Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Aus Vehicles Price OS

I was just on the web site for Ford South Africa. From 309,500 rand you can have a new Territory TX RWD. After the currency conversion, it comes out at about $67,000 AUD. Ford Australia start these from $39,490. Why is it so dear to buy a ford OS than here. Must be all the taxes and duties maybe.

I checked and they don't do falcon. But they still do the KA and it comes out at over $22,000 AUD. I think new in Australia, these things were from $13,990.

Anyway, just a little curious. i can only imagine what the GT would cost over there.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I was just on the web site for Ford South Africa. From 309,500 rand you can have a new Territory TX RWD. After the currency conversion, it comes out at about $67,000 AUD. Ford Australia start these from $39,490. Why is it so dear to buy a ford OS than here. Must be all the taxes and duties maybe.
It would have to be the only difference between the AUS terri and the SA terri is Ford put double the gycol in the cooling system.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they are fully imported so transport costs would come into i would assume.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

They may earn more rand per year than what the average Aussie earns in dollars per year. Did you look at the cost of other makes in SA compared what we pay?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

what kind of tariffs do SA have?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

I checked and they don't do falcon. But they still do the KA and it comes out at over $22,000 AUD. I think new in Australia, these things were from $13,990.

Anyway, just a little curious. i can only imagine what the GT would cost over there.
Heres a NZ example

Aussie base price converted to $NZD

TX AWD $NZD 47,737
TS AWD $NZD 55,702
Ghia AWD $NZD 61,117

What we actually pay

TX AWD $NZD 55,490
TS AWD $NZD 59,490
Ghia AWD $NZD 64,990

Freight has got to be a big factor, also you guys seem to pay huge sums of money on "On road costs" which are non existent over here.

But we are still getting ripped :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It would have to be the only difference between the AUS terri and the SA terri is Ford put double the gycol in the cooling system.
Aren't there other things like more under body protection around the engine, smokers pack, etc?
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Probably a combination of duties, taxes, freight, and local markup! Just what we are up against here when it comes to some of Europes finest, in what we pay compared to a lot of other countries.

It's another item added to my list of "reasons to declare open war on our government".
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Hey the Holden Statsmen sells for around $100,000 in Japan. With every possible option. Or has someone been pulling my leg?

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd assume it's the same reason Merc's are so damn cheap in the US compared to here. (in some cases - twice the cost over here as the US comparable price)
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #11
nobbystang

Normally tarrifs are the killer, think from memory doing econonmics in '94 places like malaysia had 300% to protect their car industry. Australia i think has zero tarrifs as we're the economic guinea pigs. vaguely remember teacher telling us that heaps of pressure was applied to Aus to reduce Tarrifs yet no one else was, could be wrong but pretty sure we have a luxury tax to compensate

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Did you look at the cost of other makes in SA compared what we pay?
No just Ford SA. The only reason why I looked is because I noticed there is a new member on the forums from SA and he has an AU Fairmont. I got a little curious to see if there were ford dealers in SA selling Aussie cars.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #13
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

SA has massive tarriffs. Thats why BMW, Merc make cars there. Something like 50% from memory.

Have you seen the Terri reviews tho? They love the dam thing. Big, torquey, roomy, smooth, comfortable. They are now keenly looking at the Turbo territory (which will be a hit over there) and the falcons as well. They got AU's but they didn't sell all that well over there either.

Australia will have 0% import tax by 2010.. I think its at 5% now. When NZ went 0% it totally killed their car industry.

Can't compare prices to the US market. US gets basically free cars. 0% finance on many, huge discounts on all. Extremely competitive. Ford and GM don't make any money out of NA sales directly.

German Marques make healthy profits on Australian sales. They don't try and compete with mainstream brands here, theres no point, Australia hardly gets any manufacturing volume. For them its more important to be a great brand with the best cars and best service than win customers on price.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Aren't there other things like more under body protection around the engine, smokers pack, etc?
Nope. Any other extra's are done at the dealership, but they are the same car when they get exported. The new (SY?) has more underbody protection than the pervious model anyway.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes, the Overseas models come with more standard features like full body colouring, alloy wheels etc, so at the end of the day the price hike difference probarly isnt that much.

Ford options most of the more prefered options up as they cannot really order any factory fitted accessories, and or have to wait longer.

New Zealand is the same, XR Turbos and XR8s for example come with premium sound standard and side airbags, where as we have them as an option here. Ofcourse this is then loaded into the standard retail pricing neways!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
When NZ went 0% it totally killed their car industry.
I wasnt fully aware of this, but 20 years ago, nine car companies ran 13 assembly plants here. Amongst these were two Ford Plants. All the body and engine parts were imported and some came from local suppliers. The factories would operate an assembly-only process. The last of the plants, four in total, closed in 1998.

There is still a Alloy wheel plant operating in South Auckland on the site of one of the old Ford factories. Aparently at one point it was the only alloy wheel factory owned by Ford. A large number of the wheels are made for Ford US, the rest for Australia and NZ. They sold it to Ion years ago, but this year it is to close because Ford has chosen to have wheels made in China (of course).
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #17
aualright

Quote:
SA has massive tarriffs. Thats why BMW, Merc make cars there. Something like 50% from memory.

Australia will have 0% import tax by 2010.. I think its at 5% now. When NZ went 0% it totally killed their car industry.
Didn't Howard get nervous and defer the Keating govt's plan in regards to tariff reductions. I thought the timetable you listed was from Keating which has since changed under Howard?

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im originally from South Africa. Been in Oz for 9 years now.
From memory, ALL cars which were fully imported were more expensive compared to the locally built ones. Due mainly due to import taxes.
I went back in 2004 for a holiday and was impressed to see a couple of AU XR's on the road. There was talk when I was there that the BA Falcon was going to be imported too but that didnt eventuate. I was talking to some of my friends and they had read about this Turbo Falcon(XR6T) & couldnt wait for it to arrive. I even saw a Holden VY SS Ute. It was rebadged as a Chev and wasnt called a dunnydore. Some other name.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I belive the basic time table for tarrif reductions are still in place. Not that it matters that much with FTA they will be 0% anyway. This is all blurry because manufacturers are often compensated by the government with grants which really is just another form of protection.

Overall tho, Australian manufacturing is pretty safe because of our unique platforms, large RWD preference, and unique requirements. People will always buy Falcons and Commodores and always will.

Falcon (BF) is still under assessment for S.A It proberly won't make it. Orion might tho but only in small volume and certain models. Its a hard market when you can pick up a 3 series or C class for less money than a Falcon or Commodore.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
I belive the basic time table for tarrif reductions are still in place. Not that it matters that much with FTA they will be 0% anyway. This is all blurry because manufacturers are often compensated by the government with grants which really is just another form of protection.
The tarif on SUV's is at 10% and regular sedans is at about 15%. But it will eventually go down to 0%.
But when the first tarif cuts were made and agreed by the Aussie manufactures there was a large fund program established (the name escapes me now) for them. Every time a tarif cut is going to be implemented the big wigs of the car manufactures go into a meeting with the government. This way they can be compensated a little. Saying that the tarifs they have on now are quite small.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #21
Lagom

Quote:
The tarif on SUV's is at 10% and regular sedans is at about 15%. But it will eventually go down to 0%.
5% on SUVs (has been for a while) with required ground clearance, etc and 10% on passenger cars (down from 15% prior to 2005).

The Falcon was sold in South Africa, but they pulled it back in 2003.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #22
Lagom

Quote:
Nope. Any other extra's are done at the dealership, but they are the same car when they get exported. The new (SY?) has more underbody protection than the pervious model anyway.
Aah, you think that the Broadmeadows plant is the last place in Australia they do work to the car ;)

Say, have you noticed where the 'factory sunroofs' are done on local product?
Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Aah, you think that the Broadmeadows plant is the last place in Australia they do work to the car ;)

Hence why I said the dealership would do the extras. Broady try to do as much stuff as they can as they get a bigger budget at the end of the day and don't have to pay the dealerships (remember dealerships aren't owned by Ford)

Never seen a 'Factory sunroof' on the car there so I believe that it is also done at the dealership (outsourced like the tint, alarm etc)
Old 11-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #24
Lagom

Quote:
Hence why I said the dealership would do the extras. Broady try to do as much stuff as they can as they get a bigger budget at the end of the day and don't have to pay the dealerships (remember dealerships aren't owned by Ford)

Never seen a 'Factory sunroof' on the car there so I believe that it is also done at the dealership (outsourced like the tint, alarm etc)
It's done in Australia, indirectly by 'Ford', and naturally dealers have nothing to do with cars going to South Africa
Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #25
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

There is a fair amount of work done in Aus for the South African Market. Some of these are pure cosmetic, yet some are to enable them to pass the South African design specs.
Some of these mods completed in Aus, include fitment of more bash plates, side steps, front 'smart bars'(bullbars) and a mandatory requirement for ALL SA export cars a car alarm. A few of the other less common cosmetic alterations done include different rims, and a bodykit.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #26
hotxy71
i want a blower.....

Quote:

Yeah actually, the cars ordered new with sunroof from the factory have the sunroof fitted at FPV across the road from the Broadmeadows plant. Went on the tour there last month. XT right through to the LUXO Fairlane. :

Stocky but tidy!

XY Fairmont Sedan
Electric Blue
302 Windsor
C4
Custom Exhaust
18" ROH RT's
hotxy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post