Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Something in water....

I always knew there was something in the water at Elizabeth!!!

Ok its thinly related to automotive as it refers to the Holden plant...

Quote:
Holden warns of contaminated groundwater

AAP

10 November 2011

CAR maker Holden has warned property owners around its Elizabeth assembly plant in Adelaide against using possibly contaminated groundwater.

In a letter presented to property owners the company said it had identified historical contamination under its site with the detection of industrial solvents previously used for cleaning metal parts and plastics.

Holden said it had found trichloroethylene (TCE) and perchloroethene (PCE) at identifiable levels in groundwater about 18 to 20 metres under the plant.

Low levels of both chemicals had also been found at the northeastern boundary of the company's property and of TCE at the northern boundary.

"The risk posed by these chemicals is low given the concentrations that have been detected," Holden told property owners.

"Nevertheless, we have notified (the) Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and are working with the EPA on this historical issue and are undertaking further testing and sampling of the contamination."

Holden said it was in the process of determining where to sink test bores and warned against the use of bore water for any purpose until further notice.

"Please be assured that your health and safety are our top priority," the company told property owners.

The EPA said it was previously notified of the contamination under the Holden site in February but had since been provided with further information by the company.

Acting chief executive Tony Circelli there were no bores on residential properties within the investigation area but there were some commercial bores.

"This further confirms previous advice from EPA and SA Health that bore owners should regularly test their bore water to ensure it is fit for purpose," Mr Circelli.

The EPA said Holden had also engaged occupational hygienists from the University of Adelaide to assess indoor air quality for workers at its Elizabeth plant.

It said this work was undertaken in buildings above the known plume area for the chemicals and the results found there was no unacceptable risk to human health.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Something in water....

"Historical chemicals". I would suspect any car plant, Ford included, would probably have the same thing. A holdover from the days when they'd tip drums of crap down the drains or hose down production areas..."environment? What's that?"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Very true. In the area between the stamping plant and the old plant 5, where a creek runs through, they used to dump all their scrap steel there, and a some of it was chemical coated, zinc etc. They dug it all up and got rid of it a few years ago when they were about to sell plant 5.

Also the old Product Engineering building which has just been leveled to make way for a Bunnings was quite heavily polluted. The cars they put in the crusher weren't even drained of fluids back then.

No one cared back in those days.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

WE had the creek in Springvale (Vic) used to run through the old VW (later Nissan) plant, it would be a different color every week used to freak the old lady out when we would come home from playing in it and have our clothes covered in the colored gunk , but we survived nothing wrong with me me me

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Very true. In the area between the stamping plant and the old plant 5, where a creek runs through, they used to dump all their scrap steel there, and a some of it was chemical coated, zinc etc. They dug it all up and got rid of it a few years ago when they were about to sell plant 5.

Also the old Product Engineering building which has just been leveled to make way for a Bunnings was quite heavily polluted. The cars they put in the crusher weren't even drained of fluids back then.

No one cared back in those days.

Then they go from that to this:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/144775/f...-paint-sludge/
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
WE had the creek in Springvale (Vic) used to run through the old VW (later Nissan) plant, it would be a different color every week used to freak the old lady out when we would come home from playing in it and have our clothes covered in the colored gunk , but we survived nothing wrong with me me me
ahhh so that is the reason for you have compulsive car disorder then

I remember riding down at the creek Bossxr8 is talking about and found it odd that some parts were alive and living when other bits were dead as a dodo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I remember they tested the soil and found high levels of zinc and nickel, probably other types of heavy metals like cadmium, chromium and that sort of stuff too.

Cowies Creek it was.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hells bells man, at leasdt they notified EPA god spare Holden if those beauracrtic numb numbs ever get on their wrong side
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
Hells bells man, at leasdt they notified EPA god spare Holden if those beauracrtic numb numbs ever get on their wrong side

They'd get a slap on the wrist compared to if they had a serious OHS breach.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That explains a lot about the people that live in Elizabeth then...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on, has anyone ever been up salisbury / elizabeth way. Go to the local shopping centre etc and you will see that Holden will be shitting bricks about potential court cases that could be bought against them. Who would walk around in a Holden t- shirt, tracky daks and ugg boots, if they havent unwittingly been soaking up trichloroethylene (TCE) and perchloroethene (PCE) over the last 20 years.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

There have been a few instances like this recently round Adelaide. The first one I think was the hills hoist factory.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
That explains a lot about the people that live in Elizabeth then...

well im glad someone put two and two together...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
"Historical chemicals". I would suspect any car plant, Ford included, would probably have the same thing. A holdover from the days when they'd tip drums of crap down the drains or hose down production areas..."environment? What's that?"...
it's sounds pretty minor compared to the dumping ford was accused of in the USA (dumping barrels of toxic sludge down an old mineshaft).