Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Falcon87
Falcon Unbelievable

Default Gas backfire and now running VERY rough...

Car backfired last night now sounds like there is a spark plug or lead loose! And we all know that the coil pack isn't the easyest thing to get too...So i haven't checked that yet! What else could it be? Is it even the spark plug/lead?

Falcon87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it might be all the E series parts sorry had to say it. on a more constructive note I would be puting it on a scantool to check the map sensor a bad backfire can kill them

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 21-12-2007 at 09:39 AM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Falcon87
Falcon Unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it might be all the E series parts sorry had to say it. on a more constructive note I would be puting it on a scantool to check the map sensor a bad backfire can kill them
Hmmmm should just buy an EL! Can i put the car on a car crusher instead?
Falcon87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Also check the PCV value at the top of the motor (near the oil filler cap) - it may have been blown loose. Check all vacuum lines as well. It is doubtful that a backfire would actually blow a plug out or a lead off (there's no actual way it can), so it has to be a vacuum/air leak somewhere.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
it has to be a vacuum/air leak somewhere.
Not necessarily... my first backfire killed my TMAP sensor, giving the same symptoms. The AU TMAP is inside the manifold unlike the E-series MAP... it speaks to the outside world through wires not a vacuum line. As au3xr6 says he will need to get it scanned to check this... obviously he should do as you say and check vacuum and air connections first, but if they are all OK it will cost him something to look further into.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
peterban
AULTD

JC's on the money as usual, most probably a vacuum leak or damage to the mixer if it has one!!
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Not necessarily... my first backfire killed my TMAP sensor, giving the same symptoms. The AU TMAP is inside the manifold unlike the E-series MAP... it speaks to the outside world through wires not a vacuum line. As au3xr6 says he will need to get it scanned to check this... obviously he should do as you say and check vacuum and air connections first, but if they are all OK it will cost him something to look further into.
True, but I was giving him the free options first. Also, the TMAP in the manifold could be the cause of the air leak (busted gasket), but it is unlikely the that the backfire would hit that first, when there are other, weaker points in the system, like the PCV and vacuum lines.

Still, check them in order, and the last to be faulted will most likely be the cause of the issue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Despite the other, weaker points, my backfire did exactly what is least likely, it killed the TMAP without damaging anything else or disturbing any vacuum lines, so I'm merely relaying my experience which differs from yours.

At least we are agreed on checking the zero cost options first LOL.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post