Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Mr H

Default BF GT-P or FG F6 or new XR6 Turbo or BOSS 335

Hey all

Just thought I would throw this question out there cause Im just researching at the moment and will eventually throw some money down on a weekend toy/cruiser. I currently have a very clean AU Ghia, trouble free always serviced very reliable which I will continue driving as a daily, but have reserved a spot for my future ride in the garage, just a little confused as to what it will be.

My question is aimed particularly to those who have owned or drive on a regular basis the aforementioned vehicles. I plan to keep "the toy" forever (cliche?) and enjoy it for what it is with a very SMALL maybe, some bolt ons but nothing full on.

WHY? well love the sound of the 8 in the GT-P, just can't beat that muscle car sound. The FG F6 is sexy and so much modding potential (but I'm not really chasing that) and a new XR6 turbo means I get to option out the car the way i want it. And last but not least, the BOSS 335, love everything about it except the price, its worth the asking price plus more but this option would have to wait until the price drops below $50k which would mean holding out a bit longer.

If it were you what would you get and why? Keep in mind I love all 4 choices.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (7.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (7.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (4.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (11.8 KB, 66 views)
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: BF GT-P or FG F6 or new XR6 Turbo or BOSS 335

XR6T will have the worst resale of all of them (i know you said youd never sell but we both know that isnt true).
Me personally, id hold out and wait for the 335 to drop in value.
If your aiming for a weekend toy, why not have the biggest monster of them all.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

If it were me and it was for a weekend toy i would get a gt. As i have an xr6t as a weekend toy now.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned a B-Series 8 and don't rate it at all. I'd be going for the FG GT and painting the racoon eyes, hate the racoon eyes. That or maybe a GS with some brembos...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can buy a bucket load of 5 litre GSs for $50k. You get the 8, the new technology and the flexibility.

The only thing you do not get is a GT badge but you don't get one with an XR6T or F6 either.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You can buy a bucket load of 5 litre GSs for $50k. You get the 8, the new technology and the flexibility.

The only thing you do not get is a GT badge but you don't get one with an XR6T or F6 either.
Quoted because he's right. GS is the go, add the leather and Nav, Disconnect the bi modal add a tune, and the things a 370 ~ 390rwkw monster. You can add wheels suspension etc down the track.

2nd option is a used GT.
Old 20-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Mr H

never really considered the GS, sounds like an idea, although I have to say Im leaning towards the Boss, at the end of the day I prefer something out of the box with minor mods.
Old 20-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

cheap GS with couple of options like the above post stated and leaves room for future power expeditions.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Drove the GS, felt like it should have been labeled an XR8 without all the options, didn't have anything on the F6 or GT interior-wise or exterior-wise. This is my own personal opinion but the GS didn't make me go "ohh yeah!". Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing car, has all the basic bits and bobs so if going fast is your only concern it's great! But it feels like a very basic, entry level package if you drive the non-optioned ones, which is the idea but with the FPV badge adorning it I would have and did expect more.

GT was outside of my price range and the F6 felt like luxury and power combined, so that was what swayed me.

For a daily driver, I do sometimes think an XR6T would have been better, 19" tyres and a very low front bar can make life difficult at times such as speed bumps, low driveways and the ride isn't always comfortable thanks to low profile tyres, but that's not what you're worried about so all good.

If I had the money I'd buy the GT-P, as others have said, why not wait until the big mother comes down in price, then you get speed, luxury AND the V8 growl.

I've got a bias towards V8's so if I had the chance to get a weekender it'd be the GT-P for sure, as much as I love my F6 you can't beat that V8 note!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My opinion is if you like the V8 sound then go the GT but if you wanna save a few bucks and still have plenty of potential then go the F6.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly, if you can hold out, and you want the V8 note go the GT. If you are not too worried about the V8 note, hands down the F6 is the pick. cheaper rego, cheaper insurance and just as much, if not more, power out of the box.

I have owned 2 bosses, the last being a BF MKII Super Pursuit and the 290 is a slug, I will never own another one.

I've previously had a BA MKI XR8 ute, BF MKI XR6 Turbo, BA MKII Typhoon, BF MKII Super Pursuit and now the FG MKI F6 ute, and the F6 is the pick of the bunch.

Granted the FG part of it makes a huge difference, but for pure bang for buck and ease of mods I couldn't go past the F6. Put a Di Fillipo big boy exhaust on it and it will sound close enough to an 8 anyway.

That's my opinion, no doubt someone out there will see it differently.

Turbo XD Ute - Project Thread
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait for a FG GT/GT-P

If its purely a weekend cruiser you need something that stands above the rest. The xr6t and f6s are fairly popular cars compared to the gt. The F6s are animals and the stylings are almost identical to the GT but unless you want pure speed the GT has gotta take the cake
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Mr H

its good to see everyones input, Yeah looks like im gonna hold out wait for the right Boss at the right price. The problem at the moment is that I don't wanna be a tyre kicker and go test drive all these cars and then not buy one. So I'm gonna go with my heart and take the GT route....It will definitely have to be black and manual...and a bit of waiting!!!!! btw spent this afternoon walking around some dealerships that were closed (so i dont get bothered by hungry salesman) gotta admit was drooling over the FPV range and moreso the Boss in particular......lol
Old 20-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

YOU HAD ME AT V8 . when i saw that comment about the sound , it ruled the f6 and xr6t out for you .
so its a GS then or GT , forget the GTP as youve mentioned price .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr H
never really considered the GS, sounds like an idea, although I have to say Im leaning towards the Boss, at the end of the day I prefer something out of the box with minor mods.
Why anyone would buy a GS is beyond me? It basically says “I REALLY wanted a GT, but couldn’t afford one.” It’s not a bargain “bang for buck” machine like an XR8. IF you’re going down the Miami path, save a bit longer and go the GT, you won’t regret it.

I owned a BF GT 302, and would still have it but for the GFC. Sigh. AWESOME car. Only mod I would make was to the exhaust, to give it more of a rumble.
One thing to note about the quad-cam Bosses through, unlike most V8’s (including the SC Miami) their top-end bias was noticeable.

You will get a lot of people telling you why a turbo 6 is better, and why a V8 is better, ad nauseam. It’s a personal choice. Personally I prefer the resonance of an NA V8.

For that sort of Money, personally, I’d be looking at an FG GT 315.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Why anyone would buy a GS is beyond me? It basically says “I REALLY wanted a GT, but couldn’t afford one.” It’s not a bargain “bang for buck” machine like an XR8. IF you’re going down the Miami path, save a bit longer and go the GT, you won’t regret it.

I owned a BF GT 302, and would still have it but for the GFC. Sigh. AWESOME car. Only mod I would make was to the exhaust, to give it more of a rumble.
One thing to note about the quad-cam Bosses through, unlike most V8’s (including the SC Miami) their top-end bias was noticeable.

You will get a lot of people telling you why a turbo 6 is better, and why a V8 is better, ad nauseam. It’s a personal choice. Personally I prefer the resonance of an NA V8.

For that sort of Money, personally, I’d be looking at an FG GT 315.
Because it is a GT without Brembos.

12 sec 1/4's for $55k
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:

No, its an "I REALLY wanted an XR8, but they don't make one anymore!".

Just sayin'.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Agreed As far as Im aware you can get a GS from a dealer in NZ for price that xr8 was. . . .

only issue is it comes with this thing that whines attached to the manifold
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #19
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Why anyone would buy a GS is beyond me? It basically says “I REALLY wanted a GT, but couldn’t afford one.” It’s not a bargain “bang for buck” machine like an XR8.
That's ridiculous. To sane people, it says "I wanted a supercharged V8, not a turbo 6".
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i bought my Au i really wanted an XR8, but went the practical route(midlife crisis happening be practical ), i bought an XR6, while it`s been a ripping car, every time an xr8 pulled up along side of me i really feel like kicking myself for not getting what i wanted the first time, the moral of this story is don`t weaken and buy something you won`t be completely happy with.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
gtfpv
GT

mate i love the GS . some of them look just as good or better than GT's . i couldnt blame anyone for buying one .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Rodge
Banned

Just save till you can afford a GT 335, I think you allready know that's the answer. If you simply can't wait an F6 or a GS are good back-up plans.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Why anyone would buy a GS is beyond me? It basically says “I REALLY wanted a GT, but couldn’t afford one.”
So anyone that buys an XR6T "Really wanted an F6 but couldn't afford one"
Or anyone that bought an XT "Really wanted a G6E but couldn't afford one"
Or anyone that buys a G6E "Really wanted a GTE but couldn't afford one"

I think we can we dispense with the shallow sledging of GS buyers according to the whims of the rich and image driven.

A GS with Brembo's would give you the performance of a GT (with tune) at the rough price of a G6ET with Brembo's. And yeah, you really want the Brembo's. Pity there's no Ford/XR8 badged equivalent.

Lukeyson
Old 21-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Why anyone would buy a GS is beyond me? It basically says “I REALLY wanted a GT, but couldn’t afford one.” [/COLOR][/B].
I think the GS is the better buy. Why pay another $10k for just a badge and different front and rear bar. Drivetrain is identical.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I think the GS is the better buy. Why pay another $10k for just a badge and different front and rear bar. Drivetrain is identical.
Different tune, seats, stereo and brakes I think.....
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

So just a weekender?

XR6T is a daily car, not really weekender material, the F6 IMO will be a future classic once we sign off the I6 so while you dont get the sound you will get a cult car depending on how long you keep it for.

BF GTP...not bad, Im sure I saw a BF 40th anni GT for $50k or less not long ago, maybe get some of these dreamers with Cobras down aswell...they are worth maybe $5k over a normal GT and thats being nice. That leaves alot of money for mods.

The 335 is out of reach like you said unless you wait, the GS to me is the same as the XR, not really "weekender" material.

So, you want an 8, something collectable....then sir the best car for you is actually a T3. You will get the best return from this car, both financially and mechanically.

In saying that id go even further and look at some classic Ford V8 fun, $50k gets you ALOT of classic falcon, XB GT, perhaps a sedan XA. Heck you could find a XR GT too I reckon.

If you want guilt free classic driving then a very good replica can be had for that money easy!

What I am getting at is IMO anything new is built to be driven daily now, if you plan to keep it 100% a weekender then why would you put your money down the drain with modern stuff?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 21-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
FacultY

GS with Lux pack!
Old 21-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id go the bf Gtp find a mint condition example and hold onto it. Best looking plastic gt out there. Im actually putting my turbo pride and joy up for sale soon to get rid of dept save my money for 12 months with just a motor bike then get a bf Gtp when i can before it. Love my turbo and will really miss it but every time i see a bf Gtp i cant imagine driving anything else
Old 21-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
blk6t

If your keen on the Boss V8, I would then look at the FG GT or GT-P with the 5.4 which has the twin throttle body setup etc. A good car in my opinion with a better stripe package than the 335...

You can get a FG GT 5.4L for much less than $50K.

Heres a link to a sexy GT

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d....5&sort=~Price
Old 21-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
BEN189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't spend over $50k on a car that is going to be a weekender. If you get a S/C GS or GT, you'll want to drive it everyday.

If you purely want a weekender where you don't lose a poo load of money, a BA or BF GT would be the way to go. I'd upgrade to a FG XR6 Turbo as a daily and get a older GT for a cruise car. If you want best of both worlds with one car, the S/C GS or GT is the way to go. Not sure exactly how much you want to spend or how patient you are though.

350rwkw with Rapid cooler, Herrod CAI, Deka 80lb injectors, full xforce 3.5" exhaust, actuator.
BEN189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post