Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Default Adult apprenticeships - whos done one?

I'm seeking a change and have considered doing an adult apprenticeship. I am seeking advice or experience from those of you that have done one.

How much do you earn? Can you actually live off it? What industry/apprenticeship was it? How did it work out for you?

Write up your experiences and advice in here. Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Adult apprenticeships - whos done one?

Its going to be hard to land because they have to pay you more over a junior apprentice. I've done the automotive apprenticeship but not as an adult apprentice, just the regular junior apprentice.

If you're going to do it, don't do it in the automotive industry as the pay is crap and the conditions are worse, unless you get in somewhere with heavy vehicle/earth moving/agricultural equipment and A/C experience otherwise you'll be going backwards in pay.

Seriously you might as well as work at IGA stacking shelves than be a LV mechanic working at a small local shop as the pay rate is the same.

Find out what field you want to do it in and do a pre-apprenticeship Cert II course at TAFE, its pretty much a prerequisite to get a look-in as it knocks over just about all of your first year of schooling.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a TAFE teacher (not in a trade area), there are heaps who do adult apprenticeships from what I see, I guess it all depends on what you want to do, I am not sure about the money.

My son did one (he was 22 when he started) as a builder, he was on **** money for the first couple of years, probably more to do with the **** bloke he worked for I reckon
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One of the guys I went to trade school with at Richmond Kangan Institute was an adult apprentice auto electrician, first year he was on $13/hour but that was back in 2011 so things might be different now.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I was looking into this last year, I got told by a few electrical agencies the employer paid the same for junior/adult, it was up to Centrelink to make up the rest.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
boss310
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Seriously you might as well as work at IGA stacking shelves than be a LV mechanic working at a small local shop as the pay rate is the same.
Really?

In my opinion the cream always rises to the top, a basic, 38 hour mechanic with no drive or ambition will most likely stay on **** wages, someone with a bit of go in them, would be off, earning better money utilising the skills he or she learnt over 4 or 5 years.

I would defo take an adult apprentice, good young blokes, today are few and far between and don't seem to want to work for it.

Spike
boss310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Definitely staying away from the auto sector. Looking into building. Plumber/gas fitter has triggered some interest.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done it but mine was a bit different, I'd been building since I was 17, sub contracting to bigger companies, on wages as an employee etc. I'm my mid 20s after working with one guy for 3 or 4 years and getting paid full qualified chippy rates I asked him if I could get my paperwork side of things signed off while I was working for him, he had no dramas at all, he did lose me for trade school blocks which was only about 8 or 9 weeks worth coz I RPL'd nearly everything else, and the kickbacks from the government well and truly made up for the time I was away from work, I couldn't tell you what the minimum hourly rate of pay is for an adult apprentice but Ive heard it's still pretty ****, either gotta have a full time working partner to carry you through or if your single it's at the point where you'll have to move back home with the parents and lose your party life for a year or 2,
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
Definitely staying away from the auto sector. Looking into building. Plumber/gas fitter has triggered some interest.
I've been told several times that plumbing and electrical is where there's money to be made.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
boss310
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of that is pretty normal Lyle, I started 22 years ago earning a little over $4 per hour as a fitting/machining apprentice, I had to live at home, had an XA coupe with a 4v clevo I could only afford to drive for a few minutes each Thursday, but that was life, It's definitely worth it if you can scrape through. It gets heaps better.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss310 View Post
Really?

In my opinion the cream always rises to the top, a basic, 38 hour mechanic with no drive or ambition will most likely stay on **** wages, someone with a bit of go in them, would be off, earning better money utilising the skills he or she learnt over 4 or 5 years.

I would defo take an adult apprentice, good young blokes, today are few and far between and don't seem to want to work for it.

Spike
I live in the real world and worked in Melbourne where shop Auto Electricians get paid $19.50/hour around Melbourne, and auto electricians get paid more than LV Mechanics bud.

Which is why I left
Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
boss310
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I've been told several times that plumbing and electrical is where there's money to be made.
For sure, heaps of avenues for cash jobs after hours and good pay to start with.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the light vehicle 'apprenticeship' schemes these days are a rort.

38 hours a week to mop floors and get treated like your nothing more than a shops lackey all the while being told your lucky to have a job and someone paying for your 'education'. Unfortunately this is all too often the case of disgusting employment conditions and poor support.

I felt exactly what that was like in 2004 working for A large luxury dealership in Parramatta. I lasted three months, resigned and never looked back. I finished my trade certificate working for a one man show working solely on Honda and Subaru in a single hoist shop. I learnt more in three years there than I ever would have learnt at the large dealership. He respected my effort and paid me tradesman wages, it was my responsibility to pay my reasonable tafe fees and buy tools as I went along.

I do however wonder what the conditions would be like a chippy though, but I'd only do that through the ADF where the salary and benefits are second to none during the training phase, fully qualified I'd jump ship.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
Quote:
My son who is the builder said if he had his time again he would do an electrical or plumbing apprenticeship, good money and big demand post apprenticeship, subby builders get **** money, their wages are driven down by the big domestic builders (and by themselves under-cutting each other)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not wrong there trev, ive got mates still in vic working for 35 bucks an hour as subbies to the big mobs, the only way they make money is the tax benefits they claim back at tax time and meeting the clients onsite for the new houses they build then doing there patios, decks, retaining walls as cashies after they move in
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK my 2 bobs...I'm a adult apprentice @ 41 and earn $35 or so a hr.But it's worth every cent in the industry I work. If I get a job after my time is up (thanks to the gov) my wage will only go up $200-250 odd a fortnight

Just saying...
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Good money playing with turds, Ever seen a poor plumber ?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

id be a plumber if i could do it again, being a chippy is good but to make big money you have to be prepared to lose it all.

re adult apprentice, if you can be told what to do by a trade 10 years younger then go for it.
nothing worse than having a 40 year old apprentice not listen to you coz you are young
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've thought of doing adult apprenticeships but was turned off by the amount of people who don't want to employ me! But that's painting for you, been doing it 5 years and the only work I can get is sub contracting at around $25ph which is seriously making me think of a career change.

Hell I've even thought about stacking shelves at woolies as nightfill....They're on the same rate.....My only advice if you go ahead? Be prepared to put up with a lot of **** and work hard, but supposedly its worth it in the end! I wouldn't know I'm not up to that bit yet!

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #20
capesy

I think the first year adult apprentices i work with are on around $15 dollars an hour as a diesel mechanic
capesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #21
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Great insights fellas, keep em coming.

My brother in law is a builder, does very well, mostly cash in hand after hours. Will ask him to ask around for me.

Should mention I'm 32. I do not have an ego and am willing to listen to anyone who shares their knowledge regardless of their age. I have a brain too, not like a lot of these young snots getting around these days.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #22
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
My son who is the builder said if he had his time again he would do an electrical or plumbing apprenticeship, good money and big demand post apprenticeship, subby builders get **** money, their wages are driven down by the big domestic builders (and by themselves under-cutting each other)
Any of the licensed trades would be OK. But being an old(er) bloke, I say choose one that you can stay in in later life. I have three under my belt, Fitter and Machinist, Air conditioning/Refrigeration and Electrician. Being a sparky suits me now as no heavy tools or equipment to cart around and really, you only need a screwdriver and pair of pliers to make a quid.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Any of the licensed trades would be OK. But being an old(er) bloke, I say choose one that you can stay in in later life. I have three under my belt, Fitter and Machinist, Air conditioning/Refrigeration and Electrician. Being a sparky suits me now as no heavy tools or equipment to cart around and really, you only need a screwdriver and pair of pliers to make a quid.
True that. I'm not very big physically so lugging around long beams of timber aint for me. I've got to use my brain rather than brawn.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #24
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
I've thought of doing adult apprenticeships but was turned off by the amount of people who don't want to employ me! But that's painting for you, been doing it 5 years and the only work I can get is sub contracting at around $25ph which is seriously making me think of a career change
There are painters in town here charging 100 bucks an hour!!
Plumbers and sparkles the same or more, chippies 70-90
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
56L
a.k.a PAULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Good money playing with turds, Ever seen a poor plumber ?
The main reason that electricians and plumbers get good money as they are less likely to be screwed by builders as the builders need both of those trades to sign off on the job with there license number to be complete.

If builders screw over these trades they need to find someone else to sign off which will cost a fortune.

Other trades get screwed all the time ,i was a plasterer for 12 years and i had to subby for chinese rates or not at all ( sydney,newcastle).

I was a construction foreman on the BER program and personaly witnessed Afgan painters painting small buildings inside and out for $1000.

These painters are hardly ever likely to become plumbers or electrians.
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute

Last edited by 56L; 05-11-2014 at 11:40 PM.
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
56L
a.k.a PAULY

As time as a foreman on Woloworths/Coles refurbs i have seen some trades earn very good money, commercial flooring subbies earn bucket loads ,alot of people dont see this as all the work during refurbs is done at night.

As for trades on wages it would be hard to beat commercial refridgeration mechanics ( and thats not counting the tons of scrap copper they haul away on each job)
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #27
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I live in the real world and worked in Melbourne where shop Auto Electricians get paid $19.50/hour around Melbourne, and auto electricians get paid more than LV Mechanics bud.

Which is why I left
This must be the exception not the rule?

I've been looking around a couple of places in Melb as diesel mech and told I'd be on $35-40/hr plus over time and call out rates. Sparky/AC tech be similar or more for a decent one going off other places I've worked, they usually command higher rates.

To the OP, too many people don't see that an apprenticeship is only 4 or so years, and if you're good, maybe half that of crap pay. Not a long time to make financial and lifestyle sacrifices to compensate for the low wage. Show initiative, study in your own time every week, don't be a know all, take interest and pride in what you're doing and if your employer is good then your pay will adjust to suit. It's not all doom and gloom, those who whinge about how hard apprentice wages are were probably the sacks of **** for their year and the first ones to grab a broom because they couldnt be ****** doing anything else.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #28
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2001 I started my electrical apprenticeship at 22years old. $8/hr for the first 2 years but I didn't care, I lived at home and saved my money. Well worth it and is paying off now I work for myself.

My old boss would hire adult apprentices and only had one dud. Had many dud young blokes that's for sure! One of my apprentices started at 51 and he was awesome. Never complained once, got the job done, was always on time and reliable. And because of that I treated him like a tradesman and he respected that and worked hard while I was in charge.

Just check the pay rates where you are. I know the sparky scene in Melbourne is a bit down after a couple of big players shut their doors. My advice would be to get a job as a TA in whatever you want to do to see if you like the work before committing to an apprenticeship.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
This must be the exception not the rule?

I've been looking around a couple of places in Melb as diesel mech and told I'd be on $35-40/hr plus over time and call out rates. Sparky/AC tech be similar or more for a decent one going off other places I've worked, they usually command higher rates.

To the OP, too many people don't see that an apprenticeship is only 4 or so years, and if you're good, maybe half that of crap pay. Not a long time to make financial and lifestyle sacrifices to compensate for the low wage. Show initiative, study in your own time every week, don't be a know all, take interest and pride in what you're doing and if your employer is good then your pay will adjust to suit. It's not all doom and gloom, those who whinge about how hard apprentice wages are were probably the sacks of **** for their year and the first ones to grab a broom because they couldnt be ****** doing anything else.
HV Mechanics are different, they're the only auto tradies on decent coin, and same with the auto elecs servicing that industry, but light vehicles, forget it.

Even auto elecs with AC license, $19/hour is the going rate for just light vehicle industry and they can't afford to pay you more.

The problem comes from where you do your apprenticeship, if you do it in the LV industry you'll get stuck there as you just don't get the look in for the HV stuff,as you don't have that experience.

You really need agricultural/earth moving and heavy vehicle experience to get the good $$$ otherwise you join the mass of LV boys and get stuck there.

I was the first apprentice through my shop to get the AC certificate and licensing, and did it all on my own back and cost.

I guess it comes down to $$$, the people who own heavy vehicles will spend what ever it takes to get their vehicle back on the road, if you give a customer a bill over $500 to fix their car they spit chips and your the worst person in the world.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
In 2001 I started my electrical apprenticeship at 22years old. $8/hr for the first 2 years but I didn't care, I lived at home and saved my money. Well worth it and is paying off now I work for myself.

My old boss would hire adult apprentices and only had one dud. Had many dud young blokes that's for sure! One of my apprentices started at 51 and he was awesome. Never complained once, got the job done, was always on time and reliable. And because of that I treated him like a tradesman and he respected that and worked hard while I was in charge.

Just check the pay rates where you are. I know the sparky scene in Melbourne is a bit down after a couple of big players shut their doors. My advice would be to get a job as a TA in whatever you want to do to see if you like the work before committing to an apprenticeship.

I started out on $7.05/hour in 2010 man.