Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Blue light and insects

I was driving home through the country tonight and was bombarded by insects (attracted to my lights?). This got me to wondering if those new blue headlight globes attracted more or less insects? Or is there no difference? I would be interested to hear back from those that have them fitted.
Cheers - Eric

olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I oubt there would be a difference myself, but prove me wrong.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
CarBroker
Banned

I bought a white car earlier this year. Never had a white car. I can't believe the number of insects that are attracted to it (when it's stationary). Especially when it's warm outside. Never seen that on a blue car. Don't know if it's the same with lights.
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Yes, Blue light attracts insects more so than white light.
Insectocuters use a black light tube, which lights up as a blue light.
The least colour light to attract insects, is yellow, hence why some food industry use yellow colour light!

Regards

AGRO.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
I bought a white car earlier this year. Never had a white car. I can't believe the number of insects that are attracted to it (when it's stationary). Especially when it's warm outside. Never seen that on a blue car. Don't know if it's the same with lights.
Funny you mention that... I read a survey done a while back by some bored uni students that birds crap more on white cars than any other colour.... and I drive a white car.....

[QUOTE=AGRO]Yes, Blue light attracts insects more so than white light.
The least colour light to attract insects, is yellow, hence why some food industry use yellow colour light!

]
Thanks AGRO. I think I will stick with what I have and make sure the washer bottle is full all the time.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
FordFan86
meow

I'm not sure about blue car lights, but the blue backround of AFF is attracting a hell of a lot of fleas. Stupid cats!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
jmc-007

[QUOTE=olfella]Funny you mention that... I read a survey done a while back by some bored uni students that birds crap more on white cars than any other colour.... and I drive a white car.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO
Yes, Blue light attracts insects more so than white light.

Yes I can vouch for this I get bird pooh on my car more than dads silver car. Oh and at night driving through the country side the bugs come out of no where and splat over everything
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #8
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
I was driving home through the country tonight and was bombarded by insects (attracted to my lights?). This got me to wondering if those new blue headlight globes attracted more or less insects? Or is there no difference? I would be interested to hear back from those that have them fitted.
Cheers - Eric
Eric,

I have changed the globes in my phoon over to the Phillips blue vision. They run at 4,000K (any hotter and they are illegal, and could cause some damage to your lens cover) and produce a noticably whiter light than the standard globes, very happy with them. As for the bugs, absolutely they just swarm in : , I guess it kinda make sense when you think about it as people have been using yellow lights for years to try and reduce the number of bugs attracted to the light.

But, as I have had my girl treated with fireglaze and a good thick coat of Meguires...... just wash them right off. Was looking at the car bra as an alternative but I hate the "look" and they too can cause damage to your paint if not set up correctly.

I am willing to put up with the bug splatter as I am very happy with the improved night vision. I got the globes replaced for $180 here in Perth. Would recomend them if you do a lot of night driving like me.

cheers

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post