Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What to you do when the heavens open?
Pull over and stop immediately 3 1.99%
Continue to a low traffic area and pull over 6 3.97%
Continue slowly to planned destination with headlights on 138 91.39%
Continue slowly to planned destination with hazard lights on 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Sapper
Back to the AU

Default What do you do when the heavens open?

Well, at about 6pm tonight, the heavens opened over me as I was driving home and I noticed that some people had some interesting ways of coping with the situation. Anyway, since Sydney will probably see more rain nowadays, I'd like to pose the question in the title. What I am referring to is torrential rain that is generally accopanied by hail.

Old 28-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

If its hailing, pull over under cover, at a servo or one of my jobs garage/carport...
Heavy rain, usually continue at a much slower pace though...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

i turn the headlights on, and procede with caution.....slowing down to the conditions.

if it gets so heavy i absolutley cannot see, i'll find a safe place to pull to the side and put my hazard lights on
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Slow down, headlights on, and a big distance between me and the car in front.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Speed up to get home before the hail starts!

Just kidding! Put the headlights on and slow down, stop if I cant see

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
AU2 Pursuit Ute
Fords : outlast Religion

Perfect! all traffic pulled over, coppers are like disprins( they dissolve in water) Ya Hammer it of course!!
AU2 Pursuit Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Hail - On the bike, head for cover :
Hail - In the Typhoon, head for cover :
Rain - On the bike, keep going :
Rain - In the Typhoon, CHECK THAT TRACTION CONTROL IS ON :eclipsee_
BBB
Old 28-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Speed up to get home before the hail starts!

Just kidding! Put the headlights on and slow down, stop if I cant see
very nice :

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I live in Cairns, so in the wet seasin we get some hardcore rain.

I'll usually just slow down heaps, gotta love rainX, but if it is really bad, I'll pull over!
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the headlights on and drive depending on how heavy the rain is. If the visibility is really poor, I have my front and rear spotlights on.

It's never been that bad that I have pulled over but I go really slow.

It's amazing how many people continue to drive flat out without lights on like today in Canberra. Not suprisingly I saw a MX5 on a tray top completely smashed up.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rain - watch out for massive puddles on the road. I went through one and came out without a mudflap .
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
old_mate
Smash the Boost

get out and proceed to wash car? bloody water restrictions

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Force6

Pull over and pick up some hail stones and make myself a scotch on the rocks for the drive home...
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #14
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like el661 said, north queensland gets some filth rain depressions up there. been through half a METRE of rain in under 24 hours. no driving in that. hail is the nasty stuff tho. find a shopping centre or something to get out of it. lucky haven't had to worry about that yet. have driven to chermside one night and the hail nets were so full of hail they had sagged down and squashed the cars in under them until the ice melted haha no escape

also try and avoid anything with a bogan behind the wheel, as rain seems to bring them out... :(

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

rain....?
whats that?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a Madonna song isn't it?

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #17
angelfury
right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
rain....?
whats that?
there's a folk tale handed down to me through the generations by my mother that says that sort of wet stuff (like what you get from a tap, sometimes) rises into the air, way way above our heads, congregates up there, somewhere, and then this wet stuff falls back down again. now why it goes up, and then comes down again, is a mystery to me. i've never seen it happen either, and i don't believe my mother did either, so it's probably just a fairy tale or something. :

as for driving in it, well, if i ever saw it, lights would go on, i would slow down, and leave a huge gap between me and the car in front. if i couldn't see, i'd pull over. and then i'd take a photo.
angelfury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

if its hailing, i use to try and find cover, but ive been caught in a few hail storms now, and ive had no damage done. besides, thats what insurance is for.

in rain, normally turn traction control off. (not for hooning purposes- but i find the car easier to control in some situations than with it on)
headlights/parkers, and keep going.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i turn the headlights on, and procede with caution.....slowing down to the conditions.

if it gets so heavy i absolutley cannot see, i'll find a safe place to pull to the side and put my hazard lights on
Yup, thats what I usually do..

Unless I'm in Brisbane.
If in Brissy I do what everyone else does. Turn off lights, sit 3 inches off the guy in front, speed up to warp speed, yell abuse at everyone and laugh at those who have broken down/crashed. I guess its a Qld thing

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yup, thats what I usually do..

Unless I'm in Brisbane.
If in Brissy I do what everyone else does. Turn off lights, sit 3 inches off the guy in front, speed up to warp speed, yell abuse at everyone and laugh at those who have broken down/crashed. I guess its a Qld thing

lol some parts of Sydney also experience this phenomenon - although the parts I usually seem to drive in, it goes somewhat like this:

Heavy rain begins - all lights on, hazards on, slow down to 10km/h, block every single lane, act panicked and put your hands on your head like you have never seen water before, proceed as if you are driving a rollerskate on slicks instead of a modern car with deep grooved tyres designed to operate in wet weather, wherever possible block all emergency lanes by parking angled across them and then proceeding to call your loved ones to say goodbye to the world. When it ends make a Captain Obvious comment about how it is "good for the drought".
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where's the option of keep going at full speed regardless?, that's what most drivers seem to do.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #22
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
lol some parts of Sydney also experience this phenomenon - although the parts I usually seem to drive in, it goes somewhat like this:

Heavy rain begins - all lights on, hazards on, slow down to 10km/h, block every single lane, act panicked and put your hands on your head like you have never seen water before, proceed as if you are driving a rollerskate on slicks instead of a modern car with deep grooved tyres designed to operate in wet weather, wherever possible block all emergency lanes by parking angled across them and then proceeding to call your loved ones to say goodbye to the world. When it ends make a Captain Obvious comment about how it is "good for the drought".
Its all so true. Well said.

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

expecting hail? well my mrs magna goes out from under cover, hopefully gets written off and my $3000 ute gets hidden under cover, no insurance on that one.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #24
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Live in Melbourne so it hardly ever hails here. I dont think ive driven in hail since I had my ZL Fairlane 7 years ago.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
aualright

I was lucky in that we just picked up the new T Ghia from the dealer and got it home 10 mins before the downpour on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
What's wrong with that??

Sounds like something I'd do.

If I can't see anything in front, I slow down enough to see, lights on, and continue.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #27
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

It is law nationwide under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility to have either your low beam headlights on, and/or parkers and front fog lights.

Parklights (sidelights-position) 'alone' under such conditions are illegal.

Your poll suggestion/question regarding the use of hazard warning lights on moving vehicles under hideously low visibility is designed to act as defacto rear fog lamps for those vehicles that are not so equipped, and has NO bearing on forward visibility in any manner.

In the years ahead, you will see the governing Rule, 221(e) abolished, as rear fog lamps become mandatory on all new vehicles. They are simply the better option for hideously low visibility, and brighter than the hazards, despite bearing the same wattage bulbs.

The use of hazard warning lights in Australian alowance for so many reasons diminishes the reason why Europe created them, purely for crash scenes and breakdowns, thats it. That is also reflected in UN driving Conventions adopted by most countries.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

Yep, that's what I do.

Nothing worse than seeing dipsticks do the hero thing and drive flat out in the rain - absolutely no idea. I don't care if they cream themselves, but the trouble is they are likely to take out somebody else as well.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
BlackLS

I normally drive with headlights on but will also turn on front and rear foglights in reduced visibility.

Rain - Soldier on leaving a big gap and reduce speed depending on conditions.
Hail - Try to get into a servo, but most of the time it won't last long enough to actually get there.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #30
mbukukanyau
Banned

Sometimes here in Colorado State we get freaking brick size ice bricks.. falling on your car
mbukukanyau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post