Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
skelly

Default Problems with my AU II manual

Well i love my car and it still runs fine, but every now and then it has some problems.

Sometimes when i try take of quickly (aka 3000 rpm and drop the clutch) the clutch get stuck on even when its fully out and my foot aint on it, after a few secs of reving its guts up it will drop into gear.

Also sometime when i get high revs and stop accelerating (aka 50 in 1st, or 100 in 2nd) or when i drop into a lower gear at high revs (aka 3rd to 2nd at 100, or 2nd to 1st at 50) somthing goes "CLUNK", its a weird sound like something snapping in or something.

Anyway any help greatly appreciated.

ty in advance

skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
EgoFalcon
The Villan

The high revs clunk we used to get in our test au xr8, t5 isn't a very nice transmission. We never sorted it out as we would have the car a couple days a year, but I think the clunk is very common problem.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
skelly

common it may be, but deadly and bad it sounds xD
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

If your clutch pedal is hanging down near the floor at high'ish revs on launch you need a new clutch.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the clunk you are hearing is probably diff backlash. it's pretty common on all manual falcons apparently, i'd change the diff oil and put some friction modifier in there and see if that helps. apart from that, try matching the revs a bit when you are downshifting at those speeds, but treating a t5 like that, don't expect it to last too long, they aren't incredibly strong when being thrashed through gears, when in gear they are pretty good, but not rough changes.

as for the clutch problem, as above, it is clutch slip. time for a newie, that one can't have much meat left on it.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh that clunk i get in my wagon (converted to t5 manual). Drives me nuts and doesn't sound too good at all. I wonder if it may be something to do with the diff being a little sloppy (had my lsd rebuilt about 5000kms ago). Or just simply an average driveshaft.

But really i am just guessing.

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
skelly

yeah i gotta stop being a hoon in it lol, but i still know its not a normal sound.

and as for the clutch as u know they are heavy and mine is at the very start (aka when the clutch 1st goes in), once its past the 1st bit of resistance it sinks to the floor with no effort. my friend told me that getting my clutch addjusted would fix this, anyone know for sure?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly
yeah i gotta stop being a hoon in it lol, but i still know its not a normal sound.

and as for the clutch as u know they are heavy and mine is at the very start (aka when the clutch 1st goes in), once its past the 1st bit of resistance it sinks to the floor with no effort. my friend told me that getting my clutch addjusted would fix this, anyone know for sure?

Are u runnning like a bruss button clutch? i have a manual aswell, i never hear any clunks, dropping it back to second at 100kph is just stupid, if thats for racing u will find the aus pull alot harder in 3rd gear then second. Check and see if your cruise control is working, u may be up for a new pedal box
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
urbancowboy

My AU2 XR8 makes clunks occasionally, it more when i have mild rev's in first say about 2500 then dip the clutch to pull up. Probably the Diff as said before so i guess im best off to change the diff oil and add modifier to it.

Never had a problem with down shifting but i do rev match every down shift.
Do these gearboxes suffer from down shifting? or is it that they only suffer when downshifted without a rev match?

What is odd is that i've done about three highish say 3000rpm clutch dumps, and one time (no band camp jokes) it did a single spinner! there was steering lock on but IMO it should have lit up bothand kicked out! the other two times it left railway tracks. And other times in damp conditions without effort at all it floats out as both wheels get equal drive.

Should i consider having my Diff checked out too, or should the diff oil and additive suffice?
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Clunk is 100% diff. That is what solved the problem in my ute

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
skelly

my car aint got cruise control and i got no clue if its brass button clutch.

im taking my car to the shop to get the clutch looked at, im hopeing its just a adjustment needed
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my car aint got cruise control and i got no clue if its brass button clutch.

im taking my car to the shop to get the clutch looked at, im hopeing its just a adjustment needed

adjust it yourself, just open the bonnet, left hand side of the firewall u will see a cable coming out with a thread and a bolt, just pull the cable out and tighten the bolt, do it a little bit at a time and try it out.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
skelly

adjusted clutch myself, but didnt help.

put it in at the shop and the clutch plates are ruined. I cant go past 3000 rpm in any gear without the clutch coming on, so getting it fixed atm, hopefully not to much :/

Any other ideas about the "clunk". It happens now sometime just dropping gears normally and getting high revs then stop accelerating or changing gears
Old 15-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
adjusted clutch myself, but didnt help.

put it in at the shop and the clutch plates are ruined. I cant go past 3000 rpm in any gear without the clutch coming on, so getting it fixed atm, hopefully not to much :/

Any other ideas about the "clunk". It happens now sometime just dropping gears normally and getting high revs then stop accelerating or changing gears
Check your tailshaft isn't loose, also could be the uni joints in the tail shaft.
Old 15-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
skelly

aight ill check that when i get my car back. went in monday morning and i still dont have it yet. hope the ************ dont charge me for labour while they waiting for the parts to come in haha