Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb A ‘large’ Territory-based SUV?

Following a discussion about the new Ranger-based SUV and the Territory, I came to think whether or not there is a case for an SUV larger than the Territory in the lineup. Some say the Ranger SUV would rob the Terri of sales and vice versa, but if you look at what Toyota have, they have the SUV market completely cornered. Consequently, individual model volume matters less than overall dominance of the SUV category – which surprise surprise, is the dominant segment in Australia’s new car market.

Toyota have the 200 series Landcruiser, Nissan have the Patrol, then there is the new Range Rover, etc. Whilst Ford in the US have the Expedition(?) based on the F series, its not available in RHD and maybe that bit *too big* for our roads.

So instead of looking at a LARGE Yank body-on-frame SUV based on a commercial vehicle, could FoA utilise an existing platform to develop a new model? I’m thinking of a larger SUV based on the Territory’s platform with a larger diesel engine to suit, a true 7 seater, that maybe the mines could or would use as an alternative to the Landcruisers (esp the 76 series).

Before anyone says “it wouldn’t be worth it”, look at the sales figures from December 2012:

SUV Large Segment Winners:

1. Toyota Prado (1,313 – 16.1%)
2. Ford Territory (1,199 – 14.7%)
3. Holden Captiva 7 (944 – 11.6%)

SUV Upper Large Segment Winners:

1. Toyota Landcruiser Wagon (905 – 80.9%)
2. Nissan Patrol Wagon (213 – 19.1%

Now, I assume the figures for the Landcruiser Wagon includes the 200 series as well as 76 series. As you can see, the sales aren't that far off the Territory. And that 80.9% of the share of that segment the Landcruiser has is just begging for more competition.

I guess the whole point to the idea is leveraging a new model off an existing FoA platform that is already a proven performer to give Ford both an added feather to its cap (ie more vehicles being made, more people in work) as well as another segment to compete in. Using a platform that has been already developed means costs are much less.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A ‘large’ Territory-based SUV?

I promise I wont say it! But I think you're not getting the entire picture in your argument. Of the vehicles you have used in your post, all but one are sold in multiple countries and in numbers that add up to a reasonable production run. Only the Territory is limited to basically Australia, the sales to NZ and Thailand being just a dribble at best.

So using the Landcruiser for an example, (could only find data to 2006, so this will be out a bit) world wide, there were approx 94,000 sold worldwide and 171,000 Prodo's sold worldwide. They are lovely numbers for a manufacturer! Ford get no where near those figures for the Territory...

The Territory is also a bit of an orphan, it's using a platform that will not survive much longer unfortunately. I think Ford will follow Toyota's lead and try and leverage the lowest cost base platform, which will be thr Ranger platform and in the lowest cost location it can find as well.
Old 13-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if Ford US makes a successor to the Expedition, EL on the F-150's ladder frame, it could potentially fill that void.
One Ford, if it was going to be sold in other markets, it would be a diesel only affair - 3.2 L, 4.4 Lion V8, and a PHEV 3.2L.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think a bigger Explorer would be a better bet.

Fill the gap by making Edge slightly larger
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

So this thread is about taking on the landcruiser with a large soft roader? If Ford wants to properly challenge the Landcruiser, it will take at least billion dollars and 3-5 years. It will not be based on a soft roader, the Landcruiser's appeal is that it goes anywhere. I've driven a 200 series quite a few times, it is nothing like a Territory and anything Territory based won't appeal to the person who spends $100k on a 'Cruiser.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
So this thread is about taking on the landcruiser with a large soft roader? If Ford wants to properly challenge the Landcruiser, it will take at least billion dollars and 3-5 years. It will not be based on a soft roader, the Landcruiser's appeal is that it goes anywhere. I've driven a 200 series quite a few times, it is nothing like a Territory and anything Territory based won't appeal to the person who spends $100k on a 'Cruiser.
But some cruisers that i see are just blingy soccer mum/family rigs, or towing boats or caravans to a holiday spot.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
But some cruisers that i see are just blingy soccer mum/family rigs, or towing boats or caravans to a holiday spot.
In another 10-15 years I'm sure we will start to see more 200 series Land Cruisers touring some tough tracks and sand dunes. Most people who fork out 100K for a car don't want to risk damaging it too much. Give it time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Just a quick/rough chop...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
In another 10-15 years I'm sure we will start to see more 200 series Land Cruisers touring some tough tracks and sand dunes. Most people who fork out 100K for a car don't want to risk damaging it too much. Give it time.
I think the 200, and the new Patrol for that matter, have outgrown themselves. The serious offroading market seems to get a better product out of Prado and 70 series wagon.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I think the 200, and the new Patrol for that matter, have outgrown themselves. The serious offroading market seems to get a better product out of Prado and 70 series wagon.
Hilux seems popluar aswell...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hilux always has, but it lacks the grunt and space of a LandCruiser type vehicle.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Just a quick/rough chop...

That's what I'm talking about. No harm in imagining what an alternative to an LC might be.

As for serious off roading, I wonder how many "serious off roaders" can actually get by with a properly sorted AWD system?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Could the territory's AWD system be fitted with a Hi/lo, and perhaps a option for locking the center diff etc?

Sorta like a Full time 4WD set up...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford already have an SUV of the older Ranger sold in the Asia-pacific region, not sure about the new one

http://www.asiapacific.ford.com/serv...per&site=FEGAP

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Ford already have an SUV of the older Ranger sold in the Asia-pacific region, not sure about the new one

http://www.asiapacific.ford.com/serv...per&site=FEGAP

That ^^ is specifically what the T6 SUV will be replacing.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
You wont see too many 200 series where a proper 4X4 is needed. All working 4X4's up here are either 75 series or Patrols... 200 series are Toorak tractors at best. As is the new V8 patrol...
Old 14-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Could the territory's AWD system be fitted with a Hi/lo, and perhaps a option for locking the center diff etc?

Sorta like a Full time 4WD set up...
Would also need better ground clearance.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
lamborghinifan

Large SUV based on a Soft SUV based on a Sedan, a bit of stretch I think. It's already hard enough keeping all the car parts servicable on a 2Ton SUV.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post