Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default re: new registration

Guys, I am thinking of purchasing a ZC Fairlane. Price doesn't matter for this question. It is straight, complete(all seat belts, knobs dials etc.) Has 351, apparently 4V heads, electronic ignition, 2 1/2 dual pipes ,extractors, 600 cfm holley, has been on gas with plate attached under bonnet. Interior is clean and tidy, and all "things" work as they should. The gear selector is the only dodgy part of the inside, apparently the cable is not genuine,off a truck to get the car home and not been rectified.(I can replace linkages/cables with spares I have.)Also appears to have a leak in hosing on the power steering unit, (again I have spares)
The car appears to have been lowered ,I'd guess 2 inches, has 18"rims(very wide) and apparent minor rust (under a reasonably good paint job) in the sills,doglegs, and a obvious spot on the front edge of the bonnet. I know there will be more under the paint, but my question is, given the condition, what needs to be done to register it. It was last registered in Qld, June last year, guy is doing renos and just let it lapse, I will be registering it as normal rego( not SI plates) but will walk away if there are major regulatory probs with getting it done. Obviously it will need Safety Cert, but what else is required to re register.
Thanks for any help

Old 17-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default Re: new registration

Please take the time to write your post out clearly, and where possible use correct grammar(rather than SMS text style post).
I, like many that post here, am far from perfect with written English, but that first post was EXTREMELY difficult to read.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
zdcol71
zdcol71

Wulos, I don't know how it came across in "that first post" ? This is the only post and I thought it was pretty clear and readable. Am I missing something?
Old 17-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i can read it pretty easy, not perfect but not unreadable
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71 View Post
Guys, I am thinking of purchasing a ZC Fairlane.
The price doesn't matter for this question.
It is straight and complete with all seat belts, knobs dials etc. The motor is a 351, apparently 4V heads with electronic ignition, 2 1/2 dual pipes and extractors. It has a 600 cfm holley, and converted at some stage to gas as indicated by compliance plate attached under bonnet.
The interior is clean and tidy, and all "things" work as they should. The gear selector is the only dodgy part of the inside. Apparently the cable is not genuine. It was a spare part off a truck (fitted when the vehicle had broken down) in order to get the car home and not been rectified since. I can replace the suspect linkages/cables with spares I have.
The Fairlane appears to have a leak in the hosing connected to the power steering unit. Once again, I have spares.
The car appears to have been lowered. At a guess, it is sitting approximately 2 inches lower than standard. Vehicle is fitted with very wide 18" rims.
Despite having a reasonable good paint job, the body has minor rust apparent in a few locations. The most obvious is in the sills, doglegs, and an obvious spot on the front edge of the bonnet. I know there will be more under the paint.
My question is, given the condition, what needs to be done to register it?
The Fairlane was last registered in Qld, expiring June last year. The previous owner was/is doing renovations and had let it lapse.
I intend upon registering it with normal rego (not SI plates), but will walk away if there are major regulatory probs with getting it to pass.
Obviously it will need Safety Cert, but what else will be required to re register?
Thanks for any help
Post interpretted & retyped to make it easier to read
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

If your safety certificate is in order, it should be just a matter of going to Queensland Transport with your prepaid CTP insurance and your completed registration form and register it.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
wookie836
Highway wanderer

*interpreted
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos View Post
Post interpretted & retyped to make it easier to read
Oh Please!!.... 60,583 members and my question gets a "watch your grammar"?? I have interpretted that as "never say then when you meant than", and well picked, but I think people get the drift.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
zdcol71
zdcol71

PS , Thanks Sezzy, I hope it is that easy.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71 View Post
Oh Please!!.... 60,583 members and my question gets a "watch your grammar"?? I have interpretted that as "never say then when you meant than", and well picked, but I think people get the drift.
Well I tend to agree that it looked like it was written by schoolkid on a phone.

You were not told to "watch your grammar", you were informed that it was of a low standard approaching SMS style.

Rather than take this as some form of personal attack why not take it as it was meant to be and learn from it as it was posted by a Forum Director.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure what part of registering a car in QLD is causing you difficulty. Whenever I have done it, the process has gone something like this:
1) Get a current safety certificate. You'll need a roadworthy car for that bit which may be your stumbpling block!
2) Fill out the paperwork.
3) Present said certificate and paperwork along with a wad of cash to the Dept of Transport upon which you will recieve plates, rego papers and CTP.
4) Fit plates to car and drive as you please
5) Fit rego label when it arrives in the mail a couple of weeks later

That is all!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 17-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
zdcol71
zdcol71

Thanks for the reply, Craig.
I assume that, with the work that I can perform myself, the safety certificate is not a major issue.
The paperwork, hopefully, given my apparent school child level of grammatic correctness, will not be a major issue.
I'm more unsure of the previous work done to the vehicle, ie, lowering of the suspension, oversize wheels, aftermarket electronic ignition, and sports steering wheel etc.
Will these need to be replaced, or can any one give me the right answers as to what is (Transport Qld) required to register a modified vehicle. How close to "sold as new" does a 43-44 year old vehicle need to be before it becomes a little more than filling out the paperwork and getting the registration plates/label /certificate.
Old 18-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those questions will be addressed when you present the car for a safety certificate I would have thought.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Anything not in the guidelines, you will have have to replace . How big are your wheels ? How low ? Ignition means nothing ! And how small is the steering wheel ?

If old mate who owns it hasn't changed anything since he registered it , then I'm guessing all will pass .
But going by your post I reckon he got a legit roadworthy and changed all those things after ...more info required dude ...