Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default PS3 rumour

hey all
i was reading around the web last night and found that they are apparently going to be releasing an 80gb PS3 again bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4
which will have all the backwards playability etc

can anybody in the industry or just in the know confirm if they are doing this
as im keen to buy a PS3 but dont want the poverty pack item australia has at the moment

cheers

Old 19-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
hey all
i was reading around the web last night and found that they are apparently going to be releasing an 80gb PS3 again bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4
which will have all the backwards playability etc

can anybody in the industry or just in the know confirm if they are doing this
as im keen to buy a PS3 but dont want the poverty pack item australia has at the moment

cheers
Yes I think they have removed the 60Gig & replaced this with the 40Gig but also will have a larger Capacity one here soon also.

Though it is easy to replace the Hard Drive with a larger one if that is all you are concerned about
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id rather the backwards compatability and apparently the new one will have the dualshock rumble AND improved 6 axis motion sensing what ever that the current one has

as apparently its a little wonky or somthing??

rumoured release date is 17th of june 08
Old 19-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

What is the purpose of such a large HDD in a console? Not trying to be sarcastic, is there downloadable content that you'd want to keep on disk for long periods of time?

(now if you're talking about a modded one, that's a different story...)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
SnoopXR6

You can get media and demo games directly from the online PS store which is what the HDD is used for as well as save game data. Me personally i have a 500gb USB HDD to go with my ps3 which is used for all my media storage.
SnoopXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
What is the purpose of such a large HDD in a console? Not trying to be sarcastic, is there downloadable content that you'd want to keep on disk for long periods of time?

(now if you're talking about a modded one, that's a different story...)
Put Linux on a PS3 plug in a USB tuner and you have a high-def hard disk recorder. Also all the windows media centre recordings on your pc you can stream wirelessly to the PS3 for playing later. An Xbox 360 or PS3 is much more than just a games machine. With Linux also on the PS3 along with a wireless keyboard you can also have a fully fledged computer wirelessly connected to the internet in your lounge room.

So yes all the old racing I have on my PC you can then put on the PS3 hard drive via wireless link to computer and view from another room where the PS3 is.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the PS3s are definatly appearing to be a good investment for a home theater /living room brain center

the HDD is for downloading games and stuff yeah
and as others have said.. a plcae to store photos and videos and to digitally record stuff
Old 19-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopXR6
You can get media and demo games directly from the online PS store which is what the HDD is used for as well as save game data. Me personally i have a 500gb USB HDD to go with my ps3 which is used for all my media storage.
True, but I have those on my smaller 360 hdd and it's data that doesn't really stay there long. Which is my point as to why you'd want to get such a large (well, in console standards anyway) drive.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Put Linux on a PS3 plug in a USB tuner and you have a high-def hard disk recorder. Also all the windows media centre recordings on your pc you can stream wirelessly to the PS3 for playing later. An Xbox 360 or PS3 is much more than just a games machine. With Linux also on the PS3 along with a wireless keyboard you can also have a fully fledged computer wirelessly connected to the internet in your lounge room.
Or you could set up a media PC with a buttload more storage for a hell of a lot cheaper. Still don't see the need to do it to a PS3 and have that much storage on it.

Not trying to be a dick about it, I'll probably get a PS3 at some stage and if I don't need to spend the extra dollars (and it'll probably be premium dollars for a console accessory) for larger hdd storage if it's for pretty volatile data then I won't bother.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not everybody wants to put a pc as well as a PS3 in their lounge room
also theres probably more things available to put onto the HDD but i dont have a PS3 so cant really say..

also the larger hdd equiped PS3s have better accessories and things as well(sort of like a fairmont ghia compared to a futura)
the original had extra usb slots and things
Old 20-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #11
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or you could set up a media PC with a buttload more storage for a hell of a lot cheaper.
I'd like to see a Media PC that plays 1080p movies, plays Blu-Ray, has HDMI outputs, With both wireless and ethernet networking, wireless remote and comes with an OS for less than $700! (40GB PS3 is around 680 odd usually) Oh and I forgot it also plays games

Granted it's easier to add a TV tuner to a Media PC, but I have my tuner on my PC for ease of editing/conversion.

I don't personally see the point in anymore than 40GB at this stage. Also since it's just a standard 2.5" Laptop drive and is easily accessible its easy to upgrade if need be! But I just stream from my Mac.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
I'd like to see a Media PC that plays 1080p movies, plays Blu-Ray, has HDMI outputs, With both wireless and ethernet networking, wireless remote and comes with an OS for less than $700! (40GB PS3 is around 680 odd usually) Oh and I forgot it also plays games

Granted it's easier to add a TV tuner to a Media PC, but I have my tuner on my PC for ease of editing/conversion.

I don't personally see the point in anymore than 40GB at this stage. Also since it's just a standard 2.5" Laptop drive and is easily accessible its easy to upgrade if need be! But I just stream from my Mac.
Mine does all that, as well as download torrents, NZB's, runs VMware Server and acts as a domain controller, secure web browser, iSCSI target and compresses all the TV shows I download nightly to save space.

It doesn't have wireless though, wireless is useless to me. It cost me less than $700 and it can still record shows and download while I play on the console of my choice.
Old 20-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

which leaves you still wanting the PS3 as a console for an added $700 to your already spent $700 on the pc...
Old 20-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

Quote:
id rather the backwards compatability and apparently the new one will have the dualshock rumble AND improved 6 axis motion sensing what ever that the current one has

as apparently its a little wonky or somthing??

rumoured release date is 17th of june 08
The dualshock 6 axis has been out in japan for quiet some time already, maybe they've been holding off its release in Aus for the reason you've mentioned ?
SeduceXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite possibly

just went onto gamespot.com.au and they have this article regarding the dualshock 3 controls

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6189255....le;picks;img;2

Last edited by blackers10; 20-04-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: found an article of interest
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
which leaves you still wanting the PS3 as a console for an added $700 to your already spent $700 on the pc...
Doesn't bother me. A PC for me is tax deductable and it does many other things that a PS3 can't do that I need.
Old 20-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8

My media center can do the above, but without the blu-ray player.

I say bring on MGS4 already, can't wait for it to come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Anyway, back on topic

I'm too interested in getting a PS3, but the 40GB pov back turned me off it. I have heard about an 80GB full feature model hitting our shores, but a date would be nice. Backward compatibility is the main feature I want.
Old 20-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nevermind it seems mid june is the date to watch
with the metal gear solid bundle pack
Old 20-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
Anyway, back on topic

I'm too interested in getting a PS3, but the 40GB pov back turned me off it. I have heard about an 80GB full feature model hitting our shores, but a date would be nice. Backward compatibility is the main feature I want.
What turned you off about it?

I'll probably be looking at a PS3 in the near future as well. I'd settle for 40GB unless there was something inherently wrong with it.
Old 20-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Quote:

I'll probably be looking at a PS3 in the near future as well. I'd settle for 40GB unless there was something inherently wrong with it.
I think he means that the fact that the "pov pack" isn't backwards compatible with PS1 or 2 games turned him off the idea... That is also why I haven't yet upgraded. It's all good to buy one simply for bluray and the other features, but kinda useless if you have a ps2 and all the games that come with it, but your shiny new ps3 won't allow you to play them. Kinda like upgrading your car stereo only to find out that it's an 8 track and your cd's are now useless to you.... :
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also the bigger ps3 has more usb ports and a handful of other options just cant remmeber what they were off the top of my head

but there was a fair difference

if you use google you may find an old comparison of the 40 vs 60 or 80gb items
Old 20-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #23
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want the backwards compatability too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
3vXT

My 40gig ps3 plays ps1 games and my ps2 still plays ps2 games ok.

EDIT: It would be more convenient if the ps3 played ps2 games as well, but i'm not going to pay hundreds more for it when my ps2 console still works fine. I can upgrade the storage to 250gig (i think) cheaper than what it would cost to get one of the more expensive ps3's.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #25
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Please let these rumours be true. I also want a PS3 that plays my PS2 games. I don't want two consoles setup in the lounge.

Can we keep this thread going with any updates on this new PS3.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #26
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good XPcoupe

anybody who knows anything PLEASE keep this thread updated!

im keen as for one but not the 40gb or non ps2 playability
Old 21-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #27
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Quote:

I want to replace the PS2 with a PS3, and not have 2 consoles sitting there (got a x360 elite as well). Also be able to sell the PS2 on ebay and recoup some of the costs.

Another thing that turned me off getting one the other day was a looked at the game library thinking what game I would pick up, and couldn't find anything I wanted.

With any luck a 80GB model, with the DS3 and MGS4 will come out.
Old 21-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
I want to replace the PS2 with a PS3, and not have 2 consoles sitting there (got a x360 elite as well). Also be able to sell the PS2 on ebay and recoup some of the costs.

Another thing that turned me off getting one the other day was a looked at the game library thinking what game I would pick up, and couldn't find anything I wanted.

With any luck a 80GB model, with the DS3 and MGS4 will come out.
Ah, ok.

I think DSE still has the 60GB model in stock but it costs a little more than $300 more for it. PS2 compatibility isn't that big a deal for me, I haven't bought a PS2 game in at least 6 years and I wouldn't bother dusting off my old PS2 to play them now anyway.

More USB ports would be nice but I'd expect/hope a USB hub would work on a PS3? I was actually close to buying one today and may still buy one today, just doing a little more research before I go ahead.

There were a couple of games that I was looking at and MGS4 would probably be a good buy and I've also got a G25 so hooking that up to it is an attractive prospect for racing games. There doesn't seem to be too many exclusive games for the PS3 that interest me though.

I still don't see the need for that much drive space but transplating a 160GB drive in there is all of about 2 minutes work and about $100, so if there is a need in the future, I certainly wouldn't go the Sony route which would likely cost many magnitudes more.
Old 21-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

I don't really need Backwards compatability - once you go into HD gaming you never go back! As for HDD space, it could become an issue in the future now that you have to install some games (Grrr). Really annoying - that was one of the advantages of console gaming in the past - you could just put the disk in and play as opposed to "Insert disk 1" and "Insert Disk 4" installation. But that's just me - a 5-10 min installation isn't too bad I guess...

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #30
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
I don't really need Backwards compatability - once you go into HD gaming you never go back! As for HDD space, it could become an issue in the future now that you have to install some games (Grrr). Really annoying - that was one of the advantages of console gaming in the past - you could just put the disk in and play as opposed to "Insert disk 1" and "Insert Disk 4" installation. But that's just me - a 5-10 min installation isn't too bad I guess...
You have to install them?! Never knew that. Not a requirement on the 360 as it's all play from disk but allows it to be patched which would run off hdd. I guess decent hdd space on the PS3 is required then.

If it's installed on hdd, do you still need the disk in to play?