Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Default Ford's Sexy New Summer Addition

Ford's Sexy New Summer Addition

Ford's sensational new Focus Coupé-Cabriolet will sizzle hotter than a summer day when it goes on sale next month. German designed and engineered in conjunction with Pininfarina in Italy, the Coupé-Cabriolet will offer Focus customers a stylish, smooth driving convertible that retains the impressive dynamics associated with the established model range.

"Coupé-Cabriolet is the sophisticated new star of the Focus range and will become the hero car in terms of luxury flair and elegance, just as the Focus XR5 Turbo represents performance," said Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.

"Focus Coupé-Cabriolet is reflective of the fun-loving and carefree nature of those who drive it. It's the type of car that's perfect for those spur-of-the-moment, top-down road trips.

"The electrically retractable roof offers year-round practicality, which means Focus Coupé-Cabriolet is an extremely versatile vehicle perfect for all seasons, especially the long, lazy days of summer."

The exterior of the Focus Coupé-Cabriolet has been designed with style in mind. Riding on 17-inch or optional 18-inch alloy wheels and featuring smooth flowing lines adorned with chrome highlights and the exclusive Pininfarina badge, the Focus makes an immediate statement top-up or top-down.

Large chrome-framed upper and lower grilles and chrome waist seals highlight the prestigious nature of the new model, while body colour fixtures including bumpers, door handles, side mirror housings and bodyside protection mouldings create a contemporary appearance and complete the elegant look.

Chrome surround front fog lamps enhance the passionate character of the vehicle and a dramatic wheel arch design resonating with Focus DNA communicates strength, robust handling capabilities and an assured, athletic stance.

The signature feature of the car, the two piece hard-top, is operated by depressing a single button and takes just 29 seconds to open or close. The roof retracts fully into the luggage compartment, transforming the stylish Coupé into a sexy Cabriolet.

A luggage separator blind positioned in the boot acts as a sensor and will not let the roof retract unless it is pulled across the luggage compartment. This feature prevents the roof from opening and inadvertently folding on top of items stowed in the rear of the car.

The decklid itself is also safely pulled shut by an electric motor after being placed in a closed position, meaning there is no need to slam the boot, which in turn helps prevents accidental damage to the roof when retracted.

The distinctive rear of the Coupé-Cabriolet is characterised by unique tail lights, linked by a chrome strip bearing an embossed Focus logo, reinforcing the elegant Italian design by Pininfarina.

At first glance, the new Focus Coupé-Cabriolet looks more like a sports coupé than a spacious grand tourer but in fact offers a best-in-class luggage capacity of 534-litres with the roof up and 248-litres with the roof down. It also has rear seats that comfortably accommodate two adults with generous amounts of shoulder room.

The interior of the car oozes luxurious sophistication, ranging from the heated leather trimmed sports seats to the leather wrapped steering wheel.

Premium creature comforts include fully automatic dual zone climate control, cruise control, automatic headlights, automatic wipers, heated power mirrors, glove box with cooling function and a Sony six-disc CD audio system with eight speakers.

Power for the new Focus Coupé-Cabriolet is provided courtesy of a 2.0-litre Duratec four-cylinder petrol engine, which produces 107kW of power and 185Nm of torque. The engine has been designed to deliver torque in the low rpm range, allowing for smooth power and effortless overtaking, with 90 per cent of the peak torque available from just over 2000rpm.

The new model will be available with a five-speed manual or optional four-speed automatic transmission.

"We anticipate that demand will be higher for the automatic option, but nevertheless want to cater for those who desire a more involving driving experience," said Mr. Gorman.

"The popular Sequential Sports Shift feature of the automatic transmission allows the driver the choice of full automatic mode or sequential manual control of gear selections and will more than satisfy those who want the best of both worlds."

The fuel economy of the manual transmission is just 7.5-litres per 100km and the vehicle returns a figure of only 8.3-litres per 100km when the optional automatic is selected. The manual version also creates an environmentally considerate carbon emission of just 179g/km.

Dynamics attributes synonymous with Focus are also present in the convertible, ensuring it is equally well equipped for a relaxed and leisurely cruise or a more involving spirited drive.

Tensional rigidity is a key factor ensuring the integrity of the new car. Greater rigidity was achieved through the development and application of new construction materials and techniques, which helped to maintain the core Ford DNA requirement of a rewarding driving experience.

Safety features expected of a premium car such as driver and front passenger airbags, front side airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) are all standard, as is Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control and a Rollover Protection Device (RPD) for added safety.

The Focus Coupé-Cabriolet also has Ford's Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and a perimeter alarm with interior motion scanner for increased security.

The recommended retail price will be $45,490 for the manual and $47,490 for the automatic model*.

"Focus Coupé-Cabriolet is an exciting, dynamic vehicle which offers sophisticated European styling in a highly desirable package and further extends the widening appeal of the Ford brand," said Mr Gorman.

"Regardless of whether you're heading down town or out of town, there are few better places to be than top-down in the luxurious new Focus Coupé-Cabriolet."

Focus Coupé-Cabriolet will be available for sale in November.

* Pricing excludes dealer delivery and statutory charges

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Scott

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...1024&c=DFYPage
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

LOL @ 50k on the road basically for a 4cyl POS......they are dreaming....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Gm sell plenty of twintops,vw sell plenty of Eos',why shouldn't Ford cash in?

There is clearly a market,not everyone is a bogan and wants a big v8.
Old 16-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a suprise that the Astra Cabriolet, Eos Cabriolet and now the Focus Cabriolet can sell at this price range, with the real executive premium sedans starting at just another 10k more - Lexus IS250/C Class Coupe & Sedan, 3 Series etc. I know I'm comparing a drop top to a normal sedan, but if I was going to spend that sort of money on a car that size, I think I would spend a little more.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
bigdave
Ford Fanatic

there has to be a different target market between cabriolets and executive bmw/merc/lexus etc though

Menace 2005 BAII XR6
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave
there has to be a different target market between cabriolets and executive bmw/merc/lexus etc though
I think you'd be starting to deal with a fairly like minded demograph - DINKs, Wives of YUPs etc, Coffee club etc.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

how many middle aged male hairdressers or female real eastate agents are there around?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
not everyone is a bogan and wants a big v8.

Thats right mate,some people have no taste.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

People are continuously crying out for more from Ford. Now this isn't my kettle of fish, but we are seeing a flurry of new car options available from Ford and when it comes to the viability of the company it is good to see them with so many options. At least they are making an attempt to meet a wider demographic of buyers with these new releases.
Old 16-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

They are pretty good looking, seen one in Brunswick a month ago...I don't know what this one was doing on the roads so early :S

But defiantly not a very blokley car :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
not everyone is a bogan and wants a big v8.
Dont be an idiot
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesnt look too bad actully

i would buy 1 for the missus if i had 1 and was rich lol
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

considering how many vectra convertibles holden sell at around the same price i reckon ford will do better, they look better tooo

any XR5 versions?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
considering how many vectra convertibles holden sell at around the same price i reckon ford will do better, they look better tooo

any XR5 versions?
Astra convertibles

And no XR5 version, just a 2.0 auto or manual. Not really what the target demographic wants in any of the models (except the rather perky 2.0 FSI Eos). You guys need to distance yourelves from performance, handling and bang for your buck versus something like an XR6T. The kind of people who buy these convertibles are after something fashionable, to be seen in. They for one wouldn't consider an XR6T even if it was only $29,990 drive away. Being seen would be hard when you have a turbo that goes really fast, kinda defeats the purpose of parking and driving slowly through shopping strips with the roof down.

What works for one person would never be considered by another, just as much as most of you are wondering why you'd buy a convertible, the convertible buyers would never buy a Sports Sedan. Nothing wrong with that, we're all different.

Might I add, with a hard roof, they are a 2-in-1 car, have dual zone climate, 4 airbags, dynamic stability control, traction control, emergency brake assist, heated leather seats, 6 stack CD, cruise, power windows, power mirrors, rain sensing wipers... they're pretty easy cars to live with with a LOT of goodies!!

At the end of the day everyone likes to be seen to have something special and make them look like they have good taste. Convertible buyers are all about being seen in something classy, sports sedan buyers are no different in wanting to be seen and heard with a good sounding engine and exhaust, big rims and a bodykit to stand out from the regular versions. Surprising that in the end, we all want the same thing, just have different ways of achieving it!
Old 16-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
It's funny how people whine and complain how ford don't do something different, or have a new product. When they do, people complain and whine about it being a POS without actually seeing one, or driving one to form their opinion.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #17
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

I can't help but be amased at the level of stupidity of some people at times.

Just because it isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean that it is Shyte etc etc.

We purchased a convertable and IMHO spend a lot on it, The base versions aren't cheap, not that I am saying bad value, just a fair amount of money. The engineering for the chassis and roof esp with electronic sectional roof as per most newer models has to be paid for. but when spending reasonable amount of money then I would rather spend more and have something with a bit of go along with the show. (Supercharged and intercooled Mini build by BMW) But if it had been up to my wife she wouls have bought the slow one and saved some money. Which is more logical as you are only allowed to go s l o w here . . . . . and that is why we all NEED BIG SCARY V8's because otherwise you just ain't a man???????? (PS. We already had the v8 issue sorted) Which is the reason why we purchased such a expensive small car, because that is what she wanted, just like I wanted a two seater car that is too nice to use for its function, only seats two, uses lots of fuel and can go fast enough to land you in jail and also cost a fair amount. SEE MY POINT???

Different horses for different courses!

To some(a lot) of people it is just plain stupid to buy a large boring sedan with an old fashioned boat anchor of a motor that uses lots of fuel to go as slow as the rest with the possibility to go faster if you wan't to break the law. You pay a premium for that, when you buy the car, drive slow in it, insure it and more so when you do use it's potential and again if you get caught.

Other people like driving around in a good looking, sophisticated cars with al the fruit, cars that can be enjoyed to their potential without having to break the law!

Sorry about the rant but some people just don't think without opening their mouth
(type their opinion).

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy

Last edited by Fair302; 16-11-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
I can't help but be amased at the level of stupidity of some people at times.
Your not the only one, its a good indication of ones mentality by the way they post though.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
its a good indication of ones mentality by the way they post

Scary isn't it?

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #20
Des Flurane

Is it April the first?
Old 16-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's funny how people whine and complain how ford don't do something different, or have a new product.
I think quality of the current group should precede the diversity of models available?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #22
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
Scary isn't it?
it is. :
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
how many middle aged male hairdressers or female real eastate agents are there around?
LMAO! :

Sorry but $45k is a bloody joke IMO.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
LMAO! :

Sorry but $45k is a bloody joke IMO.
Here's someone who hasn't read the 5 or 10 preceeding posts... some people never learn.

If you knew anything about this segment, you'd realise it's almost the cheapest 4 seat hard-roof convertible money can buy. This, the Astra Twin-Top and the Renault Megane CC are all priced similarly.

So it's not a 15 year old E-series that goes fully sideways around corners and only costs $3,500. Thankfully.
Old 17-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Here's someone who hasn't read the 5 or 10 preceeding posts... some people never learn.

If you knew anything about this segment, you'd realise it's almost the cheapest 4 seat hard-roof convertible money can buy. This, the Astra Twin-Top and the Renault Megane CC are all priced similarly.

So it's not a 15 year old E-series that goes fully sideways around corners and only costs $3,500. Thankfully.
Sorry but you're paying a premium price for a Focus without a roof and IMO the normal Focus is far better style wise and costs a load less. My personal opinnion for what it's worth.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Personal opinion is welcome mate, no problems with that. Look at another way and you'll understand.

If you want a hatchback for everyday driving, it's very expensive and not overly practical.

If you want a convertible with more than 2 seats, it's one of the cheapest on the market and is well featured. This is where it's targeted. Not aimed at enticing $19,990 base model buyers into a convertible. It's aimed at enticing other convertible owners or potential customers.

It's not competing with MX5 or Z4, nor is it competing with Focus hatch or Astra hatch. It's in an entirely different segment, one in which Astra Twin-Top and the original Astra convertible have been a runaway success.
Old 17-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #27
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Personal opinion is welcome mate, no problems with that. Look at another way and you'll understand.

If you want a hatchback for everyday driving, it's very expensive and not overly practical.

If you want a convertible with more than 2 seats, it's one of the cheapest on the market and is well featured. This is where it's targeted. Not aimed at enticing $19,990 base model buyers into a convertible. It's aimed at enticing other convertible owners or potential customers.

It's not competing with MX5 or Z4, nor is it competing with Focus hatch or Astra hatch. It's in an entirely different segment, one in which Astra Twin-Top and the original Astra convertible have been a runaway success.
Here Here

Compared to the other convertables it's up against it defenatly looks the best. I wonder if they are entering this niche a bit to late though.

Why does Ford continue to play the catch up game?

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #28
Casablanca
carburettor

ummmm one question has anyone ever driven a coupe cabriolet? they are so gutless a lx fiesta flogs them even my grandma wouldnt drive one and she sits 20 under the speed limit rofl though compared to the astra it absolutely destroys it its like comparing a vl to an xr6 no comparison anyways happy posting
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
ummmm one question has anyone ever driven a coupe cabriolet? they are so gutless a lx fiesta flogs them even my grandma wouldnt drive one and she sits 20 under the speed limit rofl though compared to the astra it absolutely destroys it its like comparing a vl to an xr6 no comparison anyways happy posting
Im confused..are you saying its not powerful enough? How do you know that the segment even cares about power?

Im tipping looks and fuel economy would be pretty high up there though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #30
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Jesus christ. Its no wonder we as ford/holden fans are looked at as narrow minded. They arent going to be selling these trying to swing falcodore buyers they are trying to swing astra convertible etc buyers. Its got a hard lid and four seats id say itll do well and im happy to have it in the ford stable. It would be silly to make and sell cars like this overseas and not even try it on the sunniest continent on earth. Well done ford.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post