
As for fatal accidents, the report blamed loss of control in 35 per cent of fatal accidents.

ENTIRE REPORT:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...roadsafety.pdf

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

anybody with half a brain knows this already...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
anybody with half a brain knows this already...
No everyone with a whole brain knows that, the ones with half a brain want lower speed limits and larger fines....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Speed NEVER KiLL's

Its always the SUDDEN STOP at the end that does it...
Old 02-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Speed NEVER KiLL's

Its always the SUDDEN STOP at the end that does it...
thats exactly it.
no one ever died from going 1000kmh.
they have however died from stopping too quick after going 1000kmh.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Speed doesn't kill, but it sure keeps cash strapped governments in the black. Or, at least, not quite as far in the red!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
thats exactly it.
no one ever died from going 1000kmh.
they have however died from stopping too quick after going 1000kmh.
Nope wrong, its acutually a lack of oxygen to the brain that kills, the sudden stop just contributes to the removal of oxygen.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I sent this letter to Harold Scruby's mob, I am still awaiting a reply...

Dear Sir"s/Madam's, could I please obtain a comment from the appropriate person within your organisation with regards to the current road toll in the Northern Territory. As a concerned road user, I am shocked that all the new laws have made no differnce at all, in fact one might argue that things are now worse. Could it be that your organistaion really had no real idea as to what the real causes of death on NT roads are. Perhaps in future your organisation might abstain from giving advise so that those who actually know the roads and condition's here in the NT might have a say.
I eagerly await your considered responce.

All the best, XXXX XXXXXXX, Alice Springs, NT.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

if i hit a tree , at 200km /hr . the speed i hit the tree at would kill me. F A C T !!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

haha! good letter outback jack, those new laws really suck for you, did you mention the extended trip times and lower speeds could contribute to fatigue related crashes, which is country roads biggest killer?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
if i hit a tree , at 200km /hr . the speed i hit the tree at would kill me. F A C T !!!!!
If you were doing 200kph anywhere there was a risk of hitting a tree, it would be better for the gene pool if you did die!!

That is a generic comment not neccessarily aimed at you personally.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Quote:
hit a light post on the freeway at 100km and it would kill you, i would rather hit a pole at 200km and die faster
Old 02-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
haha! good letter outback jack, those new laws really suck for you, did you mention the extended trip times and lower speeds could contribute to fatigue related crashes, which is country roads biggest killer?
Too true, the funny thing is , the NT gov have started an add campaign aimed at drivers avoiding fatigue on long trips. They state that fatigue is the number one killer on our long highways. Go figure. So they are keeping the 130kph limits???? I was in Darwin a couple of weeks ago. It was really encouraging to hear how many people have had a gut full of Clare. I am fairly hopefull of her and her cronies getting a real hard kick up the clacker at the next election.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
If you were doing 200kph anywhere there was a risk of hitting a tree, it would be better for the gene pool if you did die!!

That is a generic comment not neccessarily aimed at you personally.
no offence taken . but the fact is the faster you collide with something , the direct proportionate chance of dying increases . the title of this post is false.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
no offence taken . but the fact is the faster you collide with something , the direct proportionate chance of dying increases . the title of this post is false.

I agree mate,but the redneck brigade would rather die then admit speeding increases the chances and severity of crashes.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
I agree mate,but the redneck brigade would rather die then admit speeding increases the chances and severity of crashes.
So anyone that does not agrre with you is a red neck??? Well if that make's me a red neck, with 3 degrees, then so be it!!!!

Uhhu uhhh paff da sunblok miffter..... :
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Boys....can we please be a little serious here for a moment.

Some of the comments above, are exactly why the car enthusiast community has a bad name. Some of you are very ingnorant, and blind to the dangers that lie in abusing the road as a race track and breaking the law by speeding.

While Speed was not the major factor in this report, it did find however that Driver error was a major cause of accidents.

If anyone who has made those stupid comments above, would realise that by increasing your speed, your reaction time to changed conditions becomes less, hence increasing the chance of driver error. It seems that some of you are trying to defend those that break the law. Grow up

I admit that Driver education is by far the best way of cutting our road toll, when compared to other 'solutions' such as increased fines and slower speed rules, we must be aware of our choices when it comes to speeding.

It's obvisous from the comments above, that some members of this forum could use some driver training themselves...

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
Boys....can we please be a little serious here for a moment.

Some of the comments above, are exactly why the car enthusiast community has a bad name. Some of you are very ingnorant, and blind to the dangers that lie in abusing the road as a race track and breaking the law by speeding.

While Speed was not the major factor in this report, it did find however that Driver error was a major cause of accidents.

If anyone who has made those stupid comments above, would realise that by increasing your speed, your reaction time to changed conditions becomes less, hence increasing the chance of driver error. It seems that some of you are trying to defend those that break the law. Grow up

I admit that Driver education is by far the best way of cutting our road toll, when compared to other 'solutions' such as increased fines and slower speed rules, we must be aware of our choices when it comes to speeding.

It's obvisous from the comments above, that some members of this forum could use some driver training themselves...
I have never glorified those that have broken the law, and I never will. What I get angry about is dumb laws made by dumb polititicians that seek to profit from motoring enthusiasts. Driver traing should be an ongoing thing. Not just when you get your license but every two years or so. And I belive that driver's should be put into a stressfull situation at every test (controlled environment of course). Wether this be a skid pan or a moving obsticle course or what ever, it needs to be implemented. If you dont pass, you dont drive. Anyone on this forum that has ever driven in the NT pre 1/1/07 will tell you that speed by itself is not inherantly dangerous. And I dare say, that Territory drivers that have experienced prolonged high speed touring (say above 130kph) are better drivers for the experience. (edit) I would even reccoment that anyone that can get to the NT and drive at 130kph legally should do it, while you still can!!

I often wonder where all this, speed camars, spy camera, red light camera will end. The real causes of road death is being ignored.

BTW, I do appreciate what you are trying to say.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 02-10-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wit the "Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop that does..."

I'll just point out, speed is a measurment of distance over time - a measurment never killed someone... (death by meters)....

however, this is not what the report is about... it is really about removing the generalisation of speed, and pinpointing the actual cause. ie, sure, XYZ may have been speeding when they hit me, but it was dark and my lights weren't working...

Speed itself is never a cause of a crash... it is however a contributing factor to the outcome - speed + cars handling at those speeds + drivers reaction + weather + visibility + other traffic = outcome....

As you can see... it wasn't ONLY speeding that caused that crash...

However, some might argue, that if he wasn't doing those speeds, the crash may never have resulted... well here in lays the argument....

Anyway, I though it was an interesting article to post on...

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Are you serious ?

Anyone who has gone on holiday in a jet plane cruising at 1000kph should be dead then.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I should've died a loooooooooong time ago if speed killed.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #22
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I sent this letter to Harold Scruby's mob, I am still awaiting a reply...

Dear Sir"s/Madam's, could I please obtain a comment from the appropriate person within your organisation with regards to the current road toll in the Northern Territory. As a concerned road user, I am shocked that all the new laws have made no differnce at all, in fact one might argue that things are now worse. Could it be that your organistaion really had no real idea as to what the real causes of death on NT roads are. Perhaps in future your organisation might abstain from giving advise so that those who actually know the roads and condition's here in the NT might have a say.
I eagerly await your considered responce.

All the best, XXXX XXXXXXX, Alice Springs, NT.
These are the national road toll comparisons (NT specific below) (06-07) (source: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/road_fat...ics/index.aspx)

JAN06 - 153

JAN07 - 132 (Down from 06)

FEB06 - 124

FEB07 - 121 (Down from 06)

MAR06 - 127

MAR07 - 145 (Up from 06)

APR06 – 125

APR07 - 136 (Up from 06)

MAY06 – 130

MAY07 - 131 (Up from 06)

JUN06 - 132

JUN07 - 125 (Down from 06)

JUL06 - 111

JUL07 - 127 (Up from 06)

AUG06 - 128

AUG07 - 123 (Down from 06)

Quote:
There have been 1,064 road deaths in 2007 to the end of August.
- this is a 1.7% increase over the same 8 month period in 2006.
Also, in there monthly report (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/.../mrf082007.pdf)

in relation to the NT, Sep05 - Aug06 there were 50 fatalities, and in the same period 12 months on (Sep 06 - Aug 07) there were 44 fatalities... so there has been a drop by 6 deaths in this one period alone... however this may not reflect the new 130kph speed zones, because if you look at the data, there has been a 3.8% drop in fatalities in the NT over the past 5 years.

Have a browse through the two quoted reports. They do make some interesting reading and clear up most of the media rubbish!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #23
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Are you serious ?

Anyone who has gone on holiday in a jet plane cruising at 1000kph should be dead then.
What exactly does everyone in a jet cruising at 1000kph collide with?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
GT-E

Quote:
That tree could fall on your car while you are parked and still kill you....WHAT IS YOUR POINT ?

This report is exactly what educated drivers alreads know. You drive to suite the conditions of the road. EXCESSIVE speed for the conditions is dangerous, driving over the POSTED speed limit is not always dangerous, contrary to what the revenue police and governments want us to believe.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
What exactly does everyone in a jet cruising at 1000kph collide with?
Nothing, the point being, "speed does not kill"
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
We have an Einstein here.
Wont it depend on the size of the tree?
a sapling wont kill you at 500kph,a huge redwood probably at 40kph,hell if your that paranoid,catch the train or walk.
But people die doing that too,may as well wrap yourself in cotton wool and stay in bed..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I'll agree that speed is a factor in car crashes but it's NOT the major factor..

I remember those ads they used to run where they showed that going 5km over the limit increases your stopping distance by soo much...what if you're driving a Porsche 911 which would stop a lot quicker than the average car, doesn't apply then does it??

If the driver knows what their vehicle is capable of then speed doesn't kill...

Okay, I think it's time the Govt takes this seriously and starts taking down all the speed camera's around Aus

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #28
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mighty lot of confusion in this thread. It is inappropriate speed in the circumstances that can kill, not necessarily speed that is over a posted legal speed limit (which limit may be INappropriate to the circumstances). More to do with driver skill/alertness than speed limits. In the weekend some poor couple in a Falcon copped it near Mt Victoria when a Tarago driver went into a bend too fast and crossed to the wrong side of the road. I'm sure the Tarago driver was below the posted speed limit and therefore it won't be recorded as a "speeding" offence. But hang on - yes it was speeding because they were going too fast for that corner (and the capabilities of the crappy vehicle they were driving) but the law won't recognise it as speeding because it was slower than the number in the roundel sign by the road.

Operating anything at speed can be fatal if it comes into contact with an object. So lets slow motor vehicles down to 55 kph country and city (using the VP Commodore as a benchmark, the NCAP test for which found that the driver would be dead in a head-on as low as 56 kph!).

"Speed" (per "posted limits") in Australia is nothing more than a revenue-raising political beat-up, nothing to do with road safety or statistical reality. Driver competence (skill and alertness) is the REAL problem that is not being addressed - not to mention lack of Federal regulation against cars with poor primary safety being imported into this country.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

FACT:- Speeding is the main contributing factor to many fatal accidents, but not all of them.
ANOTHER FACT:- More people are killed on our roads due to fatigue than speeding.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #30
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
These are the national road toll comparisons (NT specific below) (06-07) (source: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/road_fat...ics/index.aspx)

JAN06 - 153

JAN07 - 132 (Down from 06)

FEB06 - 124

FEB07 - 121 (Down from 06)

MAR06 - 127

MAR07 - 145 (Up from 06)

APR06 – 125

APR07 - 136 (Up from 06)

MAY06 – 130

MAY07 - 131 (Up from 06)

JUN06 - 132

JUN07 - 125 (Down from 06)

JUL06 - 111

JUL07 - 127 (Up from 06)

AUG06 - 128

AUG07 - 123 (Down from 06)

Also, in there monthly report (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/.../mrf082007.pdf)

in relation to the NT, Sep05 - Aug06 there were 50 fatalities, and in the same period 12 months on (Sep 06 - Aug 07) there were 44 fatalities... so there has been a drop by 6 deaths in this one period alone... however this may not reflect the new 130kph speed zones, because if you look at the data, there has been a 3.8% drop in fatalities in the NT over the past 5 years.

Have a browse through the two quoted reports. They do make some interesting reading and clear up most of the media rubbish!
I dont quite understand those figures???

http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/index.cfm?...ion=page&p=148

This is the NT police web site with the NT figures for the last 5 years including the current year. It shows that the lowest toll in those years was in 2004, pre speed limits, pre demerit points, pre speed camera's. We are heading for a new record!!!