Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Second Hand Helmets

Recently on another thread there has been some discussion of the merits of using second hand helmets to save money. The following is an excerpt from my reply on the subject.

LETS GET THIS CLEAR FROM THE START – IT IS NOT OK TO USE SECOND HAND HELMETS

Why would an informed person consider purchasing a second hand helmet, especially one that had been discarded by the previous owner? Sure the helmet may pass a visual inspection and get past the scrutineers, but they don't know the helmets history. They don't know the helmets age, if the helmet has suffered an impact, been dropped or been cleaned with an inappropriate cleaner. Keep in mind that helmets should be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on use, they are only designed for ONE impact and a drop from as little as 4 feet is enough to damage them. Cleaners, paint, stickers and transfers, or surface treatments can react with helmet shell material and affect its protective capacity. In addition, the protective foam of a helmet adjusts over time to the contours of the wearer’s head. If someone else uses the helmet it will not provide the new wearer with as much protection. It is for these reasons that if you buy a new helmet, you should destroy the old one to ensure that it cannot be reused.

New AS1698 approved helmets can be purchased for under $100, which is not exactly expensive. I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone could be that short of cash that they couldn’t afford such a helmet. It’s more likely that they can’t justify the expense to themselves and that they have spent far more than $100 on other car related expenses such as alloy wheels or suspension modifications. How much you are prepared to pay for a helmet depends on how highly you value the helmets contents. I’m budgeting around $1000 for my next race helmet. For that sort of money the helmet is HANS Device ready. It is also very lightweight. This can help reduce whiplash in an accident and reduce the load placed on the neck when driving a car that can pull towards 3g.

Those that think that a helmet isn’t that important when open tracking a passenger car are kidding themselves. People with that sort of blasé attitude shouldn’t be allowed near a racetrack and neither should those that can’t afford appropriate safety equipment. Motorsport is a dangerous sport and helmets are compulsory for a very good reason. There are plenty of objects for a head to hit inside a car including other occupants. A blow to the head can lead to death or Acquired Brain Injury. Why on earth would anybody skimp on safety equipment?

xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I'm all for purchasing a new helmet, and then maintaining it over the life of its use.

A damaged 2nd hand helmet can splinter and cause more harm than good, and guaranteed there will be no visual signs of wear or tear until its too late.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Point well made, and I agree 400%. There is no discount in brain damage.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Another point to be made on helmets is Open face vs. Full face. While both helmets may be to the same standard and protect against cranial impacts equally, an open face isnt such a crash hot idea if you like your teeth/nose the way they are... I'll admit in this case it is more of a problem for motorbike riders, however steering wheels are not exactly tasty.

Last edited by XR6Gal; 25-08-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: C'mon bish, thats a bit wrong for you to say that
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I was in sales for swann insurance (motorbikes) and we would get Learners that had just purchased a $8 to $10,000 motorbike blow all of there budget on a fantastically fast pocket rocket and then spent as little as $500 an "safety" gear, $200 jacket and a $300 helmet, the first bike that I owned cost me $3000 and my helmet ALONE cost my $980 (shoei X8), all up $4500 on custom leathers with body armour, boots and 2 pairs of gloves, summer and winter.
Sorry back onto the CAR helmet and I have a Bell sport 3 with the bolts for the HANS device $850.

When I was in school I did a report with U.S stats (1986) on full face VS open helmets on motorcycle accidents, I will never wear an open face helmet EVER!!!

This was based on 50,000 motorcycle accident's over 3 years,

Full face = 98 % had, sore neck, soft tissue damage, bruising, and 3 % of the 98 % had some spine damage.

Open face = 40 % fatality, 60 % sore neck, soft tissue damage, bruising, with 35 % needing plastic surgery to fix facial injuries and repair /replace broken facial bones and other parts of the skull.
In the U.S they have some states that only requires the passenger to wear a helmet NOT the rider, as well as having a "helmet" that's called a scull cap, It comes down to the tops of the riders ears...very small and stupid.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..

Last edited by shane3; 25-08-2006 at 06:03 PM.
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

New full face helmet is the way to go IMO, any helmet that has been dropped may have been compromised, stay away from second hand.
I have seen the aftermath of a biker hitting the road with an open face helmet.... :MrT_anim:
As said above, a steering wheel is no pillow either.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
EL_futuraistic

You cannot put a price on your head...... I would have to say its almost the most important part of ur body to protect.

You should always go brand new, and try and get the best one you can afford.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep...you've got to be responsible.

Based on Australia's ****ed legal system, I can see some idiot using a second hand helmet then suing because it didn't protect them adequately.

And knowing the ****ed nature of our courts and the retarded judges that ejudicate, they'd probably win too!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I would never run re-treads on my car, same goes for 2nd Hand Helmets.
I would never use/purchase/recommend a second hand helmet.
Old 25-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

I have a helmet which is about 10 years old, its a full face helmet and only has had very minumul use when I had the only car in victoria registered without a front windscreen.

It has never been dropped or damaged but it has been sitting in my cup board for about 9 and helf years.

I now use it on the rare occasions I go go-cart racing.

Are you guys saying I should throw it out and buy a new one?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am very new, a week old to the sport of Drag Racing.

What is the best helmet/type to get?

Best place to buy one new?

And how much should I expect to pay?
Old 25-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I am very new, a week old to the sport of Drag Racing.

What is the best helmet/type to get?

Best place to buy one new?

And how much should I expect to pay?
Hi Red, Got a new full face with Aussie standards approved sticker from eBay for $75 delivered.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
I will never wear an open face helmet EVER!!!
100% agree, ever since I was shown a picture of a biker with his jaw wrenched off I won't go near open face.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id rather my second hand $700,shoei helmet than a $70 - $120 elcheapo anyday.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
I have a helmet which is about 10 years old, its a full face helmet and only has had very minumul use when I had the only car in victoria registered without a front windscreen.

It has never been dropped or damaged but it has been sitting in my cup board for about 9 and helf years.

I now use it on the rare occasions I go go-cart racing.

Are you guys saying I should throw it out and buy a new one?

Yes you should throw it away, actually give it to me and I will donate it.

We are talking about buying a 2nd hand helmet that we dont know its history!
Old 25-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

So I need roughly $650, for a new helmet and 3 runs down the quarter?
Or in this case 2nd hand will be alright?
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
So I need roughly $650, for a new helmet and 3 runs down the quarter?
Or in this case 2nd hand will be alright?
Yep

I can pick up a decent helmet for around $100 which you can keep for life and the $550 will cover the donuts for the day

If you ride a bike on the street, your head has no limit for safety.

Drag racing is a motorsports event and obviously there is a risk involved, AFF don't sell you helmets, however other users have some advice they wish to share, take it as you will.
Old 25-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Helmets do have a safe life span, I think it is 5 or 7 years, after that they should be replaced.

There is an old saying regarding helmets, if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I stand corrected, thanks Ratter.
Old 25-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Only competition racing has a life span rule on helmets.
Novice racers can use a helmet with australian standard sticker on it for as long as we like.
its up to you...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #21
Free347

Another thing to consider here is that (good) helmets are actually designed to form to the shape of your head. Part of the function of the lining and bed of the absorbing material is to gradually adjust to the presure points brought about by a persons unique head shape and once set it can't reset. It's easy to underestimate how much of a role this subtle adjustment goes towards a secure and safer fit. Stick a used helemet on a 'strangers' head and you've instantly lost 20% of it's protective quality.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #22
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Only competition racing has a life span rule on helmets.
Novice racers can use a helmet with australian standard sticker on it for as long as we like.
its up to you...
Agree that this is what happens, but they still have a safe life span, but not many people realise this.

Old 25-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

[QUOTE=Laminge]Yep

Nar I dont ride a bike, just need it so I can go to WSID now and then
Donuts mmmm
Old 25-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you've got a $10 head wear a $10 helmet.

Ditto for the secondhand type.
Old 25-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #25
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I think people will always try to take the cheap way out. Its only after the accident... when they are lying in a hospital bed... as a half vegetable that they say "I should have gotten the $600 helmet instead of the used one from eBay"

I went snowboarding a few weeks ago and I bought a new helmet because "how much is your head worth?" I dunno about anyone else but mine's priceless so I got the best one I could find... $140 for the only one that fit properly.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=D1XR2C]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Yep

Nar I dont ride a bike, just need it so I can go to WSID now and then
Donuts mmmm
They will let you race with a 2nd hand helmet, but that does not mean the helmet is safe,plent of people use 2nd hand or very old helmets when they street race.

new helmets can be purchased for less than $200 and may not be as great as a $1000 helemt, but would be safer than 2nd hand.

How do you know if the 2nd hand helemt has been dropped, a helmet should be replaced if it has taken a knock

Old 25-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #27
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Just 1/4 mile runs is all I will be using it for. Think ill just go 2nd hand but newish, its my work vehicle and my own car. So extra pressure not to ****** up....
Old 25-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #28
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I still have a preference for an open face Bell Mag 4 - I don't like the lack of peripheral vision in a full face unit for track work and am happy to accept the additional risks associated.

They aren't cheap but they are amongst the most comfortable I've stuck my head into.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I still have a preference for an open face Bell Mag 4 - I don't like the lack of peripheral vision in a full face unit for track work and am happy to accept the additional risks associated.
Most European Rally drivers, and navigators, seem to prefer the open face type and they do sillier things with cars than circuit drivers do.
Old 25-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #30
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a helmet has been dropped or suffered a knock that can scratch the surface....it should be binned its integrity has been compromised.

As for jet v full I'll take full everytime saved me in a bike prang..

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote