Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tune for a new cam?

hi everyone,
i started modifying my car a few weeks ago... AU XR8 Series 2.... been looking around for a new cam, just want a mildish cam, but still pretty good... just wandering if i need a tune for the new cam? i live in a country town and the nearest dyno is literally 1000kms away.... also any suggestions on a good mild cam? im aiming for about 250-280kws i already have full exhaust and ss inductions....ill eventually do a trip to get it tuned... but probably not for a while....

anyhelp would be Great!

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Would have to be a fairly big cam I reckon
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm yeh probably.... well might include some headwork.... i dunno any ideas?

Well wats the best cam i can get for my car without stuffing around with the ecu?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

are you aiming for that 250 - 280 at the flywheel or rear wheels?

Cause if its the latter, theres no way you could have a mild cam as you suggest and get anywhere near that figure. Even with good heads, exhaust and the biggest effin mother out there you would be hard pressed to get that figure out of a 5.0L

If your aiming at the flywheel however, that could be done. Still take a fair bit of work / decent wack of money though.

As for the biggest cam without modifying the ecu, well I'd reccomend getting it tuned anyway. You will not see the full potential of any cam without a tune to suit. Not too mention it will suck more fuel, be generally grumpier.

If your so far from a dyno, maybe you should consider a few other options like myself and a few other blokes around have been.
5.0WhiteAuGhia - has shown me a ecu solution, thats great for us, using moates gear, we can tune the ecu's ourselves. He's had great results, and the good thing is theres no need to get your car retuned every time you change something. Just plug the laptop in, re burn the chip with the new parameters and away you go.

Moates has even brought out a couple of new tuning solutions. The quarterhorse and another one (can't remember the name) That offer real time, on the fly datalogging and tuning :-)

This is not even possible with flash units, except xcal 3 i believe.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh sorry lol should of mentioned rw or fw... its flywheel kw im looking at... around 250 or 280fw lol... thanks for the info though... might just save and do a trip down south at the end of the year.... Have u got any ideas for a good cam?