Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default South Aussie Ford Dealership...

Hi, I'm after SA's best Dealership, recommended by Ford Forum users.

Looking to purchase a new Ford Focus, I've given my usual place a chance (after a bad experience several years ago) and they've let me down again. So I'm looking for another place to take my business, I live about 10km's out of the city.

Anyone out there that is very happy with the Ford Dealership they have dealt with?

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
HUNTER8

Default Re: South Aussie Ford Dealership...

I have always been happy with Maughan Thiem on Port Road.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
monk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
I have always been happy with Maughan Thiem on Port Road.

Second that!!!
XE Fairmont Ghia - 4.1L EFI
AUIII XR6 - 5 speed in Blueprint
SY Territory TS RWD
BA MKII XR8 ENFORCER
EL Fairmont
monk3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
290v
290v

I third that they have been looking after SA for so long now their history shows that they use to service and repair Model "T" to today's modern cars
Old 17-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

maughan thiem, heard nothing but great things about them and i believe they sponsor the site too.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I purchased my last ford from Jarvis at boganville (elizabeth). Although I am now interstate, that dealership left a sour taste in my mouth so I can't reccomend them.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I purchased my last ford from JERKOFF at boganville (elizabeth). Although I am now interstate, that dealership left a sour taste in my mouth so I can't reccomend them.
Edited for accuracy
Old 17-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Maughan Thiem it is. Thanks, will go see them on the weekend.

Old 17-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Yep heard good things too about them.

I got mine from Jarvis Hawk......never again.i tell ya.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

I got my F6 from Maughan Thiem... Was a fairly painless ordeal and customer service so far has been acceptable.

One dealer that i will never ever ever recommend to anyone is Adrian Brien Ford (which is part of the Adtrans group which includes BS Stillwell Ford and Rebel Ford and some other dealerships)
I bought the troublesome G6ET from there new back in 2009 and the Service Manager was a rude arrogant ***** (when the engine went bang 4 days after buying the car and then allsorts of other electrical/mechanical gremlins arose after they had worked on it) that treated my wife and i like we were some jobless bums, even though her and i each would earn more $$$ per year than he would.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
I got my F6 from Maughan Thiem... Was a fairly painless ordeal and customer service so far has been acceptable.

One dealer that i will never ever ever recommend to anyone is Adrian Brien Ford (which is part of the Adtrans group which includes BS Stillwell Ford and Rebel Ford and some other dealerships)
I bought the troublesome G6ET from there new back in 2009 and the Service Manager was a rude arrogant ***** (when the engine went bang 4 days after buying the car and then allsorts of other electrical/mechanical gremlins arose after they had worked on it) that treated my wife and i like we were some jobless bums, even though her and i each would earn more $$$ per year than he would.
I left Stillwell last Saturday with a horrible perception of their business. As you mention; they judge people, and they're not good at it.

Old 18-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember back in 2003 when my dad was looking to buy a GT-P he went to Rebel Ford first, saw him in an old polo and stubbie shorts and laughed when he asked for a test drive, when they saw him get into his brand new Ford LTD they stopped laughing and ran out to apologise..

Then we went to Maughan Theim, they gave him a test drive no worries and he ended up buying one fully optioned.

I also bought my latest car from Maughan Theim and they have been very good in my opinion.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Sad to hear that Elizabeths Ford dealer has gone down hill, back before the other mob bought it out it was a great place, and the name Rebel Ford always sounded tough.

I dont buy new, and would never pay large dealer asking prices or seek out their service depts so i cant offer any definite advice sorry.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
290v
290v

Rebel Ford is in Elizabeth owned by Adtrans who own Stillwell & Adrian Brian
Jarvis is located at Geppscross, and Port rush Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I purchased my last ford from Jarvis at boganville (elizabeth). Although I am now interstate, that dealership left a sour taste in my mouth so I can't reccomend them.
Old 18-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit off the track....Stiiwell Ford Commercial
years ago (1979) I used to drive the old transit vans usually 4 cyl models, the place I worked for used them around oz, well the boss bought a 6 cyl model that I drove over to Sale Gippsland swoped it for the 4 cyl trade in and drove back to Adelaide.
When I arrived Stillwell Trucks parked it in front yard went in to see sales manager.... snigering he says havent driven one of those bombs for years give me the keys and I'll shift it. Hops in.... turns the key.... BANG motor completelt disintergrates peices went everywhere....ha ha ha
Old 28-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Hi, I'm after SA's best Dealership, recommended by Ford Forum users.

Looking to purchase a new Ford Focus, I've given my usual place a chance (after a bad experience several years ago) and they've let me down again. So I'm looking for another place to take my business, I live about 10km's out of the city.

Anyone out there that is very happy with the Ford Dealership they have dealt with?
I don't mean to offend anyone, but what is wrong with today's salespeople?

In 2004 I purchased my first new vehicle; Territory Ghia. Loved the look of the Terri, filled out the online form and I read everything I could get my hands on. My wife and I were just about sold before we walked into Stillwell Ford Medindie.
From there, they took us for a drive and let us drive, checked out our trade in, and over the next couple of weeks gave us a couple of different models to test drive for a few days each.

Our thanks to them was to purchase the Territory Ghia from them.

Fast forward to 2011, I'm looking at the Cruze, it's built in Oz and looks good. So I fill out an online form and get a call from Metro Holden Port Rd, we attend the launch of the hatch. We like what we see (sedan), all we require is a test drive to make sure that we're going to be happy. Being close to Christmas, I tell the salesman that we're definitely interested in the SRiV, but have to wait until January. He says he’ll call.

January comes, I get a call from Metro, we talk, and things don't go well. They can only give us a car to test drive for 30 minutes, and they don’t have the model we want and he’s pushing the hatch.
So we go to City Holden, what a difference! These guys are fantastic to talk to, they give us two different models to test drive for about 2 hours each. In our minds the deal is pretty much done, we want one but not sure on the colour. Then my wife mentions "we should look at something else, just in case".

That week I fill out the Ford online form, Stillwell Ford call. My wife organises a Saturday visit to check out the Focus, I've done all my usual researching and I know what we want (if we like it); the Titanium.

Early Saturday morning, the kids stay at home, we head off to Stillwell. Walking towards the show room there's a flash looking car on display, at first we thought it was the Focus so we're looking at it. As we realise it's a Mondeo a hair challenged salesman comes out for a smoke and says to us "oh, that's a very expensive car"; what a great start, is he judging us? “Thanks, we're looking for G.......”.

G.... comes out and we get all the usual talk, that's fine. I tell him what we want; Titanium sedan, possibly with the sunroof, and can we option it with the 16in Sport wheels. Wheels shouldn't be a problem; we get shown several models and colours. And a million questions asking what we do for work; more judging? I string him out and eventually tell him what we both do.

We're given a Sport to road test (no Titanium available for test), we pick up the kids then head to the Adelaide Hills. My wife is very impressed with the Focus, she’s sold I’m not so sure about it, my daughter hates it, my son loves it. The ride is good but I remember the Cruze being smoother and quieter. On the way back we drop into City Holden to compare the two cars and ask for another road test; they’re very good about it. I can’t tell the difference between the two cars, they both feel equal. My kids haven’t changed their mind, my wife wants the Focus.

G….. calls and says he has a special deal for us.

Heading back to Stillwell’s we’ve pretty much made up our mind; the Focus is the car for us.

At Stillwell George is surprised that our kids are 14 and 12, he thinks we’re younger than what we really are; this shows his poor judgement (oh well, get everything right from now and you’ll have a sale in a few weeks).

We say that we want the Focus, but a road test of Titanium first; he acts surprised. We are not spending that sort of money on looks alone. He mentions the “special deal” again, but it’s on the Sport and gives no figures, we don’t care as it’s the wrong model.

G…. promises the Titanium road test for next weekend, he’ll call my wife on Monday to work out the details.

Monday comes, Tuesday goes.

After the recommendations form this site, I ask my wife to call Maughan Thiem Ford; she is very impressed. The salesman asks her why we’re not going with Stillwell, and is lost for words after hearing what happened.

Wednesday; my wife has a missed call from Stillwell, she calls back. G…… has a “special deal” on the Ambient Hatch; what doesn’t he understand from our discussion? - Titanium Sedan, possibly with Executive Sport Pack (sunroof) and maybe 16in wheels.

My wife tells G…… about Maughan Thiem Ford, he’s flabbergasted and starts going on about MT “will never be able to match Stillwell’s price”, Adtrans is the biggest in SA, blah blah blah. My wife asks “what is your price on the Titanium?” G….. “I’ll call you back by the end of the day”. I told her to get him to call me when he phones back.

No call that day or the next.

On Friday there’s a missed call from Stillwell. My wife is over it by now, plus Maughan Thiem Ford has a Titanium sedan ready for the weekend.

I can not believe the service from Stillwell; not once had we mention money or deals, we were not dressed poorly, we don’t speak bad English, we didn’t drive up in a bomb, we didn’t mix our words, no trade in to mess up the deal.

However, we did tell them what we wanted; the Titanium. We just need to work out a few things like wheels, colour, and options.

The deal was pretty much done; all he had to do was follow through with his promises.

If we were happy with it as is – SOLD, if not we would have asked for the 16in wheels, then – SOLD.

We are now test driving the Titanium over the weekend; I’ll post my thoughts on the car later, here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354263

Last edited by johnydep; 28-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should mention dates; we first saw the Focus at Stillwell's on the Saturday 14th Jan, the Titanium road test was promised for the weekend of 21st Jan. Correspondence from them was patchy over the two week period up to Friday 27th Jan.

Old 28-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got mine from stillwell on main north rd i would go back excellent service i walked in all dirty an looked like a bum they didn't care what I looked like lol. George was a great bloke to deal with.
Old 28-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And they wonder why they aint selling fords. I don't think its the product, its just many many years of poor dealer service
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had worse from the Ford dealer in Woden ACT a few years back. Went in to see about an XR6T ute, none to drive. They tried to make me sign up before a test drive. I went to walk out and they tell me to come back in a few days. I come back and still no car to test drive, again they try to get me to sign. I go to walk out and they ask me to hang on. Then they tell me we can take a customers new yet to be delivered car for a test drive. The dealer says its barely got any fuel so we can only go around the block. That's the best test drive they'd offer me. I slow lap around the block. I walked away and ended up going to Melbourne to buy my car.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Johnydep, Id love the relivent dealers to see a copy of your post, preferably from Ford Head Office.

If Ford HQ saw this type of report they (might) try and get their sales people trained better, or maybe they dont care, we can always plead hardship and Gov will bail us out again.

Someone please see to it.