Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Juzman

Default Wheel size and comfort... 16" to 18" upgrade

Hi,

I currently have 16" mags on my Futura and was thinking of upgrading to 18" or 19"

My dilemma is that a comfortable ride is very important to me and so I'd like to ask your advice...

Have any of you upgraded to a larger wheel size and noticed a huge difference in comfort (bumps etc...) because logic says that the larger the wheel, the smaller the tyre and therefore the stronger the tyre wall = harder ride.

Would 16" to 18" be noticeable from your experience?

Also I assume if you put the largest tyre possible on an 18" wheel this would be best for comfort (up until it rubs on guards etc)

Does putting a larger wheel on effect anything mechanically? I'd imagine as long as the diameter (tyre and wheel) was the same it wouldn't?

Could you run the lower profile tyres below their normal pressure to help comfort? (I know this would reduce the life of the tyre... but looks and comfort take priority)

Cheers
Juzman

Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

I went from 17's to 18's and then to 19's on my AU with no real difference in ride or handling (although it is a ute so comfort isnt exactly built into it).
Old 17-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Im in the process of buying 20's for my car..

its going to put my speedo out by 4.5km/h

comfort should be fine for me...

handling? ill get back to you on that!

Also as for scrubbing? A mate that works at bob jane said i should be fine.

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I went from 17" to 19", before I lowered my ute
The ride was a little bit rougher but not something you can easily pick up on.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

I went from 16" to 19" on the EL and sure you felt the decent bumps, but other than that there wasn't a huge difference. It does make the car feel a bit more responsive as there is a lot less side wall on the tyre.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've gone from 15" up to my current 19" wheels over the last 2 years, but the effect has been confounded by also lowering along the way. I'm still perfectly happy with the ride though, the most recent change from 18" to 19" makes the car feel more planted, but ride is better if anything. Of course, different tyres / pressures etc make a difference, but overall I'd say you certainly shouldn't notice too much of a negative effect on the ride.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i changed the 16" mags for 18" mags yesterday.

only driven it a few quick times, i noticed it feels 'different' but necessarily bad. today will be the test - going for a longer drive including freeway driving, plus the wife will drive it with the new wheels.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
XR_MICK

The ride IMO is all about the tyre you get with your larger wheels. The bigger the rim go for a better tyre, that way you wont be disappointed with hardness or road noise.
Old 18-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

took the car out for a bit of a longer drive today. it might be a touch noisier on the road (i'd say more to do with the tyres than the wheels).

the wife said it feels 'different' but not bad/worse.

and it looks heaps better than it did before.

-tim
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post