Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Default Flat battery?

Went to turn the car on and turned the key till the petrol pump got going then turned it to start and nothing. You hear this sort of ticking noise coming from the battery area when turning the key. Im thinking the battery is gone. Can someone please confirm what they think it is before I go out and spend the hard earned?

Cheers

GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say its your battery.
Old 26-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

clean your terminals b4 outlaying any cash
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2DOOR
clean your terminals b4 outlaying any cash
What's the best way to do this? Baking soda and water and scrubbing the terminals?
Old 26-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could just pour a jug of boiling water over the terminals ,or take the terminals off and clean with a wire brush ,or a rat tail file or sandpaper whichever you have
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Sweet as! Cleaned the terminals and the car started. There was quite a bit of blue deposits on terminals. Hopefully she keeps on going for a few more months. Its easily been five years since the last battery change. Should I replace it? Or keep going until its completely dead?

Cheers guys
Old 26-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep going. if it started with a terminal clean, repco and supercheap, etc sell something along the lines of a corrosion stopper. it's a gel type stuff, not those pad things, grab some of that, i think i have seen it in auto one too, called korode kure or something similar. it's in an orange tub. take the terminals off and put some of that on the battery posts and the inside of the terminals and it should stop any corrosion.

if you are worried about the battery, take it to an auto eleccy or even battery world, supercheap, wherever, they should have a battery tester they can put on it to show what condition it is in. that will give you an idea of how much life is left in it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
THR347

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
keep going. if it started with a terminal clean, repco and supercheap, etc sell something along the lines of a corrosion stopper. it's a gel type stuff, not those pad things, grab some of that, i think i have seen it in auto one too, called korode kure or something similar. it's in an orange tub. take the terminals off and put some of that on the battery posts and the inside of the terminals and it should stop any corrosion.

if you are worried about the battery, take it to an auto eleccy or even battery world, supercheap, wherever, they should have a battery tester they can put on it to show what condition it is in. that will give you an idea of how much life is left in it
Great advice, but even better still, while ur at supercheap get some new terminals and whack them on. They're inexpensive and easy to replace. It wouldn't hurt to add the corrosion stopper and i'm sure your battery will get a bit of extra life.
Old 27-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was knee high we just used petroleum jelly ( Vaseline ) from the bathroom cupboard on the terminals nothing with a flash name and works well.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
When i was knee high we just used petroleum jelly ( Vaseline ) from the bathroom cupboard on the terminals nothing with a flash name and works well.
Yep, boiling water to remove verdigris from terminals, clean with edge of sharp blade and vaseline to finish.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

And dont forget Coca cola... The best terminal cleaner of them all.

Even wipes out those pesky teeth to leave nice smooth gums. :
Old 27-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
whiskers
gone fishing

nothing wrong about using Vaseline, I use it on my boat battery all the time.
Old 27-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
eb ghia
Starter Motor

yer totally agree bit of vasso works well,
eb ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb ghia
yer totally agree bit of vasso works well,
mmm im not touching that one