Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
dogwatch2

Default 300C versus FPV or HSV

For those considering getting a 300C instead of a FPV or HSV, the 300C in the USA "consumerreport.org" rate the 300C in the least reliable large sedan group..."Most reliable SEDANS: Lexus GS300/GS430*, Infiniti M35/45*, Lexus IS300 (2005), Honda Accord Hybrid*, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord 4-cyl., Lexus LS430 .........Least reliable SEDANS: Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Saab 9-3, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 5-Series (V8), Audi A8, Chrysler 300 (V8)*, BMW 7 series". ......SO aussie buyers beware!! : :

dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
For those considering getting a 300C instead of a FPV or HSV, the 300C in the USA "consumerreport.org" rate the 300C in the least reliable large sedan group..."Most reliable SEDANS: Lexus GS300/GS430*, Infiniti M35/45*, Lexus IS300 (2005), Honda Accord Hybrid*, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord 4-cyl., Lexus LS430 .........Least reliable SEDANS: Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Saab 9-3, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 5-Series (V8), Audi A8, Chrysler 300 (V8)*, BMW 7 series". ......SO aussie buyers beware!! : :
Yeah but I cant see anyone not buying Mercs or BMWs because of this.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
Yeah but I cant see anyone not buying Mercs or BMWs because of this.
Exactly... BMW's have been known as duds for a long time, but people still buy them - it's the Badge. Same thing will happen with the 300C. It's also the same reason people didn't buy Mitsubishi's when they made the best local 6cyl cars in the mid-late 90's - the Badge. It's one of the main reasons cars sell / don't sell.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
It is not the 300c we should be comparing, its the SRT8, lets get that right before quoting useless information from the states to line up our cars.

I rather listen to owners experience, or try it myself.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
cwhast

hmm all the "most reliable" were Japanese cars...
funny... America kicked their asses in WW2, now they're fighting back.. economically.
it was bound to happen
cwhast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

isnt the 300c we get different to the one the US gets.............in that ours are built in austria instead of the states....

ours is probably a lot better than the US spec
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

Wayne, I think it's only the SRT-8 version that is built in Austria, but I could be totally wrong!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

i was pretty sure all RHD chryslers are built there..... could be way off though
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
AuFairlaneV8

Im bettin if you could find these stats on cars sold in Australia FPV and HSV would not be in the most reliable list.
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
It is not the 300c we should be comparing, its the SRT8, lets get that right before quoting useless information from the states to line up our cars.

I rather listen to owners experience, or try it myself.

Useless information hey...thats a little harsh as he does quote its a (V8) so it cant be that far off. If its the 300 srt8 then it will cost u well over $70 000 so it could be the 300c Hemi v8, which is a slug but ud think if one was a lemon thed both be a lemon. If the xr6t was a pile off crap, i wouldnt expect the typhoon to be breakn any records.

Also its always better to hear from unbiased people anyhow...not owners!!!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFairlaneV8
Im bettin if you could find these stats on cars sold in Australia FPV and HSV would not be in the most reliable list.

true, but id hope our big boys could at least out gun the toyota camry an Honda accord in that list,,,shame :
Old 15-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Also its always better to hear from unbiased people anyhow...not owners!!!!!
cool.. so experience means nothing these days ... yay
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Hey

If you want to stick your head into the books and enjoy the facts and figures from them, I will even give you a nice AFF bookmark.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
true, but id hope our big boys could at least out gun the toyota camry an Honda accord in that list,,,shame :
I would to, but I serously doubt it
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Hey

If you want to stick your head into the books and enjoy the facts and figures from them, I will even give you a nice AFF bookmark.

hahah dont make me laugh man...this forum is all about numbers,facts and figures and how to crunch them anyhow.
Old 15-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
cool.. so experience means nothing these days ... yay

experience from unbiased people is the key here i think. U wouldnt bag a car u bought with ur own hard earnd cash would u, therefore mag comparos and other public discussions is what i was thinking off bud...
Old 15-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hahah dont make me laugh man...this forum is all about numbers,facts and figures and how to crunch them anyhow.

^ Figures Fool and Fools Figure.

Im not sure what your saying.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #18
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
experience from unbiased people is the key here i think. U wouldnt bag a car u bought with ur own hard earnd cash would u, therefore mag comparos and other public discussions is what i was thinking off bud...
Who says the journalists in car magazines aren't biased....
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For starters, I would learn to spell .. or not be so lazy to use sms speak.
Secondly, read what you are saying ... you would take the word of someone who hasn't driven one for all you know over someone who has experience. Don't take unbiased ( assuming it is ) to mean knowledgable.
Old 15-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Who says the journalists in car magazines aren't biased....
well to a degree...thousands of people. When they group all the best performance cars in aus together and take them on days of hard driving and testing u see cars driven back to back and u get a judgement by a board off enthusiasts. Thats not as biased as someone who owns one and says his is better than yours without even driving or testing...correct??????

sorry xa-coupe, im so used to sms ing, i read that back and it is weird isnt it. _2:
Old 15-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #21
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the years I have noticed that journos are generally very biased .. it's human nature. I mean, they voted the Camira the car of the year FFS !!
Old 15-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Over the years I have noticed that journos are generally very biased .. it's human nature. I mean, they voted the Camira the car of the year FFS !!
haha thats damn sad when your biased to a camira :
Old 15-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #23
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point is, just because they are journalists their opinin isnt automatically valid.
You learn there are some journos that try to work around their biases and some that are just gerbils that pump out whatever they think will sell.
BTW, all the cars they have in the same class as the 300c are about half the size of it.
Old 15-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
The point is, just because they are journalists their opinin isnt automatically valid.
You learn there are some journos that try to work around their biases and some that are just gerbils that pump out whatever they think will sell.
BTW, all the cars they have in the same class as the 300c are about half the size of it.

what you mean, the 300c is lighter than a gt and a srt8 is only 20kg heavier i think. which one u talking about???
Old 15-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #25
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah, the cars listed in the first post ..they are small or medium cars at the best.
Old 15-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #26
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
There is where you make your first mistake - assumption. I've always presented an unbiased view of the cars that have filled my garage (as a little trawl through these forums will testify to) and if it has flaws then I'm happy to say so.

In terms of the quality surveys I will be waiting for the results of the Euro JD Power one before commenting because their cars are built in Austria like ours are and not Canada where the US survey cars are built. Not that I would expect them to rate all that highly any more than the local product would as they are based on faults per hundred vehicles.

There are certainly some things I would (and no doubt will) improve but thus far quality and build related issues have been less than my experience with the last 3 Ford vehicles at a similar stage in time. The only one thus far being a misaligned headlight which compares favourably against the GT-P which racked up 3 faults before the same 2,500 km mark.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #27
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
There is where you make your first mistake - assumption. I've always presented an unbiased view of the cars that have filled my garage (as a little trawl through these forums will testify to) and if it has flaws then I'm happy to say so.

In terms of the quality surveys I will be waiting for the results of the Euro JD Power one before commenting because their cars are built in Austria like ours are and not Canada where the US survey cars are built. Not that I would expect them to rate all that highly any more than the local product would as they are based on faults per hundred vehicles.

There are certainly some things I would (and no doubt will) improve but thus far quality and build related issues have been less than my experience with the last 3 Ford vehicles at a similar stage in time. The only one thus far being a misaligned headlight which compares favourably against the GT-P which racked up 3 faults before the same 2,500 km mark.

Cheers
Russ

SEE THIS is what im talking about. U expect me to accept your single opinion on the quality of whatever car it is u own because off your own experiences, over that of a independant company testing many cars profesionaly.Not in their backyard. People here already have mentioned that some of the cars on the list are allready well known at the bottom of the ladder, giving a certain amount of credability to them right there.

And i didnt assume anything mate , i dont even know who u are. There was a large car segment in that test and the thread said in the begining that in that segment the 300cv8 was on the bottom. I think its fair for him to comment on that.
Old 15-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #28
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
U expect me to accept your single opinion on the quality of whatever car it is u own because off your own experiences, over that of a independant company testing many cars profesionaly.Not in their backyard.
I couldn't give a rat's rear end what you think of my opinion - nor did I ask you to give it any credence. What I said was that I will take note of the survey that is relevant to the vehicles we have here when it is released later this year.

Funnily enough, one of the aims of a forum is to allow for shared experiences; it's part of the value we add to each other as a community. Each individual can thus choose to assess the credibility of the information provided by individual members and then apply whatever weight to that they deem appropriate.

The negativity in your posts to that aspect of the forum life indicate where your head is at and your use of SMS style abbreviations equally indicates your lack of respect for your fellow members.

BY the way, the survey to which you attach so much credibility has nothing to do with actual testing of the cars. The surveys are the result of individual owner experiences that are simply collated for data analysis purposes.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
SEE THIS is what im talking about. U expect me to accept your single opinion on the quality of whatever car it is u own because off your own experiences,
Why do you think the Person started the thread in the 1st place, to ask others personal experiences who have driven or owned these vechiles listed in the 1st post, have you driven or owned any of them?

Personal experiences I would regard over a journalist any day, what does a person have to gain as we don't sell cars we drive them.
SRT8 is a fine looking car and performs well, I have looked over the SRT8 and the interior and exterior is of a high standard.

If you get a chance instead of trying to be objective towards every-ones post, go down to your Chrysler dealer and check out the SRT 8 and any of the cars in question then come back and post your thoughts and experiences.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Road Ahead June July issue, 300C is expensive to own.
12 Common parts bin items. 300C $7333. Falcon $ 2590. Maxima $3696. Hyundai $5020. VW Passat $3080.
Insurance 300C $1387. Falcon $616. Maxima $707. VW $845. Hyundai $ 765.
Service Costs $ 300C $12003. Falcon $678. Maxima $1207. Hyundai $1225. VW $1859
Interesting ! Holden couldn't supply a Calais, as none avaialble due to runout for VE.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post