Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Aeron
DJR Fan

Default Sorry, but the XR6T is going for an SSV...

Well, after having my 2004 XR6T for almost 4 years its time for it to move on. I went out today to "have a look" at a few VE SSV's.....................and I ended up buying one. Its 2nd hand, 13,000Kms, Sep 2006 model in this colour...

Im sorry, but Its so much nicer to drive than the XR6T. And its easy to drive too. It may not have as much peak power as my XR6T (its has a flash tune) but low to mid range is better and so is the interior.

Dont get me wrong, I'll always go for Ford in motorsport (V8Supercars) but when it comes to road cars, I like both Red and Blue.

So yeh, I pick it up some time this week.

EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 20-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats on the nice shinny new purchase, i won't hold it against you for driving a Holden. I don't mind the look or feel of the new Commadores. Just don't disapear from around here your knowledge is a irreplacable asset to the AFF Photography club and in the B Series section

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
Old 20-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Kryton

Congrats!
colour looks good.
im reserving my judgment on the VE till i drive one, but it does tick all the right boxes at the moment.
Old 20-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Congrats on the nice shinny new purchase, i won't hold it against you for driving a Holden. I don't mind the look or feel of the new Commadores. Just don't disapear from around here your knowledge is a irreplacable asset to the AFF Photography club and in the B Series section
Oh mate, the car I drive will not change my love for Fords or Photography, so I'll stick around here, thats for sure!! :

Old 20-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ugh wrong colour, but hey each to their own hey, the only VE i would EVER buy is one of the V series, most probably a calaisV or capriceV
Old 20-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
ugh wrong colour, but hey each to their own hey, the only VE i would EVER buy is one of the V series, most probably a calaisV or capriceV

Im sure we all appreciate your comment, it was utterly constructive...
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 20-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Congrats Aeron.

But I won't wave at you anymore when I see you driving through Smithfield :P j/k

Cheers.
Old 20-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Agree the V series are better (although there is no Caprice V as the Caprice comes with everything standard incl leather. Only made in Statesman & Caprice models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Well, after having my 2004 XR6T for almost 4 years its time for it to move on. I went out today to "have a look" at a few VE SSV's.....................and I ended up buying one. Its 2nd hand, 13,000Kms, Sep 2006 model in this colour...
Hope your VE is not a lemon like my Caprice is. The 6sp auto boxes are also rubbish. Have a look at LS1 forums and you'll see the VE/WM Holdens have a few design/reliability issues.
Old 20-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
blackwood
FiSTed

Now go on and tell them that you got one with the two-tone interior. :

(BTW, It's thedude off Gunna. Just so your not going "WTF?")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
Old 20-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Top purchase mate, VE's have grown on me aswell. Glad you got an SSV, so you get all the little extras over the SS. Auto or man?
Old 20-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Congrats Aeron.

But I won't wave at you anymore when I see you driving through Smithfield :P j/k

Cheers.
Oh come on, I'll still wave at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwood
Now go on and tell them that you got one with the two-tone interior. :

(BTW, It's thedude off Gunna. Just so your not going "WTF?")
Shhhhhhhhh, don’t dob me in. You've seen the reaction so far. Tough crowd. If I tell them the interior looks like this...

... I'll be chased out of town with burning torches and doused in the vomit that I caused. : : :

Ooops, did I say that too loud? Cats out of the bag then. The interior looks just like in that pic. I don’t mind it to be honest.
I expect criticism of a Holden on a Ford forum. There would be something seriously wrong if everyone here said, “Nice, I love the colour. And that interior looks mad. Wish my Falcon was like that”. : : :

Old 20-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
Top purchase mate, VE's have grown on me aswell. Glad you got an SSV, so you get all the little extras over the SS. Auto or man?
I got the manual, mate. I love V8 manuals

Old 20-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:

my suggestion for that interior:
try and find some Brushed Aluminum Inserts for the section of the dash that has wood grain in luxury models ie: above the glove box -> above the steering wheel, maybe a bit on the doors as well and some on the center console.
it will definitely break that large amount of colour up.
Old 20-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
SirJuggsalot

Hey nice ride aeron!

I remember before I got my T I had the interior shot that you made as my wallpaper, drooling everytime I closed all my windows. Then 3 months later I picked up one myself. But now, a year and a mortgage later, I'm thinking of getting rid of my tuned xr6t myself and getting...wait for it.. a hyundai getz lol.

Im sick of servicing it every 5000k and paying bucket loads for fuel/insurance just for my gf to drive it 100 kays a day to and from work 6 days a week. I'll be lucky to sit in it once a week, let alone drive it.

The plan is to get a 07/08 model R8 in a few years, if not that def a VE SS.
Old 20-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha I'm going to be the opposite. I'll be coming from a VL over to a ED XR6, but will still go for Holden in the V8s.

As you say with the road cars, red & blue all the way.

Nice purchase.
Old 20-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
fordAU

Very nice vehicle there mate, nice colour too in my opinion.
That 6.0 litre is a bit of a gem so good luck to you.
Old 20-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Oh come on, I'll still wave at you.
I drive a Ford so you have to wave at me

As for the interior, jokes aside it looks alot better in the photos than in the plastic... err... you know what I mean...
Then again, it is only the Omega I have sat in.

What mods do you have planned for it mate? What kind of power is achievable with all the usual bolt ons?

Do you need mudspats? I think I still have some spare Datsun 180B flaps lying around if you need them... they're exactly the same (although they look better on the Datsun)
Old 20-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Aeron,

Well done mate! Be sad to see the T numbers reduce on aff, but you're making way for V8 Commodore so it's all good.

The new VE's caught me a while ago and it sure it tempting, there is a lot going for them compared to the falcon nowadays. To be honest an SSV has being catching my eyes too, and yes - manual!

Hope it gives you many years of fun and hassle free motoring.

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Old 20-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I drive a Ford so you have to wave at me

As for the interior, jokes aside it looks alot better in the photos than in the plastic... err... you know what I mean...
Then again, it is only the Omega I have sat in.

What mods do you have planned for it mate? What kind of power is achievable with all the usual bolt ons?

Do you need mudspats? I think I still have some spare Datsun 180B flaps lying around if you need them... they're exactly the same (although they look better on the Datsun)
I sat in an Omega and hated it. The SS is so so so much nicer!!

As far as mods go, and they will be in a years time, I'll just do exhaust and tune. I'll spend all my other cash on the VX

Old 20-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Aeron,

Well done mate! Be sad to see the T numbers reduce on aff, but you're making way for V8 Commodore so it's all good.

The new VE's caught me a while ago and it sure it tempting, there is a lot going for them compared to the falcon nowadays. To be honest an SSV has being catching my eyes too, and yes - manual!

Hope it gives you many years of fun and hassle free motoring.

Cheers
Yeh, thanks Ben. I just don't enjoy driving the Falcon any more. Its time for a change.

Old 20-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah, the interiors in those looks awesome. I don't blame you for buying one. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 20-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #22
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats. I to don't mind what the badge is, so long as you're happy!

Although I must admit I'm intrigued with the timing. There is no way I would have bought one so close to the release of the Orion Falcon. It's only months away and 'could' make the VE's look very average...

[edit] ah, I just noticed it's 2nd hand. Explains my above questions, so enough said
Old 20-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
daveant65
fordv8uteman

yer, onya buddy i dont mind the look of the new ssv's but they also carry a nice price tag, but i spose u do get a roarin 6.0ltr v8 with the chev badge behind it, good luck....
Old 20-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
Ford_V8

Interior looks nice. The only thing I don't like about them is the grainy texture that is in some models, it's hard to see if that does or not from the photos though.
Old 20-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #25
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Congrats Mate.

The people I work for own a Holden dealership, (i'm in different division) so my company car is a Holden. I get what they can't sell..: I had an SSV 2006 in orange just like yours, which has just been changed to a purple 07 SSV with 20's. Both with plain black trim.

Now don't get me wrong, I bleed blue. However I've just spent the last week on Holiday up and down the ocean road in it and it's not bad car (did I just say that!!). I has plenty of go, steers well although little understeery, but with heaps of grip. Some weird and wonderful electronic stuff, bluetooth car kit is excellent in concept but no-one can hear you. It tell you what day it is, but the time is 24hr mode only, to get outside temp you push a button, adjust the heater, you push it again, no big deal, but annoying. Vision is crap. The A pillar blind spot so big the Ocean Road disappears. Rearward vision is worse. Exterior mirrors are tiny and the rear spoiler blocks what little rear vision you had over the high boot.

The auto in the 06 was awful, the 07 much improved but not as good as the 4 speed in the fords let alone the 6 speed ZF. The difference is programming and can be upgraded at service. It is still jerky and stops to think before changing up or down. Has induced vomiting in both daughters so far.. Not so good.

Overall it is still a very good car (8/10) and you will enjoy it. I like the way it looks, especially in black. I'm way to biased to buy one with my own cash but I can see why you and others do.

Happy motoring.
Old 20-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #26
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Don't blame ya Aeron, the new VE's are pretty cool, and don't cost an arm and a leg to pull some big power out of... you have got me thinking..... .dont you worry!
Old 20-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Congrats on the new car, I hope you got it cheap with the prices holden are giving 07s away for (50 neat!).

Your lucky you got an earlier one, the later BUILD ones have new SOFTWARE protection on them making it much harder for tuners i was informed yesturday! It basically locks you out! Holdens trying to stop people from editing at all I think. The car in question was an 11/07 SS, not sure if the LS1 boys are onto this yet!

We have an 06 VE Calais V8 and its only had one issue (leaked oil and had to have the sump gasket done) otherwise it hasnt missed a beat. The auto gearbox is tacky along with the ride but having a manual the box wont worry you.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 20-01-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 20-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta say i did the same not long ago, after AU XR8 and BA XR6 i went over to a VE SV6, i'll keep it for a few years but hopefully Ford lure me back with a nice new BG Turbo!!
Old 20-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Congrats on the new car, I hope you got it cheap with the prices holden are giving 07s away for (50 neat!).

Your lucky you got an earlier one, the later BUILD ones have new SOFTWARE protection on them making it much harder for tuners i was informed yesturday! It basically locks you out! Holdens trying to stop people from editing at all I think. The car in question was an 11/07 SS, not sure if the LS1 boys are onto this yet!
It was some changes to the ECU and theres a new version of the software which has solved it, see ST's forum on LS1.

Personally I really like the ignition VE (also like it in white and that new green), I wish I had been brave enough to buy one in that colour. Also that dash has grown on me to the point that I now prefer it to the black on black on black.

As mentioned earlier, you can swap the strip between the top of the dash and the bottom to a chrome one just to break up the mass. I think the Berlina now has chrome rather than the poxy fake wood, so you just buy that part. If you go that way get spare clips as these are designed to beak off (single use).

YEs its is good to be brand neutral (or swing both ways), means you just get the best at the time. I have my fingers crossed for an F6 orion next (come on Ford, I want one last sample of the best I6 since the XU1, although the BMW one is good) else a VE Calais V Sportswagon might have my name on it.

Anyway congratulations on the purchase, you will enjoy it.
Old 20-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #30
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done mate on the purchase.
Enjoy it
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
Closed Thread