Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is this Bog legal

Ive got quite flaky paint on the Bonnet front and lots of 2mm thick Bog lifting just back from the front , it looks sharp if I hit a pedestrian

My question is will they defect me and get it over the pits ( dont want that )
because of this , I can get an Emery flapper wheel on a 4 inch angle grinder to rip the bog out and smooth it and paint roughly to make it legal if necessary

Thanks

Old 21-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Is this Bog legal

It doesn't sound structural. You will be fine. If you hit a pedestrian the last thing you would worry about is bog mate. The rest of the car will certainly stuff them up.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Thanks
The roadside vehicle checks here in the ACT can be fussy for oil drops and things, like flaky paint , bog cutting pedestrians if you nudge them

Bolts in the bumper sort of cutting pedestrians too , will use round heads where possible ,

Will do it ,

I dont think you have lived until you have bogged up your car real good
Old 21-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
vdo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Consistently offers competent electrical and technical advice regarding Ford electrics, especially instrument clusters. He's retired but offers his services for repairs for next to nothing. 

I believe it pays to present your car to inspectors in the best possible light.

In Queensland we have Dept of Transport cars cruising the streets looking for unroadworthy cars and we also have random vehicle inspections on the side of the road with mini hoists, jacks and all.

Teak81 is correct, they won't be worried about it if it's not structural... theoretically.

Some inspectors however, will take a certain preconceived view to a car, comprised of thier overall first impression. I know from having roadworthy stations, that if the car looks like a bucket, then they tend to go on a witch hunt, to ensure they are they are in the clear in case the car gets pulled over and inspected on the road, which is probably likely if it looks a bit rough, and then the blame come back on them. Having a car looking a bit rough is often a good excuse for the cops to pull it up and check it out, which is something you don't need, so think of the inspector as a cop and he will feel that if it looks shoddy, then there must be more to find.

I understand that it's not always feesable to spend a lot of money on the body until the mechanicals are right, but maybe a little smoothing off and a $15.00 lick of dupli-colour from the parts shop and you're starting to satisfy the workings of the inspectors mind. So long as it looks good on the day.

I have found this out first hand even in recent years, so I always try to present the car for roadworthy inspection, as best as I can, given the circumstances and the restoration plan. I even vacuum the interior and degrease the engine and suspension. Nothing will **** an inspector or cop off more than getting filthy and greasy during a cursory look over a car. It shows your intentions are good and when things get borderline, you will hopefully get the benefit of the doubt and there's also less chance of the cops sniffing your ****.
vdo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
It doesn't sound structural. You will be fine. If you hit a pedestrian the last thing you would worry about is bog mate. The rest of the car will certainly stuff them up.
A mate of mine years ago had a slight accident where he had a small hole punctured his guard of the car, was not structural damage but got defected for reason being it had a sharp edge raised on the hole in which the police stated could injure a person if contact is made.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post