Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU audio/speaker up size anyone???

OK guys,audio related but an AU question so I'll post here,has any one fitted 6" round speakers in the front doors of an AU with out any major mods and as well as has any one fitted 6x9s in the lower section of the rear doors(wagon),My car being a wagon I also want to fit 5" in the rear speaker locations where the factory 4" item go as well
I didnt want to be the guinea pig on this,so I thought Id ask you guys first

Regards
Dave

V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd previously fitted 6.5" Hertz and now I've got 6.5" Alpine Type X's.

The Hertz's were more difficult to fit because of the mounting depth (I wanted to retain the factory door grills).

If you're going to install decent speakers you'll need to make/buy some spacers.
I made mine from mdf

It's easy enough to mount 6" or 6.5" but just make sure of your mounting depth.

Pic of Hertz

edit: Oh, I fade my rears out. I don't sit in the back seat so don't need them

Last edited by ronwest; 24-07-2008 at 09:08 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

I've got a set of 6.5" splits for the doors (ute so no back) to go in but I do need a spacer, just havent made them yet.
Old 24-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
CYCO TROOPS
CYCO4D Wagon.

I bought 6" speakers, I havent installed them, but got told that 6" will fit without having to change anything. So yeh being a wagon, I am abit lazy to change them really. I should actually get onto it. I was shattered that I couldnt fit no 6 X 9's in there :(
Old 25-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I'd previously fitted 6.5" Hertz and now I've got 6.5" Alpine Type X's.

The Hertz's were more difficult to fit because of the mounting depth (I wanted to retain the factory door grills).

If you're going to install decent speakers you'll need to make/buy some spacers.
I made mine from mdf

It's easy enough to mount 6" or 6.5" but just make sure of your mounting depth.

Pic of Hertz

edit: Oh, I fade my rears out. I don't sit in the back seat so don't need them
what thickness mdf did you use to do the spacers mate, bout to do some in my car, was it very difficult to router the inside out of them too?

cheers
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
what thickness mdf did you use to do the spacers mate, bout to do some in my car, was it very difficult to router the inside out of them too?
The spacers are 13mm mdf.

Check the mounting depth of the speakers as that will determine how you need to go about it. The Hertz in the pic were done that way as there was less than 1mm clearance to the window and about the same to the stocko door grills.

It may be that you won't need to rout the insides but no, it wasn't difficult with the right gear - I still have all my fingers
Old 25-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

lol, yer for sure, cool as, ill go get some to do it now, that'll be for another weekend, tryna get the sub box done first, just finished the false floor apart from cutting the top for the perspex above where the amp will sit...
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok guys thanks for that,any one fitted 6x9s in the reaer doors and 5" in the wagon speaker compartment?
Old 25-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

matey i wouldnt bother with 6x9s to start with...
and they will ruin your audio staging in the rear doors being that close to your head which is closer than the front speakers(sound comes from infront of you not behind ... thats why you face a band ;) )

the spacers are only as thick as they need to be
mine are 10mm .. i have 6.5" focal splits (to mount round speakers properly you need to make a spacer to fill in the gap around the speaker so it sounds right)

good luck mate
Old 25-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK,If I can get 6.5" in the front doors,I can make spacers no worries,I just didnt want to hit the window or have the cut the door in any way and use the factory door grill,And then fit 5" in the rear I would be happy....... for now
Old 25-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had to trim some of the surround of the grill (but you cant see the bit i trimmed)
Old 27-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Mate, bugger the 6x9's!

Get a good set of 6.5" components for the front stage, run them off a decent amp and the sound will be fantastic!

I have 6.5" MB Quarts running off a RF Power T400-4 and it sounds fantastic!! But, yeah as everyone has said, you will need to make up some spacers to make it fit and sound right.

Everybody i was talking to in the audio scene said bugger the rear stage.. Unless passengers are often in the back, it is really of no use. Especially if you have some huuuuuuuuge subs The vibration from the subs can actually interfere with the coils in the rear fill apparently?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah well if you watch the rear lil speakers when not connected.. the air moved by the subs pushes them as tho they are working but they arnt... i know that can NOT be good for them haha!!
Old 28-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #14
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to note, the rear speakers in my wagon (and all to my knowledge) are 5.25" stock, not 4". I bought some aftermarket 4's which were too small, though I put them in anyway with some dodgy spacers.. Not that they're audible with my perspex cargo barrier in place!
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Just to note, the rear speakers in my wagon (and all to my knowledge) are 5.25" stock, not 4". I bought some aftermarket 4's which were too small, though I put them in anyway with some dodgy spacers.. Not that they're audible with my perspex cargo barrier in place!
That's great, didn't realise they were 5.25's - I'd assumed they were 4's, and I just bought some too :

Ah well, serves me right for not checking! Plus I can chuck in my MB splits instead (mids only).
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Mate, bugger the 6x9's!

Get a good set of 6.5" components for the front stage, run them off a decent amp and the sound will be fantastic!

I have 6.5" MB Quarts running off a RF Power T400-4 and it sounds fantastic!! But, yeah as everyone has said, you will need to make up some spacers to make it fit and sound right.

Everybody i was talking to in the audio scene said bugger the rear stage.. Unless passengers are often in the back, it is really of no use. Especially if you have some huuuuuuuuge subs The vibration from the subs can actually interfere with the coils in the rear fill apparently?
Hee hee ... you should try it in a ute ... I get a back massage everytime i drive.

I did go rear-fill in my ute though ... as sometimes i don't crank the bass up that much ... I just put 5x7 Pioneers in ... and hooked them up my Pioneer 4-ch. I run 6" splits in the front doors with MDF spacers to hold my tweeters in next to them behind the factory grille. I fade it mostly to the front anyway and just allow a low amount of fill from behind.

Sounds the goods ... although my HPF on front channels of my Pioneer 4-ch has died .... so i think it will be cheaper just to get another amp (have had that Pioneer amp for 5-6 years ... so has served me well).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quick question for those who have done it, whats the maximum depth you can mount a 6" speaker into the front doors without them hitting the windows?
Old 29-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Quick question for those who have done it, whats the maximum depth you can mount a 6" speaker into the front doors without them hitting the windows?
The mounting depth of my Hertz's (6.5") was 67mm.

From memory (I'll check later) I had to rebate the adapters to 6mm depth.

Soooo, 67mm - 6mm = 61mm (between door inner skin and window - allowing a cigarette papers clearance).

I'm working tonight so I'll confirm all that later but it won't be far out.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
ronwest

Ok, to confirm the measurements:-

Door inner skin to window = 61mm
Door inner skin to stock speaker grill = 13mm

Therefore front speakers cannot be anymore than 74mm overall (if stock grills are used).

(My Hertz's were 72mm total depth but by the time I put some bitumastic sealant between the speaker and the rebate, and, the adapter and the door skin it ended up "just" fitting).

As a by the by, both my Hertz and Type X's tweeters "just" fitted in the factory A-Pillar position.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hold on ... if the inner door skin to the window is 61mm ... that means the speaker is mounted 13mm back from the inner door skin ... that means from the front of the speak to the window there is actually only 48mm ... if my Maths are correct.

Going on the above figures ... unless the above figures are incorrect.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

doesnt look good for my RF splits then, looks like I'll have to make up some sort of grille. They're fairly deep.
Old 29-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it was bluedriver? had the grill cutout directly infront of where the speaker was

and there was another AU that had pods made that fitted where the stock grill is then wrapped under the handle part to make it sort of flow..
ill upload a pic
Old 29-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 29-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

those look good, my rockfords have a grille which id put over them if they end up sticking out. Im thinking if I use the stock grilles, glue some MDF to the back of them then cut through them to fit the speaker that will work ok. The only thing I cant work out is, if I do that, how can I mount the speaker to the actual door just to give it a bit of strength?
Old 29-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you made a REALLY REALLY thick spacer(or used steel(seen it done on audio sites)

you could screw the mdf your talking about to that and the speaker thru that to the big fat mounts etc...

OR
remove the grill(they just clip out once you remove the single screw holding them on)
and make the required mods to make it fit behind them.
Old 29-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

i wonder if i could modify the speaker grille so it is a seperate part to the doortrim (ie not connected at all), so that way if i need to take the trim off i can?
Old 29-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #27
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you filed off the clip tangs you could definatly do that..

as the grill clips on the edge that you can see (going away from the camera)

pull off a trim and have a look.. its quite obvious and would be easy i think with some mdf and fibreglass
Old 29-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

yeah ive had it off before, i reckon that would be the way to go. make an MDF spacer, mount the speaker in it, attach to door, then put the speaker grille over the top and get it to the right height.
Old 29-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #29
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
that means the speaker is mounted 13mm back from the inner door skin ... that means from the front of the speak to the window there is actually only 48mm
Lemme think about that after coffee

Last edited by ronwest; 29-07-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #30
ronwest

Ok, had my coffee

Because my spacers are rebated, the Hertz's mounting surface sat 6mm into the grill -> inner skin space.

Given that the mounting depth of the Hertz's is 67mm, the calculation has to be 67mm - 6mm = 61mm (inner skin to window depth).

The 13mm distance between the grill and the inner skin won't change so it still comes out at 61 + 13 = 74mm (grill -> window)

Last edited by ronwest; 29-07-2008 at 09:33 PM.