Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
davistev

Unhappy Defected for no Mud Flaps

Yesterday my young son was defected (minor - only needs to show up at station with repair done) because his old car did not have mud flaps on the rear. This was in Adelaide, South Australia. I thought this was a joke but sure enough, Regency Park Inspection center requires mud flaps.

Then I noticed that many newer cars do not come with mud flaps - what gives? Indeed, my 2012 Maxima does not have mud flaps - does this mean I was sold a vehicle that is not roadworthy under SA law?

Sure enough, all of SA Police Commodores have mud flaps installed on them.

I am confused, the law seems pretty clear about mud flaps in SA, but many new dealerships sell mud flaps as an option. Can they do this? Or is there something that says that modern plastic rear ends are technically one big mud flap!

Confused in the land of the crows!

Old 16-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Default Re: Defected for no Mud Flaps

Mudflaps are an aftermarket item & dont come standard. I'd fight it..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Government cars have them for resale, less marks and scratches when they are sent off for auction.

There is no requirement for rear mudflaps, do we know everything? Is it a light commercial vehicle or light truck or 4wd - where the body sits higher off the ground which covers less tyre.
Old 16-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

The tyre has to be covered to a point no more then 300mm off the ground. Cars do this by their design.
Tray back utes , 4x4's etc dont so they need mud flaps.
Ive been done before for no mud flaps on my 4x4.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I was under the impression 4wd's had to have mudflaps, but passenger cars, id say nope given so many cars dont have it..

Subaru Outback '02
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
The tyre has to be covered to a point no more then 300mm off the ground. Cars do this by their design.
Tray back utes , 4x4's etc dont so they need mud flaps.
Ive been done before for no mud flaps on my 4x4.
Yeah, he was driving a tray top.
Old 16-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Thats why then.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
That would be your reason then a lot of stuff can flick up off the road with no mud flaps on a 4x4.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
staity

ADR 15.2.4 Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mud flaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

ADR 15.2.5 states that: Notwithstanding the requirements specified above (groups of axles) the wheel gaurd including a mud flap (if fitted) need not be less than 230mm from the ground for other than off- road vehicles, or 300mm in the case of vehicles designed for off- road operation.

ADR15.3.2 The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side car must be fitted with wheel guards of width not less than the section width of the tyre. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as practicable, against thrown up stones,mud, ice snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

Stolen from another forum

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
Old 17-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
davistev

Unhappy Re: Defected for no Mud Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by staity View Post
ADR 15.2.5 states that: Notwithstanding the requirements specified above (groups of axles) the wheel gaurd including a mud flap (if fitted) need not be less than 230mm from the ground for other than off- road vehicles, or 300mm in the case of vehicles designed for off- road operation.
In that case, my brand new Nissan Maxima straight from the dealer could be defected as the clearance on the rear wheel is 280mm - a mud flap is needed if the rear of the vehicle sits higher than 230mm

see http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L03056

It would seem that many new vehicles have failed to comply with this standard.

Last edited by davistev; 17-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Best thing about no mudflaps on my 4x4.... No tail gaters!
Old 17-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
In that case, my brand new Nissan Maxima straight from the dealer could be defected as the clearance on the rear wheel is 280mm - a mud flap is needed if the rear of the vehicle sits higher than 230mm

For your son to be defected for this, the copper must have had a bad day or your son had an attitude.

I'd be fitting some mudflaps, get the defect removed and move on....Don't even argue with the cop over it, otherwise they'll get nastier and try for other things...ie more defects

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 17-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G View Post
Be aware that you are liable for any damage you inflict on following vehicles, I had this happen to me.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The measurement is to the bottom of the quarter panel behind the wheel. I am yet to see a maxima with 280mm of ground clearance to panels.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No regard for other road users is a major problem on the roads today.

Maybe you wouldn't have tailgaters if you drove at the speed limit and kept left when no overtaking. I don't get tailgated and I stick to these simple rules.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
For your son to be defected for this, the copper must have had a bad day or your son had an attitude.

I'd be fitting some mudflaps, get the defect removed and move on....Don't even argue with the cop over it, otherwise they'll get nastier and try for other things...ie more defects

this x 2

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 17-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
For your son to be defected for this, the copper must have had a bad day or your son had an attitude
i am not having a go at your post, but it is amazing how many victims talk about the copper having a bad day

if the victims didn't give attitude, then the coppers would probably be having a good day
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Police are human and do show emotion, it is possible that he was having a bad day or just dealt with several rude people before hand, but many fail to realise that a good attitude can help with the Policemans final actions, a lot of people start with the negative attitude towards the police straight away.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
No regard for other road users is a major problem on the roads today.

Maybe you wouldn't have tailgaters if you drove at the speed limit and kept left when no overtaking. I don't get tailgated and I stick to these simple rules.
This method doesnt often work in country areas. I can be sitting at 110 on a one lane country road and have someone whose doing 120 on my tail (because they know theres rarely cameras or cops) and they cant go past because of corners etc.

Anyway, very interesting to learn about these mudflap rules, since I like them so much.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That explains it. You need mud flaps.

Go fit some and get the defect cleared, no biggie.

Quote:
Hopefully you get defected soon, as we don't need people inconsiderate to other road users on the road.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Was that sarcasm?

Because I think most tailgaters do it just to get their jollies out of ****ing people off. And even if that isnt the case & they are tailgating for the reason you provide, how does that make them any better?

Im not defending the post youre quoting, because yes that is inconsiderate as well.
Old 17-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Valid8
COOGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by staity View Post
ADR 15.2.4 Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mud flaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

ADR15.3.2 The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side car must be fitted with wheel guards of width not less than the section width of the tyre. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as practicable, against thrown up stones,mud, ice snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

I was curious so I measured the xr8. 230mm behind the wheel.
Old 17-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
Im not defending the post youre quoting, because yes that is inconsiderate as well.
it is, but if some mongrel wasn't driving right beside someone in the fast lane, then the amount of tailgating would drop dramatically

it is all about consideration - i have held up some, like everyone would have, but i do make a huge effort to move over and let others passed
it isn't up to me to drive 3 abreast with others while stopping anyone else from getting passed - i try and let traffic flow, not bunch it up
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8 View Post
I was curious so I measured the xr8. 230mm behind the wheel.
You all good. I wonder how many other passenger vehicles would not pass the 230mm rule.
Old 17-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
XR6Uteman
Ute Star

And here is me thinking the salesman was full of it when I wanted to order XR-6 ute with no rear mud-spat, and he told me it wouldn't be road worthy.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
i am not having a go at your post, but it is amazing how many victims talk about the copper having a bad day

if the victims didn't give attitude, then the coppers would probably be having a good day
I generally find, getting out all smiles and cheer, the coppers tend to smile back, therefore starting them on the right foot to begin with.....

So yes, starting with a good attitude to begin with, generally helps the coppers get over any previous bad attitude drivers....and keep the good attitude up, whilse on the side of the road.....saves standing there for a long time...even for a licence, rego and breath check....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 17-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Not tailgating doesn't mean a rock won't get flicked up and take a windscreen out.....The mudflaps are designed to deflect the rocks downwards...It also reduces the chances of the rock being flung at any other traffic on the road.

So I can see the reasoning behind having them and why the coppers would defect for not having them...

Old 17-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Yes, because no one blatantly speeds and sits on your butt no matter how fast you go...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 17-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Grinzy must have joined the police force.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I am buying a new 4x4 and not looing forward to buying mud spats, cost is $660 for the 4 of them.
Closed Thread