Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A cloner gets caught

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ng/?refer=news

If only they would take it that seriously here.This bloke was only advertising the car!

Old 13-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: A cloner gets caught

They do take it seriously here too...

There have been court cases - where cars that were advertised as 'genuine' were proven to be NOT genuine...

Recently as last year in fact.
There was magazine articles, court transcripts, etc etc.
Old 13-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ng/?refer=news

If only they would take it that seriously here.This bloke was only advertising the car!

umm, having fake tags is fraud, police and RTA TAKE THAT seriously here.
The guy advertising the car was the guy committing the fraud, he wasnt "just" selling it, he did the work.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loftie,the magazine article you are referring to was about one car that was actually sold to someone as a real GT and turned out not to be.They then sued the guy they bought the car from and won.As far as I remember it was a civil case,not a criminal one.
The point I was trying to make was that there are dozens of compliance plates offered on eBay each year as well as probably hundreds of cars driving around that are being passed of as the real deal when in fact they are not and not a lot seems to get done about any of that.
If I dudded up an old XB that I legitimately owned and put it on eBay exactly like in the US example I reckon I would be stiff to get charged with anything,let alone 4 offences like Mr Patton.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eBay relies on people to report items like ID tags being sold as its against eBays policy to sell them on there.

I have reported tags before and the auction gets pulled usually within 12hrs.

making a GT replica is one thing, FAKING ID TAGS is another.

Plenty of people sell their fake GTs claiming its a GT and no where in the add does it say its a replica until you read the description and usually most people will ask to see the ID tags. However if your stupid enough to buy it sight unseen and then when you get it home realise the tags are for a Falcon 500 and not a GT you can still sue for a fraudulent listing. However again that is different to faking or swapping ID tags.

However if you think Police dont take rebodies seriously then you need to think again. There have been plenty of task forces set up to combat car theft rackets.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
Loftie,the magazine article you are referring to was about one car that was actually sold to someone as a real GT and turned out not to be.They then sued the guy they bought the car from and won.As far as I remember it was a civil case,not a criminal one.
The point I was trying to make was that there are dozens of compliance plates offered on eBay each year as well as probably hundreds of cars driving around that are being passed of as the real deal when in fact they are not and not a lot seems to get done about any of that.
If I dudded up an old XB that I legitimately owned and put it on eBay exactly like in the US example I reckon I would be stiff to get charged with anything,let alone 4 offences like Mr Patton.
True - but it's not illegal to be an idiot.

As a buyer you need to perform your due diligence when buying a car, though it is a different story when 'fraud' is being undertaken.

The same could apply to those who buy written off cars at an auction, fix them up, and then sell them (normally cheap) interstate. This happens all the time, and i'm sure that not everyone that buys one realises they're buying something that's been a repairable write off.

Even that new ad on TV (with the blue Volvo) selling "Car History" reports isn't enough to protect you from that sort of thing, nor is the PPSR equipped to cover it.

Only the experts can pick the differences between Authentic cars, and even they will admit it is getting difficult to pick the rebodies and stamped cars from the real deal...

There are so many alarm bells that ring when you find something that 'might' be tainted... People get tricked because they get emotional, or think they're scoring a bargain... 99 times out of 100 you will get what you pay for...

People are generally quite comfortable to buy a car off someone who may not realise what something is worth... Though would be the first to kick up a fuss if someone did the same thing to them or their friends and relatives...

To make sure this never happens to yourself, it's very simple.
Check things out thoroughly, get an independant or 3rd party inspection done, and get an expert to check it out if it is a 'significant' car.

At the end of the day - you might still get burned - but if you've done everything you can to protect yourself - sometimes it's just bad luck!

(PS - Tell that to the couple of guys out there who have paid top dollar in the peak for PH3's that aren't exactly what they thought they were)